Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rchx  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 6:59:32 PM(UTC)
rchx

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Greeting

Just received DR approval letter after 10 months of waiting. But now I start to worry what's going to happen next.

When the time I applied for DR, I did not hire lawyer or consulting anyone, just submitting the forms and totally put it behind because I was told the chance to get DR approved is very low.
I tried to find jobs to keep my life going and I could barely make ends meet till 2 months ago I got hired by USPS as a RCA, a sub position without any benefit (leave, retirement), but at least my short term life is easier.

And now, all of a sudden, my DR is approved!
I sort of digging into the DR requirements and realizing that if I am working for Federal Government again, the approved DR would be stopped.

Is the RCA job considered as a Federal employee?

Should I quit the RCA job and waiting for whatever is going to happen to me next? or
should I give up the approved DR and waiting for my turn to be a regular Rural carrier getting the salary might be similar with what I might get from DR?

any suggestion would be appreciated.

GSBS  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 8:07:21 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 214 post(s)
You can't collect both if that's what you're asking? Since you are certified now as disabled I'm not sure you can continue on in your new Federal employment until medically cleared to do so. Of course the pension would then stop as well
thanks 1 user thanked GSBS for this useful post.
rchx on 10/13/2018(UTC)
Frogger  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 8:12:52 PM(UTC)
Frogger

United States

Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 90 post(s)
Congratulations.... I think.
rchx  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 8:40:21 PM(UTC)
rchx

United States

Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post
You can't collect both if that's what you're asking? Since you are certified now as disabled I'm not sure you can continue on in your new Federal employment until medically cleared to do so. Of course the pension would then stop as well

thank you for your response, but seems I confused you; (RCA does not have pension)

If possible I prefer to quit RCA job to keep the approved DR. Because I already feel the stress of the RCA job, I don't think I can keep this job for long. BTW, I am disabled because of depression caused by stress coming from my previous job.

I am wondering if they will ask me to pay back the money I earned from the RCA job for the past 2 months? or I might lost my DR simply because of this RCA job?

thanks again

GSBS  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2018 1:30:20 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Originally Posted by: rchx Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post

thank you for your response, but seems I confused you; (RCA does not have pension)

If possible I prefer to quit RCA job to keep the approved DR. Because I already feel the stress of the RCA job, I don't think I can keep this job for long. BTW, I am disabled because of depression caused by stress coming from my previous job.

I am wondering if they will ask me to pay back the money I earned from the RCA job for the past 2 months? or I might lost my DR simply because of this RCA job?

thanks again

You are welcome but please don't take my answer over any applicable OPM rule or regulation. I don't know if you will get SSDI and have to deal with that offset, however there is a $1 to $1 offset if you start earning any money with the Government, a few exceptions. Then there's the 80% Earnings Limitation before you are considered restored. Then there's the yearly earnings statement, how do you explain the employer and job you took? Not to mention any back pay due could have been wiped out. More importantly, what are you going to do with the current job? Any job but that one, sounds like a mess!

rchx on 10/26/2018(UTC)
Rivkah  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 6:06:38 AM(UTC)
Rivkah

United States

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
An RCA is not a career position, has no benefits and no guarantee of becoming career.It is also part time. The post office is also an extremely stressful place to work. After working only 2 months, can they say the stress was too much. They attempted to work but could no longer sustain it.
thanks 1 user thanked Rivkah for this useful post.
rchx on 10/26/2018(UTC)
rchx  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 1:40:01 PM(UTC)
rchx

United States

Thanks again for all you input your opinions here.
After several days digging into the rules I think I lost my DR since the time I took the RCA job.
Please tell me I am wrong.....

"Reemployment in a government job will cause your annuity to stop if:

-you are a disability annuitant whom OPM has found recovered or restored to earning capacity prior to reemployment;
-you are a disability annuitant who was not disabled for your National Guard Technician position but were awarded a disability annuity because you were medically disqualified for continued membership in the National Guard;

--->your annuity is based on an involuntary separation (other than a separation that was required by law based on your age and length of service or a separation for cause on charges of misconduct or delinquency) and your new appointment is permanent in nature (for example career, career-conditional or excepted); or

you receive a presidential appointment subject to retirement deductions.
"
Frogger  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 2:10:33 PM(UTC)
Frogger

United States

I wouldn’t necessarily think that as you can work until the agency separated you, meaning the one you retired from. I might resign from that position, unless you prefer to work it instead of retirement.
thanks 1 user thanked Frogger for this useful post.
rchx on 10/26/2018(UTC)
rchx  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 2:21:49 PM(UTC)
rchx

United States

I stopped working in post office since Monday, not resigned yet.

Do you think I can still keep my approved DR if I resign now?

gembarok  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 2:34:59 PM(UTC)
gembarok

Man
United States

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Greetings,

It is a little more complicated than that.

Read page 3.

https://www.opm.gov/reti...ms/pamphlets/ri90-18.pdf

Your annuity doesn't stop unless you are restored to full earning capacity.

RCA's if I am not mistaken are excepted service positions. You won't achieve career status and I believe you are TEMP (they may call it FLEX) not even Part-time. (Part-time guaranties you 20 hours and benefits) You should have gotten a SF50 and it will tell you that. I believe you do get sick and annual leave after a period of time. We consider it OASDI time because you pay into Social Security as your retirement, not into FERS.

I don't really know much about it because I honestly don't care... awful jobs. I seriously doubt you have lost your FERS DR approval if you only worked two months. I will offer a word of caution to anyone who receives VA Disability, SSDI, or FERS DR on a mental health basis... Be VERY careful. Those are very subjective approvals based on opinion that you fought very hard for. Don't set yourself up by accomplishing things you weren't supposed to be able to do.

S/
K

Edited by user Thursday, November 08, 2018 11:12:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: FICA should have said FERS. Corrected

thanks 2 users thanked gembarok for this useful post.
rchx on 10/26/2018(UTC), GSBS on 11/4/2018(UTC)
SD Analyst  
#11 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 2:35:14 PM(UTC)
S D Analyst

Was thanked: 389 time(s) in 333 post(s)
Thanks again for all you input your opinions here.
After several days digging into the rules I think I lost my DR since the time I took the RCA job.
Please tell me I am wrong.....

"Reemployment in a government job will cause your annuity to stop if:

-you are a disability annuitant whom OPM has found recovered or restored to earning capacity prior to reemployment;
-you are a disability annuitant who was not disabled for your National Guard Technician position but were awarded a disability annuity because you were medically disqualified for continued membership in the National Guard;

--->your annuity is based on an involuntary separation (other than a separation that was required by law based on your age and length of service or a separation for cause on charges of misconduct or delinquency) and your new appointment is permanent in nature (for example career, career-conditional or excepted); or

you receive a presidential appointment subject to retirement deductions.
"

As far as I can tell, none of these apply to you. An RCA appointment is not a PERMANENT appointment! It is a non-career position. Still, if you aren't sure, I would resign. It doesn't sound like a good position for you, due to the stress you have already experienced in the short time you've been on the job.

Edited by user Friday, October 26, 2018 2:37:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked S D Analyst for this useful post.
gembarok on 10/26/2018(UTC), rchx on 10/26/2018(UTC)
rchx  
#12 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2018 4:16:05 PM(UTC)
rchx

United States

Greetings.

After considering your analysis and suggestions; I resigned from postal service and working for another company now.
Thank you all for provided information here and private messages, you guys are super helpful.

rchx

thanks 1 user thanked rchx for this useful post.
GSBS on 11/3/2018(UTC)
GSBS  
#13 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2018 1:16:22 PM(UTC)
GSBS

On the main page there is a section where you can ask Ed Zurndorfer a question. He only takes specific benefit questions and is part of this site, not just a member. You might want to contact him as he is very sharp and benefits focused.
https://forum.federalsou...lt.aspx?g=topics&f=6

There is also old Reg Jones over at Federal Digest. He is over one hundred and can be quite crabby but was the former OPM Benefits director. He answered one question for me once.

http://retirement.federaltimes.com/

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

And if you want to order any Nike, Prada or Lebron James stuff as always get in touch with zhaoxinying29. 8000 posts and growing!
rchx on 11/10/2018(UTC)
Frogger  
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2018 2:49:10 PM(UTC)
Frogger

United States

Can we block zhao and their Christmas list?
thanks 1 user thanked Frogger for this useful post.
GSBS on 11/4/2018(UTC)
rchx  
#15 Posted : Thursday, November 08, 2018 9:06:44 AM(UTC)
rchx

United States

Just called OPM again and finally I am 99% certain that there is no way I can reply on annuity's FEHB for a certain period of time... unless a miracle...

Does anyone know if there's any other health benefit resource from Federal service I can rely upon for health coverage?
thanks
rchx

Edited by user Thursday, November 08, 2018 9:19:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gembarok  
#16 Posted : Thursday, November 08, 2018 11:21:44 AM(UTC)
gembarok

Man
United States

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Just called OPM again and finally I am 99% certain that there is no way I can reply on annuity's FEHB for a certain period of time... unless a miracle...

Does anyone know if there's any other health benefit resource from Federal service I can rely upon for health coverage?
thanks
rchx

Greetings,

I don't think anyone can help you with the scarcity of information you have provided. If you are a veteran with a disability rating you can get VA treatment. I see above you state you are working for a new employer. Be careful you don't make to much money and risk the FERS DR you just got approved for. I don't remember if you applied for SSDI or not. You have options if you meet certain criteria. I am not sure you ever got an answer as to whether or not you still are approved for FERS DR.

S/
K
thanks 1 user thanked gembarok for this useful post.
rchx on 11/10/2018(UTC)
rchx  
#17 Posted : Thursday, November 08, 2018 11:38:56 AM(UTC)
rchx

United States

Hi GSBS,

I PM'd you and thinking there might be someone here interested to know the information as well so I posted it here too.

Interesting that you asked me about the FEHB, I do wish I can be covered by FEHB! It's cheaper ($372) and is CareFirst with good coverage!

But seems to me the Benefit will not start until PM finalized.
After I called OPM twice, all I can get is "Claim 1 group" is processing it and FEHB is coming with the "Booklet" (blue book) and that means when my PM being finalized, right? and
I was told in the 2nd call that 99% chance the finalization will not be happening in 2018.

remember? my case just got approved, not finalized.... in case you miss understand me again.

peace
rchx

GSBS  
#18 Posted : Thursday, November 08, 2018 12:53:08 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Hi GSBS,

I PM'd you and thinking there might be someone here interested to know the information as well so I posted it here too.

Interesting that you asked me about the FEHB, I do wish I can be covered by FEHB! It's cheaper ($372) and is CareFirst with good coverage!

But seems to me the Benefit will not start until PM finalized.
After I called OPM twice, all I can get is "Claim 1 group" is processing it and FEHB is coming with the "Booklet" (blue book) and that means when my PM being finalized, right? and
I was told in the 2nd call that 99% chance the finalization will not be happening in 2018.

remember? my case just got approved, not finalized.... in case you miss understand me again.

peace
rchx

Right of course, I just was trying to figure out when the FEHB in fact stopped. I understand you dumped your card because you wouldn't have the money to pay your co pay but that amount will be taken out of your finalization which takes up to a year these days. Did you ever receive a termination letter from your plan and were you ever offered TCC when you left your previous position. Here's the problem, if in fact your benefits stopped, usually for non payment of your part of the premium, OPM wont know about it, therefore not do anything about it, aside from continue to charge you. You asked what is going to happen next since your approval on Oct 13th, well first your agency has to forward more paperwork. OPM will probably issue any back pay for all the time waiting for approval, at least until you took that RCA job? You might need to find out who the person is working on your file if you are having a problem, they wont want to talk to you. Then OPM will put you on interim payments during this wait, look for a deposit in your bank account. I also doubt your finalization would be finished by 2018, this is the time of year it all slows down until after the MLK holiday. The bottom line, you were approved, you won although it can take time to process everything and hopefully the RCA job will have little impact on your finalization although it might come back to bite you in the butt!

rchx on 11/10/2018(UTC)
rchx  
#19 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2018 4:55:35 PM(UTC)
rchx

United States

Did you ever receive a termination letter from your plan and were you ever offered TCC when you left your previous position. Here's the problem, if in fact your benefits stopped, usually for non payment of your part of the premium, OPM wont know about it, therefore not do anything about it, aside from continue to charge you. You asked what is going to happen next since your approval on Oct 13th, well first your agency has to forward more paperwork. OPM will probably issue any back pay for all the time waiting for approval, at least until you took that RCA job? You might need to find out who the person is working on your file if you are having a problem, they wont want to talk to you. Then OPM will put you on interim payments during this wait, look for a deposit in your bank account. I also doubt your finalization would be finished by 2018, this is the time of year it all slows down until after the MLK holiday. The bottom line, you were approved, you won although it can take time to process everything and hopefully the RCA job will have little impact on your finalization although it might come back to bite you in the butt!

-- Did you ever receive a termination letter from your plan and were you ever offered TCC when you left your previous position.
nope, no termination letter and I've no TCC being offered.

I think I'd better stop thinking about how to keep the DR and simply living with what I have as if I've never being approved...
I will post what is going to happen next as an example in case any one else might needs help.

thanks for all responses trying to help me here.

rchx

GSBS  
#20 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2018 5:17:12 PM(UTC)
GSBS

I think I'd better stop thinking about how to keep the DR and simply living with what I have as if I've never being approved...
I will post what is going to happen next as an example in case any one else might needs help.

thanks for all responses trying to help me here.

rchx

Really I just wanted to find out if your coverage had in fact stopped working? I always held on to my card knowing it was junk for almost a year. This is a reason why you MUST get in touch with the worker doing your finalization, have the call center try and 'escalate' the inquiry. You will most likely be charged for your part of the FEHB benefits you don't even have and it could wipe out your backpay if due. Also a big NO on Obamacare!

Edited by user Saturday, November 10, 2018 5:20:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: `

Rss Feed  Atom Feed