Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Swiper  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2018 4:54:10 PM(UTC)
Swiper

Groups: Registered

Just to make sure, this is NOT about a Performance Improvement Plan (PIP).

My agency is restructuring all job positions. We have been given our annual Performance Work Plan with all the critical elements that need to be met. The problem is the critical elements listed in my Performance Work Plan do no longer reflect my actual duties. I am doing A, B, and C as my full time duties and I don't expect that to change any time soon, but the critical elements says that I need to be successful at doing C, D, and E. I spend 75% of my time doing A and B, 25% of the time doing C, and I never do D and E. I do not feel comfortable signing the Performance Work Plan with the described job duties being so different from my actual duties.

Should I sign it, regardless? I do not really want to sign something I don't feel is accurate. What would happen if I don't sign?

FrankJr  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2018 3:22:26 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 106 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Swiper Go to Quoted Post
Just to make sure, this is NOT about a Performance Improvement Plan (PIP).

My agency is restructuring all job positions. We have been given our annual Performance Work Plan with all the critical elements that need to be met. The problem is the critical elements listed in my Performance Work Plan do no longer reflect my actual duties. I am doing A, B, and C as my full time duties and I don't expect that to change any time soon, but the critical elements says that I need to be successful at doing C, D, and E. I spend 75% of my time doing A and B, 25% of the time doing C, and I never do D and E. I do not feel comfortable signing the Performance Work Plan with the described job duties being so different from my actual duties.

Should I sign it, regardless? I do not really want to sign something I don't feel is accurate. What would happen if I don't sign?

I sign the forms but I don't read the forms in advance. No issue with incorrect information in the forms as I don't read the forms. The first annual review included a number of projects neither I nor the supervisor could identify and I concluded the annuals reviews were pointless.
FedCivServ  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2018 6:01:46 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 138 post(s)
So that didn't answer the OP's question... i would sit down and have a talk with your supervisor. That's their job. Ask him/her: "Does this mean my duties will be changed to C, D and E instead of A, B and C?" If he/she says "No, you will still do A, B and C and not D and E" then i would ask why the performance plan is being changed. You can frame it that you just want to make sure you are meeting the org's expectations. It doesn't have to come across as negative at all. I too would be concerned about a PP that didn't describe what i do. But i would not refuse to sign it; just makes you look difficult. HAVE THE DISCUSSION... and then do an MFR of the discussion afterward so if there is any misunderstanding later, you have it documented.
FAct_88  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2018 9:23:30 AM(UTC)
FAct_88

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
The key information from the OP seems to be "My agency is restructuring all job positions". And they are implementing that by changing the OP's performance work plan. In general, well within their rights and not nefarious at all...except one would expect they (meaning management) would have discussed this with you beforehand. But clearly it is now incumbent on you (as said above) to talk to your supervisor about it.
Swiper  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2018 1:52:06 PM(UTC)
Swiper

It's definitely part of the restructuring. They had a big gap (no GS-9/10/11/12) in the career ladder which made it very hard for employees to progress to GS-13/14/15 while staying with the agency. They are trying to fix that by creating a GS-9/11/12 position directly above the present GS-5/6/7/8 position.

The GS-5/6/7/8 position used to do A, B, and C, while contractors were doing C, D and E. In the new structure the GS-9/11/12 will be doing A, B, and C while GS-5/6/7/8 is doing C, D, and E. The contractor positions will mostly go away in the new structure. The idea was to move most of the current GS-7s and GS-8s to the new GS-9/11/12 position by having them apply for the new position through USAJobs. Hence the new GS-9/11/12 position would be filled by current federal employees being promoted internally and the GS-5/6/7/8 positions would get refilled by old contractors and completely new hires.

The problem is that my application got rejected by OPM, so I never ended up on the list of potential candidates that hiring authority can select from. The office manager wants me to be in the GS-9/11/12 position, but because I didn't make the list she can't pick me.

I don't see them wanting me to do C, D, and E in the future instead of A, B, and C. I'm one of their best at doing A, B, and C, and having me doing C, D and E wouldn't be in the agency's best interest. I get ***** done and it would be a waste to put me elsewhere.

I also would probably consider other career options if I get stuck doing C, D, and E. It's effectively a demotion and I will not put up with that. I'm already overqualified and underpaid, but I have been okay with it because I really enjoy doing A, B, and C. I would not be okay doing C, D, and E.
someoldguy  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2018 3:49:08 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 906 time(s) in 759 post(s)
It's definitely part of the restructuring...
Now I'm really confused. I'm not saying your writing isn't clear, what confuses me is this whole setup.

Aren't there supposed to be job descriptions that exist independently of the performance objectives?

Let's say they try to hire some new people... can they expect them to do C, D, E if that isn't part of the description that gets included in the vacancy announcement?

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Endless Summer  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2018 4:17:32 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 188 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
It's definitely part of the restructuring...
Now I'm really confused. I'm not saying your writing isn't clear, what confuses me is this whole setup.

Aren't there supposed to be job descriptions that exist independently of the performance objectives?

Yeah, it might be a terminology thing but I've always been asked to write my performance plan based on my PD. If your PD changes you have remedies. My current Performance Plan is completely driven by my PD.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed