Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

5 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NicNell  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2018 2:46:21 PM(UTC)
NicNell

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Several weeks ago I was told that I’ll be trained on App 55 sometime in December. I have a feeling that I’ll never get off the phones again between toll free and this.

...really hoping that I’m considered for some of the other positions I applied to.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2018 3:17:07 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NicNell Go to Quoted Post
Several weeks ago I was told that I’ll be trained on App 55 sometime in December. I have a feeling that I’ll never get off the phones again between toll free and this.

...really hoping that I’m considered for some of the other positions I applied to.

We are going to drown in calls. The TACs will be booked solid. Paper inventory will become tremendously huge.

Next processing year is the trial by fire for many of us. There will be scorchmarks. There will be retirements & resignations. The Congress may yet still slash our budget further.
NicNell  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2018 6:38:02 PM(UTC)
NicNell

Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post

We are going to drown in calls. The TACs will be booked solid. Paper inventory will become tremendously huge.

Next processing year is the trial by fire for many of us. There will be scorchmarks. There will be retirements & resignations. The Congress may yet still slash our budget further.

I’m afraid you might be right. I’m really not looking forward to the start of filing season AT ALL. Everyone is miserable already so I can only imagine how bad it’s going to get.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 7:56:18 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was Commissioner Rettig a cheerleader in high school or college? We do seem to hear from him more than we heard from Commissioner Koskinen or Assistant Secretary for Tax Policy/Acting Commissioner Kautter.
spence  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 11:50:35 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
He just started, so of course he introduced himself, and now it's holiday season. The commissioner always sends messages every holiday. I don't think he has sent any more than usual. Koskinen was constantly asking for feedback and suggestions when he started, as well as praising our work ethic and the scale of our results every filing season despite the challenges we faced, which he also wanted to hear about.

I will say I'm relieved the new commissioner hasn't come in wanting to change everything and destroy the IRS, given who appointed him.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 20, 2018 11:55:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LieutenantBlantyre  
#26 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2018 7:58:18 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

The nice people in the Congress haven't come up with a budget yet to cover us past December 7th. Time is running out and this week's schedule in the House doesn't have anything appropriations-related on it. There was fracas at the border today where a mob rushed the border pelting our fellow NTEU members in CBP with rocks. Some tear gas rounds got fired off by CBP while the unhappy migrants were trying to collapse portions of the border wall in San Ysidro throw brute force by massed quantities of people. POTUS has said he'll veto the budget bill if he doesn't get the border wall funding he wants.

I suspect we may get some days with missing pay perhaps.
Hired 2015  
#27 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2018 11:17:23 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
My seasonal contract is up in Dec and it hasn't been extended. I'm fine with taking next season off.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#28 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2018 1:49:33 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post
My seasonal contract is up in Dec and it hasn't been extended. I'm fine with taking next season off.

Unless something changes, we're still designated essential-excepted. We're going to have an exciting week.
spence  
#29 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2018 3:00:34 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post

Confused what you mean by this. Any kind of govt shutdown isn't going to last more than a few weeks at most, if it happens at all, so doesn't matter for that.

Assuming you're a career/career-conditional seasonal in the competitive service, which almost all of us who are seasonals are, you don't need an "extension." Are you on a time-limited temporary or term appointment? If not, this is your permanent seasonal job, and you will be recalled if released. You also are past probation, I assume. The seasonal agreement is just to give you an idea of how long the season is expected to last every year. You have the job and there is no extension necessary. It's just paperwork. There is also a new seasonal agreement every year showing the expected length of season. People who have worked their seasonal agreement for the year have an easier time volunteering for seasonal release, but for 2019, that should be based on 2019's new seasonal agreement you sign, not an extended one from 2018.

Whenever people are being put on seasonal release, there are release/recall procedures to rank people to follow, and career/career-conditional seasonals who have passed probation would be called back for next season.

