Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ask not  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2018 4:14:45 AM(UTC)
ask not

Groups: Registered

Now, foreigners who want to enter the US have to unlock their cell phones and show their private chats, texts to the border agents.

If the government spy on federal employee's personal computers and cell phones, they could get more information than personal interviews.

The government can hack into employees' personal computers, install some kind of spyware, etc.

Edited by user Tuesday, December 04, 2018 6:38:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Porgy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2018 6:37:08 AM(UTC)
Porgy

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have no doubt that the government has these capabilities. If criminals can do it, the government can, too.

The question is “will they do it”?

The difference between the government and malicious entities is that people in the government who have this capability are required to go through legal training (and get certified) before performing monitoring. They are not allowed to abuse information collected.

Government employees who perform illegal actions (such as abusing intelligence) and are caught are subject to disciplinary action. Performing monitoring without previous legal approval (including secret courts) undermines the legitimacy of these sorts of intelligence programs.

I strongly doubt that, unless you’re a suspected terrorist, you would be monitored any more than would be expected in the workplace. (I.e. any normal methods of monitoring for data exfil and employee activity).

During a background investigation, they might look at your public data, but they’re not going to be looking at your private Facebook messages or installing malware on your PERSONAL computer without a warrant. However, things that you do on government systems are subject to monitoring (which you will see when you log into any federal system). Private corporations perform similar monitoring of their employees and have things such as SSL decryption stacks in place to detect malicious activity. They can read your google hangouts chats if they wanted, but they usually don't because that's an invitation for a lawsuit.

Monitoring in the workplace is not a "government-only" thing.

So if you're on Facebook at work or are dumb enough to do it on your work phone while talking about that dope weed you got last week, yeah you're gonna be caught. If you're doing it on your personal devices, then it's not so likely unless you're visiting questionable sites and making lots of questionable purchases while evangelizing sentiments to overthrow the US government and/or other things that would get you put on a watch list. However, you do have to count on your friends/affiliates to not rat you out.

Edited by user Tuesday, December 04, 2018 6:52:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: I Typed my initial response on my phone, making it more clear here.

thanks 1 user thanked Porgy for this useful post.
S D Analyst on 12/10/2018(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed