Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Career_seeker93  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 10:09:51 AM(UTC)
Career_seeker93

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi all it's been a while,

I'm hoping someone can provide me with some info. So there are people with the same EOD and same amount of furlough time who got there grade increase but I was told I had to wait another 4 weeks. (I transferred SCs). So I spoke to my previous managers and they said somewhere out there it is written that we get a 30 day credit for non pay status but it is extremely hard to find. I called HR to see if they knew anything about it and the person I spoke to said they never heard of it. If you have heard of it, can you please point me in the right direction on where to find the information? I found something on OPM.gov but they aren't willing to accept it. Thank you!
TheRealOrange  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 10:53:56 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 105 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Career_seeker93 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all it's been a while,

I'm hoping someone can provide me with some info. So there are people with the same EOD and same amount of furlough time who got there grade increase but I was told I had to wait another 4 weeks. (I transferred SCs). So I spoke to my previous managers and they said somewhere out there it is written that we get a 30 day credit for non pay status but it is extremely hard to find. I called HR to see if they knew anything about it and the person I spoke to said they never heard of it. If you have heard of it, can you please point me in the right direction on where to find the information? I found something on OPM.gov but they aren't willing to accept it. Thank you!

There is a 30-day credit rule for acquiring career tenure, but it appears that the question is whether the 30-day rule applies to a promotion ("grade increase"). Is this really a grade increase (promotion) issue, or is it a within-grade increase issue? If it relates to a within-grade increase, it will depend on which step is involved. If it really involves a promotion, then I'm not sure that a 30-day rule applies. It is my understanding that all non-pay status time is creditable service for the purpose of time-in-grade requirements. That would simply mean that you would qualify when applying for a promotion to the next higher grade in a competitive announcement, not guarantee the promotion. As for career ladder promotions, it seems to me that the same thing would be true, and an employee is never guaranteed a promotion in a career ladder. Have you spoken to your current manager about why the additional four weeks is being required when others received their grade increases? If it's for time while furloughed (i.e., time not working), I can see how that might be treated differently than time spent working but in a non-pay status (LWOP).
thanks 1 user thanked TheRealOrange for this useful post.
spence on 12/21/2018(UTC)
Career_seeker93  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 11:45:13 AM(UTC)
Career_seeker93

United States

I asked my manager why and all he said was "they do a calculator to know when grade increases are due." He's only been a manager since October so he says he goes by what others tell him. My issue is with the time in grade to receive the grade 7 promotion. Unfortunately, it seems I should have waited to transfer service centers as no one here seems to know anything about it.

Edited by user Tuesday, December 18, 2018 9:52:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Typos

LieutenantBlantyre  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 7:27:49 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 172 time(s) in 145 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Career_seeker93 Go to Quoted Post
I asked my manager why and all he said was "they do a calculator to know when grade inceeases are due." He's only been a manager since October so he says he goes by what others tell him. My issue is with the time in grade to receive the grade 7 promotion. Unfortunately, it seems I should have waited to transferred service centers as no one here seems to know anything about it.

You moved and your files may be scattered in different places.

You're able to download the same Excel spreadsheet, download your SETR attendance record, and work it out yourself too.

The manager has to issue the Personnel Action Request. They need to issue the request to have you bumped up. Sometimes that can get screwed up if the calculator isn't run correctly. When I moved to GS-7 I had some nice retroactive pay because some calculations were done incorrectly and it took time for corrections to be made.

Go find your timekeeper and/or your DM's clerk. They can help you get things back on track.
Career_seeker93  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 9:51:12 PM(UTC)
Career_seeker93

United States

Thank you LieutenantBlantyre,

I found it written in the IRM listed on spreadsheet. I have brought it to my manager's attention and we'll see what happens.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed