Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

430 Pages«<428429430
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
patsnacks  
#8581 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 1:24:23 PM(UTC)
patsnacks

Groups: Registered
United States

I just received a Tentative Offer for ISO I at the Vermont Service Center. I interviewed back in early September, so it took a little longer than the projected 45 days.
Mac101  
#8582 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 1:35:25 PM(UTC)
Mac101

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: patsnacks Go to Quoted Post
I just received a Tentative Offer for ISO I at the Vermont Service Center. I interviewed back in early September, so it took a little longer than the projected 45 days.

Same, I just received a TO.
FormerFSO  
#8583 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2018 9:31:30 AM(UTC)
jsliving

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
As you may have seen from a previous post, I applied for the ISO2 in Salt Lake City/Denver (11 positions). I was interviewed by phone on 11/1 (GS-12 level) and it felt like it went great. They noted it might be up to three weeks for decisions to be made, though I was told that they would submit the list for approval that same afternoon. I know they are moving fast because my reference was contacted by email the day BEFORE the interview. I have never had a reference contacted before an interview so I don't know what, if anything, it means.

The timing is an issue because I have an in person 2nd round interview tomorrow for a non-federal job, which, while interesting and something I would likely accept independently, is a definite 2nd choice to USCIS. They are moving very fast and want someone on board by December 3rd. If offered the position, I will have to either accept it and probably put USCIS on hold for a few years or reject it on the possibility of a USCIS offer. I am highly disinclined to burn bridges by accepting and then declining the position later.

I would love any thoughts on recent USCIS hiring decisions.
Would letting USCIS know about an offer from the other employer help in getting USCIS to give me a further hint of their decision?
Has anyone else had references contacted prior to the interview? Would USCIS contact references with no intention of hiring?
Is there any chance that I might get an offer sooner than two weeks from the interview?

I realize this is overall a good situation to be in, but it of course has one potentially bad ending (reject the first job on the hopes of USCIS, no offer from USCIS). Thanks for any feedback!

Mike in VT  
#8584 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 4:12:45 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 61 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Letting USCIS know you have another offer will not affect the timing of USCIS's decision.

Contacting references has no corrolation with a job offer. It is sometimes used to weed out candidates.

Decisions can be 30 days or more after an interview.
jsliving  
#8585 Posted : Thursday, November 08, 2018 11:57:18 AM(UTC)
jsliving

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks Mike and others for all the thoughtful advice. Good news: I got the TO this morning and accepted! It took just 6 days from interview to TO so I am counting this as a small miracle.
Mac101  
#8586 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2018 3:12:54 AM(UTC)
Mac101

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello all,

To any of you that received a TO from Vermont this Monday, after sending your acceptance have you received another email with the next steps?

Thanks in advance.
Starry  
#8587 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2018 3:02:14 PM(UTC)
Starry

United States

Hi all,

Anything recent from PSC (Potomac Service Center)? Can anyone tell me when was the last hiring for ISO2??

Thanks,
Rss Feed  Atom Feed