People do also have the option of asking not to be recalled for up to year and skip a season, for legitimate personal reasons such as schooling. But that has nothing to do with a 2018 seasonal agreement not being extended past December 2018. There will be a new seasonal agreement for 2019.

Edited by user Saturday, December 1, 2018 3:48:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
LieutenantBlantyre on 12/2/2018(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre  
#30 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2018 9:50:48 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Quote:
Trump assents to shutdown delay https://politi.co/2KLWAOv via @politico

I understand the reasoning discussed in the article. However, until I see a bill that has passed both chambers in the same form presented to the President that has received his signature to become law it is all just talk. I know it would be just a one-liner bill. My doubts are there as to whether or not something this simple could even be done right now. My gut reaction is that too many people are too far gone psycho-socially and that this will easily get screwed up but I've been thankfully wrong before.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2018 7:07:25 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

The bill we're waiting on the passage of through both chambers and signature by the President is House Joint Resolution 143. That'll kick the can to Christmas. The House convenes at 1200 ET on December 6th with no known set agenda as the previous one was ditched. The Senate convenes at 0930 ET on December 6th but their agenda currently says: "Convene and proceed to executive session to resume consideration of the nomination of Bernard L. McNamee, of Virginia, to be a Member of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.". The clock runs out at 2359 ET on December 7th.

Will they dare to be stupid? Time will tell...

phillysteak  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 10:58:56 AM(UTC)
phillysteak

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Are we on any kind of furlough at the moment?? I took volunteer furlough for about a month already, just wondering if there is a service wide furlough yet or not.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 12, 2018 11:00:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LieutenantBlantyre  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 11:35:01 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: phillysteak Go to Quoted Post
Are we on any kind of furlough at the moment?? I took volunteer furlough for about a month already, just wondering if there is a service wide furlough yet or not.

We're AHOD everything on the phones right now. Level of Service has been dipping as low as 50% on AM phones at points during the day. There is virtually no chance of a service-wide furlough before calendar year 2019 begins.

We'll see you when you report back for duty.
chriswt25  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 1:17:26 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)

We're AHOD everything on the phones right now. Level of Service has been dipping as low as 50% on AM phones at points during the day. There is virtually no chance of a service-wide furlough before calendar year 2019 begins.

I wouldn't put it past them to furlough the seasonal's right before the possible shutdown that may happen 12/21. This way they would not have to pay the seasonal's when everything is resolved. Would force people to go for unemployment. Even if a shutdown is avoided, they could just tell people to come back 1/2/09 or 1/7/09.

Would be the same tactic that was employed in the 2013 shutdown. Been here long enough to know anything is possible.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 12, 2018 1:19:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked chriswt25 for this useful post.
PrimaDawna on 12/12/2018(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 4:47:14 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post

I wouldn't put it past them to furlough the seasonal's right before the possible shutdown that may happen 12/21. This way they would not have to pay the seasonal's when everything is resolved. Would force people to go for unemployment. Even if a shutdown is avoided, they could just tell people to come back 1/2/09 or 1/7/09.

Would be the same tactic that was employed in the 2013 shutdown. Been here long enough to know anything is possible.

With the ratios being what they are, I don't think there is much money to save throwing seasonal staff overboard before a potential shutdown. Recent perm conversions got us down to seasonals being only one-third of staff in most locations as it is. It might cost more to do the release/recall dance than to avoid it.

DirectorAM in Atlanta is driving some nasty requirements for skill-ups at the remotes on tax law with barely enough time before the new season opens. Cleveland's first half of the required number won't be out of that until January 9th. Over half the Cleveland site will be rushed through some tax law certification(s) of some sort before the season opens.

The other reason that I don't think we'd do it is that the new hires we just brought aboard at the end of October may full well not come back. Being potentially booted after just 8 weeks on the job makes us look horrible. POTUS and the Democrats appear ready to tough it out for quite a while especially with the ***** sandwich both sides offer to each other.

We'll see what erupts. No bookie in Vegas will take a bet on the upcoming result.
NicNell  
#36 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 5:30:30 PM(UTC)
NicNell

Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post

With the ratios being what they are, I don't think there is much money to save throwing seasonal staff overboard before a potential shutdown. Recent perm conversions got us down to seasonals being only one-third of staff in most locations as it is. It might cost more to do the release/recall dance than to avoid it.

DirectorAM in Atlanta is driving some nasty requirements for skill-ups at the remotes on tax law with barely enough time before the new season opens. Cleveland's first half of the required number won't be out of that until January 9th. Over half the Cleveland site will be rushed through some tax law certification(s) of some sort before the season opens.

The other reason that I don't think we'd do it is that the new hires we just brought aboard at the end of October may full well not come back. Being potentially booted after just 8 weeks on the job makes us look horrible. POTUS and the Democrats appear ready to tough it out for quite a while especially with the ***** sandwich both sides offer to each other.

We'll see what erupts. No bookie in Vegas will take a bet on the upcoming result.

Does anyone know if we’re considered essential or non-essential this time around?
PrimaDawna  
#37 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 5:48:59 PM(UTC)
PrimaDawna

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I am in SBSE and we have overtime for the next week and will likely start again after the dead cycle.

LieutenantBlantyre  
#38 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 5:53:39 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

{snip}

Does anyone know if we’re considered essential or non-essential this time around?

According to the 9 day old contingency plan at https://home.treasury.gov/system...ng-Season_2018-12-03.pdf CSRs in both AM & ACS won’t be considered essential-excepted through December 31st. All bets are off at the start of the new year. With POTUS being “tired and emotional” on-camera, that plan could change at the drop of a hat so periodically check https://www.treasury.gov/SitePolicies/Pages/plans.aspx.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#39 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2018 7:50:11 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Are we daring to be stupid in DC?

Yes, yes we are. From POLITICO: Trump keeps GOP in suspense over shutdown: Senate Republicans want to avoid a shutdown over Trump’s border wall, but they’re waiting on the president to provide a plan.

None of the mainstream media even wants to admit Treasury would even be impacted by a shutdown. I find that interesting. With filing season looming, they're holding that potential crisis in their back pockets (metaphorically speaking) for later use.

I don't like this quote from the article:

Quote:
A former White House official who spoke with Trump Friday said the president is relishing in the fact that Republicans are awaiting his signal and letting him set the terms.

Trump wants to “maximize drama,” per another Republican close to the White House.

Now, this throws the behavioral model a bit askew in the wargame. We were already looking essentially at a replay of the face-off between President Clinton and Speaker Gingrich. The power dynamic got screwy in that conflict in the 1990s because the President could speak with a single voice while you have 535 members of Congress that are very hard to keep singing from the same hymnal. In 2018 heading into 2019 with things like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram (did you know about the IRSNews account there?) and the like keeping a unified voice from Congress is going to be nearly impossible while POTUS can dominate the media himself as long as he can stay on-script. The skewing is that if he's now treating this like a Reality TV show, he'll be a bit more disciplined and may hold out as long as he can. That reinforces the potential of following the pattern of the Clinton-Gingrich face-off from the 1990s.

The departmental offices made the contingency plans page look prettier but nothing has changed at this hour as to our bureau-level plan. Every ACS and AM CR gets sent home regardless of permanent or seasonal status if we shutdown. Considering that we're hitting the dead cycle this wouldn't be a bad thing. Putting an error message on the main lines saying that nobody is home and to call back another time would be priceless but I doubt JOC would do it.

The House will be back on Wednesday. The Senate currently is messing around with the FIRST STEP Act for "criminal justice reform" which puts all sorts of naughty people out of prisons. There is no known bill number for a new continuing resolution at this time. There is no known bill number for a final appropriations bill.

Pray. This grudge match between septuagenarians is not a good thing.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#40 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 7:29:06 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Anybody else get e-mail from their union chapter so far this week suggesting preparing for the worst this weekend?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed