Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

11 Pages«<56789>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NerdRedd  
#121 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2018 8:59:36 AM(UTC)
NerdRedd

Groups: Registered
United States

I'm hoping that our test results will come before the 20th for the ones who took it soon after the email came. *fingers crossed*
cmunozcpa  
#122 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2018 2:22:34 PM(UTC)
cmunozcpa

United States

Originally Posted by: NerdRedd Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: eldod Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: slowpoke Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: cooljul Go to Quoted Post
Mine changed to application received :(

Mine did as well but that was one of many changes.

Same thing here .... from Qualifications under review to Application Received in the IRS site however still at Qualifications under review in USAJOBS.GOV

Same here!

My status changed to Application Received on the IRS site :/
“As you think, so shall you become.” -Bruce Lee
JonnyRocketz  
#123 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 5:20:02 AM(UTC)
JonnyRocketz

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cmunozcpa Go to Quoted Post

Same thing here .... from Qualifications under review to Application Received in the IRS site however still at Qualifications under review in USAJOBS.GOV

Same here!

Mine changed to application received, as well. It was qualifications under review not too long ago.
NerdRedd  
#124 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 5:28:59 AM(UTC)
NerdRedd

United States

Originally Posted by: JonnyRocketz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: cmunozcpa Go to Quoted Post

Same here!

Mine changed to application received, as well. It was qualifications under review not too long ago.

Same thing here. I hope this is not a bad thing.
mexicali  
#125 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 10:59:30 AM(UTC)
mexicali

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello,
A newbie here! Any feedback/advise is greatly appreciated.

My status state “you have answered all the required questions for this grade”.

The same status shows on all 3 grades I applied - 7/9/11.
Have no clue is it bad or good.

Have a few questions:
1) What are the chances for getting Grade 11 for an outsider, who never worked for the IRS. Credentials - BS, Master in Tax, CPA..., public experience plus SALT audit experience

2) What is the next step? Would it be a several interviews?

3) Anyone knows what’s the tentative start date for this hiring?

VaVirgo79  
#126 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 11:03:51 AM(UTC)
VaVirgo79

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I can finally post replies. I've been trying since I created my new profile about a week ago.

I took my assessment on Tuesday and I am now saying Qualifications under review in career connector. I tried to get hired back in 2009 when I had just finished undergrad. Passed the assessment with a category A and I went into qualifications under review and never got a call for an interview. Hopefully 9 almost 10 years later, a masters degree and 7 years of accounting experience I will get an interview. I hope I get a category A with this new assessment. I forgot how much accounting questions was on it and I swear it wasn't that much in 2009. I had to really tap back into my accounting knowledge since the job I do now is dealing with sales and use tax and not actual accounting.

I have a friend on facebook who told me about the IRS hiring again as she works in the Houston office. She says they are desperate and really need people because so many people are retiring. I am hoping that will translate into me getting an interview this time.

I know earlier on this thread someone said they applied to the Houston office. My friend told me that her office said they aren't going to hire with this posting but they may change their mind. I hope the person who applied for Houston also applied for other offices or the Houston office changes their mind and decides to hire.
kippz  
#127 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 11:04:37 AM(UTC)
kippz

Hi All,

I wanted to know how the training looks like. Out of town, online? How long?

Thank you and best wishes to all of us!
VaVirgo79  
#128 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 11:08:02 AM(UTC)
VaVirgo79

United States

Originally Posted by: mexicali Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Have a few questions:
1) What are the chances for getting Grade 11 for an outsider, who never worked for the IRS. Credentials - BS, Master in Tax, CPA..., public experience plus SALT audit experience

Tentative start date is April 14th 2019. There is one interview after the assessment with several managers. I think usually 2 to 4 from what I have read. Have you taken the revenue agent exam yet? You take that exam before you are considered for an interview.

Edited by user Friday, December 07, 2018 11:10:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mexicali  
#129 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 11:16:00 AM(UTC)
mexicali

I did take the exam, I hope it registered, since there was no confirmation email and I recieved a few Amended exam request emails (discussed earlier in this forum) due to some sort of error on their part...
scottyd27  
#130 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 12:30:36 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mexicali Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Have a few questions:

1. What are the odds of getting an 11 for an outsider that never worked for the IRS? Slim and none. Most of those11s will be filled internally as internals will likely interview first.

2. Probably just one panel interview. Be patient nothing happens fast at the IRS. If there’s a deadline for HCO to start interviews it won’t happen until then.

3. April 14.
thanks 2 users thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
mexicali on 12/7/2018(UTC), kippz on 12/10/2018(UTC)
Rev Agent  
#131 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 5:02:45 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
"1) What are the chances for getting Grade 11 for an outsider, who never worked for the IRS. Credentials - BS, Master in Tax, CPA..., public experience plus SALT audit experience "

Back on 2010, I was brought on as an 11 with less credentials. There were quite a few 11s in my crop of trainees. They will bring you in at the highest grade that you qualify for.

Someone also asked about training. There are three phases to training. 1040, 1120 and flow through. They are in person courses and depending on how many trainees there are, there will be two or three training locations across the country.

1040 training was done in two sessions. The first was 8 or 9 weeks and the second was four weeks I think. Unless you live nearby you will stay nearby in a hotel. About 9 months later we went to 1120 training and we went to flow though about 9 months after that. Between training sessions you will receive on the job instruction

Edited by user Friday, December 07, 2018 5:04:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked for this useful post.
mexicali on 12/7/2018(UTC), kippz on 12/10/2018(UTC)
VaVirgo79  
#132 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 5:19:23 PM(UTC)
VaVirgo79

United States

Rev Agent my friend said the same thing to me about people being hired as 11’s. I made the comment to her that I doubt I would be able to qualify for GS11. She said she’s seen a good people in the last few years come in as 11’s. So she told me to definitely try. It’s not impossible.
ironman0786  
#133 Posted : Saturday, December 08, 2018 4:39:51 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rev Agent Go to Quoted Post
"1) What are the chances for getting Grade 11 for an outsider, who never worked for the IRS. Credentials - BS, Master in Tax, CPA..., public experience plus SALT audit experience "

Back on 2010, I was brought on as an 11 with less credentials. There were quite a few 11s in my crop of trainees. They will bring you in at the highest grade that you qualify for.

Someone also asked about training. There are three phases to training. 1040, 1120 and flow through. They are in person courses and depending on how many trainees there are, there will be two or three training locations across the country.

1040 training was done in two sessions. The first was 8 or 9 weeks and the second was four weeks I think. Unless you live nearby you will stay nearby in a hotel. About 9 months later we went to 1120 training and we went to flow though about 9 months after that. Between training sessions you will receive on the job instruction

How are they with taking a day off during the training sessions? If you get sick or have a family emergency, where you need to take a day or two off?

btw how long was training for the 1120 and flow through sessions?

Edited by user Saturday, December 08, 2018 4:40:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

trishka  
#134 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2018 6:02:49 AM(UTC)
trishka

Was thinking about updating my application to include more locations? Do you think this will improve or hurt my chances? Is it to late to edit my application?

slowpoke  
#135 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2018 6:06:13 AM(UTC)
slowpoke

United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: trishka Go to Quoted Post
Was thinking about updating my application to include more locations? Do you think this will improve or hurt my chances? Is it to late to edit my application?

They will ask for your preferences during the interview so you can let them know then.
thanks 1 user thanked slowpoke for this useful post.
trishka on 12/10/2018(UTC)
trishka  
#136 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2018 6:21:22 AM(UTC)
trishka

They will ask for your preferences during the interview so you can let them know then.

Right now I only listed an alternate location, I was thinking if I added a primary location I would have a better chance. After mulling over the locations, I am willing to make a move and/or fly in for an interview at a location if needed.
VaVirgo79  
#137 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2018 7:20:10 AM(UTC)
VaVirgo79

United States

Right now I only listed an alternate location, I was thinking if I added a primary location I would have a better chance. After mulling over the locations, I am willing to make a move and/or fly in for an interview at a location if needed.

I would update it and put a primary location also just to be on the safe side. They made it seem like they wouldn’t even call for interviews for alternate locations until primary locations were full. Not sure how true that is but that’s the way that I took it.
capucha  
#138 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 11:39:22 AM(UTC)
capucha

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
After reading through this thread I am totally confused. It seems like the hiring officials don't even really know what is going on. I applied to the RA hiring wave back in 2016, took the assessment, received a Cat B rating, interviewed, was offered a position, but I declined because I didn't want to move to another state at that time.

Fast forward to today. I applied again, only this time I was not invited to take the assessment. After 2 weeks of trying to reach someone at the hiring office to find out why I wasn't invited to take the assessment this time around, someone finally returned my phone call and explained that I was not invited to take the assessment because I took it in 2016 and based on that assessment, I am a Cat A, so they said I didn't need to take it again.

My first question is how can I have been a Cat B in 2016, but a Cat A now without retaking the assessment? Did they change the parameters for each Cat rating?

My second question is does it seem plausible that I wasn't invited to take the assessment this time because I already took it during the last hiring wave? Based on this thread, the assessment this time around is different, and in addition, others have commented that they also took the assessment in 2016, received a Cat A at that time, but were still invited to take it again this time around.

Does it sound like the info the hiring official gave me could have been bogus?
slowpoke  
#139 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 12:19:12 PM(UTC)
slowpoke

United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: capucha Go to Quoted Post
After reading through this thread I am totally confused. It seems like the hiring officials don't even really know what is going on. I applied to the RA hiring wave back in 2016, took the assessment, received a Cat B rating, interviewed, was offered a position, but I declined because I didn't want to move to another state at that time.

Fast forward to today. I applied again, only this time I was not invited to take the assessment. After 2 weeks of trying to reach someone at the hiring office to find out why I wasn't invited to take the assessment this time around, someone finally returned my phone call and explained that I was not invited to take the assessment because I took it in 2016 and based on that assessment, I am a Cat A, so they said I didn't need to take it again.

My first question is how can I have been a Cat B in 2016, but a Cat A now without retaking the assessment? Did they change the parameters for each Cat rating?

My second question is does it seem plausible that I wasn't invited to take the assessment this time because I already took it during the last hiring wave? Based on this thread, the assessment this time around is different, and in addition, others have commented that they also took the assessment in 2016, received a Cat A at that time, but were still invited to take it again this time around.

I was offered a TCO position during 2016 but declined because I couldn't move at the time. They said I was Cat B. When I got interviewed they asked me my preferences of offices which I gave them. Then another office called and they said I was Cat A. I asked what happened with the category change and they said based on the number of applicants at that particular office I was in the higher ranking. So it may be ranking per office coupled with experience/resume changes your category.

Edited by user Tuesday, December 11, 2018 12:20:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked slowpoke for this useful post.
capucha on 12/11/2018(UTC)
VaVirgo79  
#140 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 12:25:43 PM(UTC)
VaVirgo79

United States

Originally Posted by: capucha Go to Quoted Post

I remember I read something in one of the old threads up here that they changed the assessment in 2012 or 2014 I can’t remember exactly what year. So someone like me who took it in 2009 would have to take it over because I hadn’t took it since they introduced the updated version. You’ve taken it since they updated it so you are ok.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed