Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

162 Pages«<89101112>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cmunozcpa  
#181 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 11:57:51 AM(UTC)
cmunozcpa

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cpajay1221 Go to Quoted Post
Hey everyone! Former RA here. Haven’t posted here in awhile. I’ve been in public for the past 6 years. Figured I would follow all of the action on here.

Applied to 4 Michigan locations and 2 in Texas. Only applied for GS 11. Cat A rating back today.

Interesting career moves. I am in public looking to jet! These long hours are no longer for me.
“As you think, so shall you become.” -Bruce Lee
N.E.R.D.  
#182 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 12:08:37 PM(UTC)
N.E.R.D.

United States

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Hey everyone! Former RA here. Haven’t posted here in awhile. I’ve been in public for the past 6 years. Figured I would follow all of the action on here.

Applied to 4 Michigan locations and 2 in Texas. Only applied for GS 11. Cat A rating back today.

So what was it like being a RA? What location did you work at?
CPAHopefull  
#183 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 1:53:01 PM(UTC)
CPAHopefull

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Well, I got category B this time around - think I made category A on the last test. I got an interview offer last time around, but had just started another job, so declined it at that time.

Guess I should have taken it then. It's been a while since I studied a lot of that stuff for the CPA exam.
Cpajay1221  
#184 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 2:15:18 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cmunozcpa Go to Quoted Post

Interesting career moves. I am in public looking to jet! These long hours are no longer for me.

I get that! The long hours and the business development requirements really take a toll after awhile. We are just starting a family so priorities have changed.
Cpajay1221  
#185 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 2:17:52 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: NerdRedd Go to Quoted Post

So what was it like being a RA? What location did you work at?

Interesting work! You really get to learn a good deal about a number of different industries. I had some crazy cases. I’ll share more when I have a few minutes to type stories.

I worked in the Austin, Texas POD for two years. Moved back to Michigan to be closer to family.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
N.E.R.D. on 12/15/2018(UTC)
mexicali  
#186 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 2:35:04 PM(UTC)
mexicali

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Someone mentioned that the interviews will be only in January/February...will it take that long?

Also, what’s the pay for gs9 and 11. Is there an adjustment for bigger metropolitan areas, like Chicago, Houston, Denver, etc.? I guess whats the range to look for?

Thank you,
DRam2500  
#187 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 4:38:07 PM(UTC)
DRam2500

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Cat A Grade 9.
Krystal458  
#188 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 4:49:28 PM(UTC)
Krystal458

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mexicali Go to Quoted Post
Someone mentioned that the interviews will be only in January/February...will it take that long?

Also, what’s the pay for gs9 and 11. Is there an adjustment for bigger metropolitan areas, like Chicago, Houston, Denver, etc.? I guess whats the range to look for?

Thank you,

There is just google GS Payscale Chicago and you can see what the pay is for each grade. It’s all public information
thanks 1 user thanked Krystal458 for this useful post.
mexicali on 12/14/2018(UTC)
Nathan Drake  
#189 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 6:55:07 PM(UTC)
Nathan Drake

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)

Thank you,

Here's the link to the pay scales: https://www.opm.gov/poli...s/2018/general-schedule/
mexicali  
#190 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 6:56:15 PM(UTC)
mexicali

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 21 post(s)
What step do new hires start at? Step 1?
GS11 Step 1 is paying roughly high $40Ks - low $60Ks. This is ridiculous. College grads are getting higher offers from public firms...GS11 asks for significant experience and knowledge..
Can I negotiate or the HR is locked in salary brackets?
thanks 1 user thanked mexicali for this useful post.
USMC03 on 12/14/2018(UTC)
cooljul  
#191 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 8:01:24 PM(UTC)
cooljul

Was thanked: 102 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Where do you see it in the 40’s? I don’t think that’s accurate. It’s at least in the 60’s and even higher in high COL areas
thanks 1 user thanked cooljul for this useful post.
spence on 12/15/2018(UTC)
Cpajay1221  
#192 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 8:37:16 PM(UTC)

What step do new hires start at? Step 1?
GS11 Step 1 is paying roughly high $40Ks - low $60Ks. This is ridiculous. College grads are getting higher offers from public firms...GS11 asks for significant experience and knowledge..
Can I negotiate or the HR is locked in salary brackets?

You can negotiate between steps at different levels. Be prepared to be able to argue your worth though. Not always a ton of wiggle room especially with increased interest. Government jobs typically offer better benefits and better stability (once you’ve put in three years) than public and with the extra pay comes the expectation of working a lot of extra hours. It depends on what you are looking for. You’ll almost always make more in the public sector.

Edited by user Friday, December 14, 2018 8:47:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

spence  
#193 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2018 12:31:27 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cooljul Go to Quoted Post
Where do you see it in the 40’s? I don’t think that’s accurate. It’s at least in the 60’s and even higher in high COL areas

This is correct. GS-11, Step 1, in Rest of U.S., which is the lowest possible pay area, was $61,218 in 2018.
jaylakent  
#194 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2018 4:48:12 AM(UTC)
jaylakent

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 20 post(s)
You will get promoted to GS 12 (max journey level) fairly quickly. One grade per year until you hit max 12, as long as you are succeeds (which means average). Don't look at that "short-term" - Look at the long term goals. If you want to just make lots of money, then a government job may not be for you. Even our max executives don't make more than $175K-$200K. For me I could work a public sector job locally, maybe make $20-40K more per year, but I have a pension, matching 401K (TSP), awesome work schedule, work from home, public student loan forgiveness (PSLF), I can keep going with the perks.
I was in private practice for a few years out of college/grad school (I have a masters) then got hired with IRS in 2009. I worked the mandatory 6-days a week during tax season, little vacation, no pension, etc. A lot of other people in private I talked to who were CPA’s were working to death and trying to make partner, fighting over clients – I figured out that the rat race was not for me. I'm much happier with the service.

Grade/steps are automatic each year unless you don't meet "average" performance. If you come in as a 5/7/9/11 – then you should go to the next grade automatically each year until you max at 12. The first 4 steps are each year, then step 5, 6 and 7 every two years, 8,9,10 are every 3 years. We used to have to compete for 12’s, but now it’s automatic. After 5-10 years, depending on the POD you are in, you can compete for a GS 13. You can go into management, you can become a subject matter expert, compete for GS 14, go into tech services, appeals, or switch jobs into collections or taxpayer advocate. The sky is the limit depending on your lifestyle, goals, and motivation.

Being an RA is a very independent job. You have your case load, have to manage your inventory, and know how to work with people. You will have situations where people are not cooperative, angry about having audit/adjustments, etc, etc. It's has its issues, but so does any job. I had clients in private practice never happy, but as an RA I do have control over the exam and make my own decisions. The administrative procedures will get overwhelming sometimes, and lots of pressure to maintain security, bureaucracy - but its government. I go into the field maybe 2-3 times per month for interview/tour of business, then rest of time I’m at home or once a week in office writing/closing cases.
Best of luck to all who get offers. Be aware the first few years are difficult – especially if you come in from the outside. Mainly learning the administrative stuff, getting all your access, passwords, and clearances. The training is away from home a lot, but once you are finished with your training – in my opinion –it’s an awesome job.

Edited by user Saturday, December 15, 2018 6:18:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 7 users thanked jaylakent for this useful post.
Cpajay1221 on 12/15/2018(UTC), mexicali on 12/15/2018(UTC), cmunozcpa on 12/15/2018(UTC), N.E.R.D. on 12/15/2018(UTC), DRam2500 on 12/17/2018(UTC), CPAFederalhope on 2/1/2019(UTC), TaxesR'Us on 2/28/2019(UTC)
Cpajay1221  
#195 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2018 5:56:51 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: jaylakent Go to Quoted Post
You will get promoted to GS 12 (max journey level) fairly quickly. One grade per year until you hit max 12, as long as you are succeeds (which means average). Don't look at that "short-term" - Look at the long term goals. If you want to just make lots of money, then a government job may not be for you. Even our max executives don't make more than $175K-$200K. For me I could work a public sector job locally, maybe make $20-40K more per year, but I have a pension, matching 401K (TSP), awesome work schedule, work from home, public student loan forgiveness (PSLF), I can keep going with the perks.
I was in private practice for a few years out of college/grad school (I have a masters) then got hired with IRS in 2009. I worked the mandatory 6-days a week during tax season, little vacation, no pension, etc. A lot of other people in private I talked to who were CPA’s were working to death and trying to make partner, fighting over clients – I figured out that the rat race was not for me. I'm much happier with the service.

Grade/steps are automatic each year unless you don't meet "average" performance. If you come in as a 5/7/9/11 – then you should go to the next grade automatically each year until you max at 12. The first 4 steps are each year, then step 5, 6 and 7 every two years, 8,9,10 are every 3 years. We used to have to compete for 12’s, but now it’s automatic. After 5-10 years, depending on the POD you are in, you can compete for a GS 13. You can go into management, you can become a subject matter expert, compete for GS 14, go into tech services, appeals, or switch jobs into collections or taxpayer advocate. The ceiling is the limit depending on your lifestyle, goals, and motivation.

Being an RA is a very independent job. You have your case load, have to manage your inventory, and know how to work with people. You will have situations where people are not cooperative, angry about having audit/adjustments, etc, etc. It's has its issues, but so does any job. I had clients in private practice never happy, but as an RA I do have control over the exam and make my own decisions. The administrative procedures will get overwhelming sometimes, and lots of pressure to maintain security, bureaucracy - but its government. I go into the field maybe 2-3 times per month for interview/tour of business, then rest of time I’m at home or once a week in office writing/closing cases.
Best of luck to all who get offers. Be aware the first few years are difficult – especially if you come in from the outside. Mainly learning the administrative stuff, getting all your access, passwords, and clearances. The training is away from home a lot, but once you are finished with your training – in my opinion –it’s an awesome job.

Very good synopsis! I didn’t know about the automatic 12’s. Good to know they opened that up a bit. It always seemed to create very contentious situations within groups. Are they still limited to the number of 13s they can have per group?

Is the working from home option only available after you reach 11 and are a year out of flow thru training? Or was that just group specific?
jaylakent  
#196 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2018 6:34:02 AM(UTC)
jaylakent

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I don't know about a "limit"on the number of 13's. I know they try to keep a certain number of 13's in each group, but I don't really worry about those things.

Regarding working at home. The rule is you must be either in the office (or field) 2 days per pay period. A pay period is two weeks. The rest of the time you can work from home. If I'm not in the field I work 4 days home and 1 day office per week. Sometimes I come in more if I have a lot of printing or need to drop something off. During training period, you can not work at home. I don't think it has to do with your grade,working at home is not based off of grade. You have to be fully trained. You manager will let you know when you are ready to telework - I think after our first year we were allowed in my office. I can't remember *LOL* But I do know it wasn't allowed until after we completed our initial year. There are three phases, 1040, corporate, and flow-thru. The 1040 was hard, I had to go out of state for 6 weeks, then back to POD for training; then back to out of state again for 8 weeks. Six months later back to corporate training for four weeks, then six months later flow-thru training for four weeks. So the training takes about 18-24 months depending on schedule and budget. We had a furlough during my first two years, so my flow-thru training was delayed 6 months.

So say someone is hired as an RA GS 5, completes their 18 months of training and is at a GS 7 (6 months away from their GS9) - they would be able to work flexiplace because they are complete with training.
thanks 2 users thanked jaylakent for this useful post.
N.E.R.D. on 12/15/2018(UTC), DRam2500 on 12/17/2018(UTC)
cmunozcpa  
#197 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2018 7:18:59 AM(UTC)
cmunozcpa

United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 20 post(s)

Grade/steps are automatic each year unless you don't meet "average" performance. If you come in as a 5/7/9/11 – then you should go to the next grade automatically each year until you max at 12. The first 4 steps are each year, then step 5, 6 and 7 every two years, 8,9,10 are every 3 years. We used to have to compete for 12’s, but now it’s automatic. After 5-10 years, depending on the POD you are in, you can compete for a GS 13. You can go into management, you can become a subject matter expert, compete for GS 14, go into tech services, appeals, or switch jobs into collections or taxpayer advocate. The sky is the limit depending on your lifestyle, goals, and motivation.

Bulls eye! This is exactly why I want to leave public. I know I don't want to make partner and work over 12 hr days 7 days a week. I wish I was overreacting. The money is not as important as the schedule and benefits. Also, the pay is actualy decent for my area. Wholeistically, an RA is the way to go. Especially, now that it goes to GS12 journeyman. I just found out they will be hiring 4 at the POD I applied for, so I may have a chance! Good luck to everyone in the process. 2019 is the year!
“As you think, so shall you become.” -Bruce Lee
scottyd27  
#198 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2018 5:04:27 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 132 post(s)
I wihdrew from consideration.
Krystal458  
#199 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2018 6:15:26 PM(UTC)
Krystal458

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post
I wihdrew from consideration.

Why? Did something happen?
DRam2500  
#200 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2018 6:28:58 PM(UTC)
DRam2500

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I don't know about a "limit"on the number of 13's. I know they try to keep a certain number of 13's in each group, but I don't really worry about those things.

Regarding working at home. The rule is you must be either in the office (or field) 2 days per pay period. A pay period is two weeks. The rest of the time you can work from home. If I'm not in the field I work 4 days home and 1 day office per week. Sometimes I come in more if I have a lot of printing or need to drop something off. During training period, you can not work at home. I don't think it has to do with your grade,working at home is not based off of grade. You have to be fully trained. You manager will let you know when you are ready to telework - I think after our first year we were allowed in my office. I can't remember *LOL* But I do know it wasn't allowed until after we completed our initial year. There are three phases, 1040, corporate, and flow-thru. The 1040 was hard, I had to go out of state for 6 weeks, then back to POD for training; then back to out of state again for 8 weeks. Six months later back to corporate training for four weeks, then six months later flow-thru training for four weeks. So the training takes about 18-24 months depending on schedule and budget. We had a furlough during my first two years, so my flow-thru training was delayed 6 months.

So say someone is hired as an RA GS 5, completes their 18 months of training and is at a GS 7 (6 months away from their GS9) - they would be able to work flexiplace because they are complete with training.

Are there any other training options for people with children who may not be able to be out of state for 4-8 weeks at a time?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed