Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KW19102  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2018 12:09:44 PM(UTC)
KW19102

Groups: Registered

I've been working at IRS for 3 years, and my leave request was rejected for 12/24/2018. I'm well past my probationary period, and accepted a perm conversion this past year. Are there any reprucussions for calling off on Monday the 24th? I have enough sick time available.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2018 7:31:48 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KW19102 Go to Quoted Post
I've been working at IRS for 3 years, and my leave request was rejected for 12/24/2018. I'm well past my probationary period, and accepted a perm conversion this past year. Are there any reprucussions for calling off on Monday the 24th? I have enough sick time available.

With the way things are going, it might not matter. Very, very few people were deemed "essential-excepted" in the event a shutdown kicks off at 12:01 AM Saturday morning. If you have Monday off due to a shutdown you won't have to burn any leave.

Wait a couple days and see what erupts. Your question may get mooted.
chriswt25  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2018 8:01:51 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)

There is not a damn thing they can do to you. It is not like we work in private business.

scottyd27  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 3:33:40 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 132 post(s)
And that is the attitude that irritates me about Govt Service. ‘Not a damn thing they can do’.

What about the person that had leave scheduled before you that will get called in?

No one thinks about anyone but themselves.
Hired 2015  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 3:58:56 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
You learn in the tax and accounting profession, regardless if you are in the private or public sector, to always request leave months in advance for the holidays. I have approved leave for the 24th so no matter how the winds go I'll be napping at home.
scottyd27  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 4:51:00 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post
You learn in the tax and accounting profession, regardless if you are in the private or public sector, to always request leave months in advance for the holidays. I have approved leave for the 24th so no matter how the winds go I'll be napping at home.

Same here. Shutdown or open spending the day with family. Requested leave on 01/01/2018.
oldindigo  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 7:11:20 AM(UTC)
oldindigo

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post
And that is the attitude that irritates me about Govt Service. ‘Not a damn thing they can do’.

What about the person that had leave scheduled before you that will get called in?

The person who has leave scheduled before me, is not going to get 'called in'. They. Have. Leave.

Seems like you were thinking about yourself too when you pre-scheduled your leave a year in advance, just like I did.
It's a smart thing to do, so don't go insulting others for doing the same thing.

Your attitude is irritating.
frankgonzalez  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 7:52:22 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 995 time(s) in 792 post(s)
let's see...what can they do.

Require a sick note from a medical provider to confirm you were actually sick. Yes, typically they only do so when it is 3 days or more, but you already requested annual leave...and it was denied. So, a reasonable suspicion exists that you are abusing sick leave. Failure to provide said letter can result in an AWOL charge for that day. And/or they could issue you a leave restriction letter.

Will they do the above? Depends on how strong or weak your ER/LR folks are and if the supervisor is willing to do the paperwork.

Don't know about the IRS, but the agencies I have been with have shut down at the half day mark on days like the 24th (also Thanksgiving Eve, NYE, and some other federal holidays). if you are on leave, you got charged the whole day though.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 2 users thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
Marie93 on 12/18/2018(UTC), spence on 12/21/2018(UTC)
scottyd27  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 7:56:09 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: oldindigo Go to Quoted Post

The person who has leave scheduled before me, is not going to get 'called in'. They. Have. Leave.

Seems like you were thinking about yourself too when you pre-scheduled your leave a year in advance, just like I did.
It's a smart thing to do, so don't go insulting others for doing the same thing.

Your attitude is irritating.

If mybleave wasn’t approved I’d be at work. Why? Because my leave wasn’t approved.

What are you some kind of special snowflake?

Proper planning prevents piss poor performance.

Edited by user Tuesday, December 18, 2018 6:09:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kayadash  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 11:14:59 AM(UTC)
kayadash

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
from how things are done it seems wisest to pre-plan the leave when possible for around the holidays
I'm also not sure why someone requested leave on 1/1. Isn't it a federal holiday?

Edited by user Tuesday, December 18, 2018 10:33:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scottyd27  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 11:43:27 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Someone would requesntleave 1/1 because no one pay attention to anything
chriswt25  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 1:17:54 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)

Never said it was a good thing about people calling in sick on a day they were denied annual leave. Just pointed out the way of how business is done in the Gov't. In fact when I worked in the "real world" if you called in sick on the business day prior to a holiday, you wouldn't get paid for the holiday. That sure prevented people from calling in sick.

As far as people that were granted annual leave, I never ran across people having annual days rescinded.

In my office, the people that had put in for 12/24 off during the time frame to pick the day off and were denied, were informed that they can now have the day off if they still want it as annual.

The days around Thanksgiving and The entire Christmas week were blacked out for selection in AM at our office until the 4th quarter planning period opened up.

Edited by user Tuesday, December 18, 2018 1:19:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scottyd27  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 6:07:08 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

I was more referring g to the snowflake that said my attitude was irritating.

My attitude was I had requested and received approval for my annual leave nearly a year in advance.

Mr snowflake stated that some how me being annoyed that I would have the 24th off and someone else being denied leave then calling off sick is somehow equivalent.

Personally I don’t care what other people do so long as it doesn’t affect me. But if I had to cover a officer of the day date because someone didn’t plan ahead when I did would be a problem.

While I’d cover it and cancel my leave. Be assured that the conversation about the selfishness that would occur would be uncomfortable for the other person.

Basically bad planning on their part should not be an emergency on mine.
Icehcky13  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 6:33:03 PM(UTC)
Icehcky13

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Looks like the whitehouse just announced we will not be working Monday! Enjoy your day off
LieutenantBlantyre  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 7:22:21 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 151 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Icehcky13 Go to Quoted Post
Looks like the whitehouse just announced we will not be working Monday! Enjoy your day off

As alluded to prior, this POTUS is like weather in Michigan. Just wait and he may well randomly change his mind. Frankly we were thinking at Cleveland that POTUS would be a hardass and not do it. I'm pleasantly surprised.
ashulein  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 7:38:40 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
LieutenantBlantyre on 12/18/2018(UTC)
No Place Like Home  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 8:27:57 PM(UTC)
No Place Like Home

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I was more referring g to the snowflake that said my attitude was irritating.

My attitude was I had requested and received approval for my annual leave nearly a year in advance.

Mr snowflake stated that some how me being annoyed that I would have the 24th off and someone else being denied leave then calling off sick is somehow equivalent.

Personally I don’t care what other people do so long as it doesn’t affect me. But if I had to cover a officer of the day date because someone didn’t plan ahead when I did would be a problem.

While I’d cover it and cancel my leave. Be assured that the conversation about the selfishness that would occur would be uncomfortable for the other person.

Basically bad planning on their part should not be an emergency on mine.

Not sure where you work but our call site has never called a person while they are on annual leave and asked them to come in. One way for you to avoid being called in is not answer your phone. Merry Christmas!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed