Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LameUsername  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 10:38:24 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm on acqdemno now as a GS12 equivalent. I'm being moved up to a position that is a GS13 equivalent.

Does acqdemo require I be compensated as such, since the broadband remains the same?
Or does the flexability of acqdemo mean I could be promoted and receive no raise? OR a raise that still pays below a GS13-1?

I have to find out who is the SME on this locally, but thought I'd ask here just in case someone might have insight.
FedCivServ  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 12:43:23 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 136 post(s)
You are not getting promoted, to be perfectly correct about it. NH-III includes both GS 12 and 13. However, what normally happens is you will get offered a 6% pay bump to account for the higher level of responsibility. Do the math and make sure that amount will put you at least at the GS-13 step 1 equivalent pay, and if it won't, figure out what will and ask for that.
LameUsername  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 12:52:10 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: FedCivServ Go to Quoted Post
You are not getting promoted, to be perfectly correct about it. NH-III includes both GS 12 and 13. However, what normally happens is you will get offered a 6% pay bump to account for the higher level of responsibility. Do the math and make sure that amount will put you at least at the GS-13 step 1 equivalent pay, and if it won't, figure out what will and ask for that.

It would take a 14-15% increase which is still under the 20% max, but would need to be approved by higher HQ.
TrumpsterFire  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2018 3:34:53 PM(UTC)
TrumpsterFire

United States

I fear that AcqDemo is starting to show the same favoritism and flaws that NSPS produced in spades.
LameUsername  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2018 6:16:29 PM(UTC)

I’ve talked to 3 people at my base.

They all converted from a GS12 and were promoted from NHIII Tier 1s to NHIII Tier 2s two cycles ago.
NONE of them have reached the pay of a GS13-1 yet.

2 of the 3 I know for certain are high achievers and added supervisor duties with their “promotions”.

I do not expect for my pay to increase enough through 1 cycle.

I think AcqDemo has good intentions of course, but it’s not playing out like it was intended to.
FedCivServ  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2018 6:34:05 AM(UTC)

In my agency, the "floor" for NH-III Tier 2 is exactly on par with GS-13 step 1. i'm not sure how your agency or org defines the Tiers but that's generally what's done. You could always talk to the HR office and ask them to explain how it was done in your case and what the pay range is for NH-III Tier 2.
LameUsername  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2018 6:55:58 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: FedCivServ Go to Quoted Post
In my agency, the "floor" for NH-III Tier 2 is exactly on par with GS-13 step 1. i'm not sure how your agency or org defines the Tiers but that's generally what's done. You could always talk to the HR office and ask them to explain how it was done in your case and what the pay range is for NH-III Tier 2.

Our Tier I and Tier II have the same floor (GS12-1), but Tier II has the GS13 ceiling while Tier I is still the GS12 ceiling.
I have spoken with HR ad naseum, and continue to get the same useless response. And this is from the AcqDemo expert who I have a friendly work relationship with!

We are a small org, so I can ask about this kind of thing easily. No one here (so far) in this situation has been compensated at the GS13-1 level when promoted from Tier I to Tier II within AcqDemo.
I'm extremely disappointed in this system and don't this particular issue has anything to do with favortism.

Edited by user Friday, August 17, 2018 6:57:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FedCivServ  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2018 12:02:10 PM(UTC)

i'm not trying to be nit picky but it isn't a promotion to go from Tier 1 to Tier 2. You are within the same payband. If you went from NH-III to NH-IV, that would be a promotion. The original reason for pay bands was so you could move up the band commensurate w/ your responsibility and performance level w/o having to officially get promoted. i don't think it's acq demo per se that you should be disappointed in but rather your agency's application of it. It really works well in my org.
LameUsername  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2018 12:50:41 PM(UTC)

You are 100% correct.
My issues are with the application of it.

I do the work of a GS13 and 20% of the time I cover for a GS14.

I am compensated at the level of a GS12-2.
And I should not expect to reach a GS13-1 for at least two more years.

The application is bad, but to take a job that is a promotion in every way but name and pay seems like it should be recognized as such.
FedCivServ  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 1:19:48 PM(UTC)

Are there other organizations in your area that have acq demo that you could move to that DO apply it appropriately? i have never heard of having tiers that have the same floor for both. that makes no sense and how in the heck do they incentivize people to take the higher responsibility jobs if they aren't compensating them as such? If you can't leave, start documenting the crap out of everything you are doing at the 13 equivalent level (and 14 from what you say) and make sure to connect it to the mission and if you don't get a good pay bump, you can grieve your appraisal and ask for what you really deserve.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed