Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

39 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LieutenantBlantyre  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2018 5:48:11 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 151 post(s)
The House and Senate have both adjourned without passing appropriations.

Technically shutdown begins at 12:01 AM Eastern on Saturday.

Both chambers intend to reconvene Saturday to try to fix this.

And apparently our pay raise is going to be 0.00% now...
RodoHinote  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2018 9:05:09 PM(UTC)
RodoHinote

Man
United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
And now.........we wait. *crickets*
"Never judge someone's character based on the words of another. Focus on the one casting judgment." - Suzy Kassel
LieutenantBlantyre  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2018 9:18:28 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: RodoHinote Go to Quoted Post

I've got church activities to occupy me this weekend and some final Christmas shopping to do. I just watched the movie "Frankie Go Boom" on DVD. It is a wee bit bizarre. There are plenty of bargain bin weird DVD films I've picked up from Dollar General for the past few months that I haven't gotten to yet that I have time to watch now.
spence  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2018 10:59:37 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
This is all making me want to leave the federal government. Three shutdowns in a year, with this one potentially being much longer, no resolution in sight.
chriswt25  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 7:47:25 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post

This really looks more likely to be weeks rather than days, but you never know with these people.

Only bright spot is I was scheduled for annual leave this coming week, so in the end will have some extra time saved up.

IF they somehow settle this by Friday, we hopefully will not have any interruption in pay.
RodoHinote  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 7:59:55 AM(UTC)
RodoHinote

Man
United States

I've got church activities to occupy me this weekend and some final Christmas shopping to do. I just watched the movie "Frankie Go Boom" on DVD. It is a wee bit bizarre. There are plenty of bargain bin weird DVD films I've picked up from Dollar General for the past few months that I haven't gotten to yet that I have time to watch now.

I guess I to have other things to worry about than sitting back and mope on what I can't change. I have to finish wrapping gifts, and finalizing my holiday visits. Hopefully things blow over soon, and we can get back to work.
"Never judge someone's character based on the words of another. Focus on the one casting judgment." - Suzy Kassel
RodoHinote  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 8:05:56 AM(UTC)
RodoHinote

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: spence Go to Quoted Post
This is all making me want to leave the federal government. Three shutdowns in a year, with this one potentially being much longer, no resolution in sight.

I feel the same way, and I've only just started this year. All I can ask is that they learn to "ADULT", and figure this thing out soon. It's like they are acting like a bunch of children that are having a tantrum for not getting what they want, when THEY want it. Stop bickering; Put your heads together, and figure this thing out!
RodoHinote  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 8:09:13 AM(UTC)
RodoHinote

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post

This really looks more likely to be weeks rather than days, but you never know with these people.

Only bright spot is I was scheduled for annual leave this coming week, so in the end will have some extra time saved up.

IF they somehow settle this by Friday, we hopefully will not have any interruption in pay.

I hope that it's as quick as your hoping, but a few of my co-workers say the 3rd at minimum.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 11:14:59 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post

There was a reason SETR had to be closed out hard on Friday. NFC will get the data load and they will push the payroll for the pay period we just ended today. That's an excepted activity and must be done. Christmas may delay processing but that is normal.

Any changes to time-sheets will have to be Time & Attendance Correction actions on later payrolls.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 11:46:48 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

I feel the same way, and I've only just started this year. All I can ask is that they learn to "ADULT", and figure this thing out soon. It's like they are acting like a bunch of children that are having a tantrum for not getting what they want, when THEY want it. Stop bickering; Put your heads together, and figure this thing out!

The Senate has been in a form of intra-day recess as has the House since shortly after 12 noon. All the respective party leaders are having problems keeping their respective caucus members on site. I'm pretty doubtful that this gets fixed today.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 12:16:00 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Cocaine Mitch was just on the floor on C-SPAN 2. They are giving up for the day in the Senate. They'll have a "pro forma" session on the 24th and resume regular business only on the 27th. Adjourned at 1517 Eastern.

No "technical shutdown" now. We might be back in at some point on Thursday the 27th or to start the day on Friday the 28th assuming something gets passed. We'll need to check the Emergency Hotline about reporting Wednesday as there may be instructions to come in to receive formal determination letters and hand over "accountable items" like travel cards as well as secure our desks. No guarantee of that since we do have our "Clean Desk Policy" anyhow but do check.

Merry Christmas?

Edited by user Saturday, December 22, 2018 12:25:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: DYAC

Endless Summer  
#12 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 12:46:49 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 188 time(s) in 161 post(s)

Yeah, random time off paid in full... Those *******s!! Move over to the civilian sector, you'll never have to suffer like this again.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#13 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 12:51:08 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post

Yeah, random time off paid in full... Those *******s!! Move over to the civilian sector, you'll never have to suffer like this again.

Only when it is over, though. That could be quite a while. Hopefully my savings account survives...and it doesn't have much in there now.
thanks 1 user thanked LieutenantBlantyre for this useful post.
spence on 12/22/2018(UTC)
Icehcky13  
#14 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 12:58:59 PM(UTC)
Icehcky13

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Are they able to call in a decade csrs essential ??
Icehcky13  
#15 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 1:00:17 PM(UTC)
Icehcky13

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
call and declare csrs essential?**
AlwaysWaiting  
#16 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 1:24:03 PM(UTC)
AlwaysWaiting

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Yes CSRs can be called in. Received a text from my manager today stating that if the shutdown continues after Jan 6th I will have to report to work.
Hired 2015  
#17 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 1:49:17 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Do we apply for unemployment? Some at my call site said they would have to apply for unemployment if this drags on past the 26th?
spence  
#18 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 2:43:49 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post

I'm glad you think the shutdown is no big deal. Meanwhile services to the American people are suffering, and so are employees living paycheck to paycheck.

There's already a backlog of inventory to March received dates where I'm working. Now addressing those cases that taxpayers have been waiting on is being delayed even further and more work will pile up while we're gone. Federal government and IRS specifically are expected to deliver without the resources (and we still get the vast majority of refunds out accurately and quickly despite this, but few ever bother to notice that) while staying the whipping boy of President, Congress, and taxpayers.

Edited by user Saturday, December 22, 2018 2:55:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Lynn47 on 1/22/2019(UTC)
spence  
#19 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 2:49:12 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post
Do we apply for unemployment? Some at my call site said they would have to apply for unemployment if this drags on past the 26th?

I don't think it's a good idea to apply for unemployment if you have any savings you can dip into, because then you just have to pay it back if/when we get back pay and that's a hassle.

Also to qualify for unemployment, you usually have to do a job search in most states, so what happens when you get a job offer but you haven't resigned from the federal government?

Hopefully the shutdown won't go long enough for this to be an issue.

Edited by user Saturday, December 22, 2018 2:50:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LieutenantBlantyre  
#20 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 4:01:29 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post

Generally, if we get retroactive pay you’ll need to pay the unemployment compensation back. There is a three week waiting period in Ohio and the longest ever shutdown was three weeks back in 1995. In my case I’m going to have to ride it out.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed