Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

39 Pages«<45678>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LieutenantBlantyre  
#101 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 9:15:02 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: No Place Like Home Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: PrimaDawna Go to Quoted Post
Just got the call to report Mon Jan 7

Where do you work and what do you do? Are we coming back because it's "tax season"? So we are now going to work and not get paid like last year and hope for retro pay?

The funny part is that if you applied for unemployment, you have to shut that off if you get recalled even without pay. If you refuse recall, consequences are outlined in the OPM guidance plus your state would possibly shut your unemployment off for refusing work. It is a 3 week waiting period in Ohio so nobody here has likely seen a penny yet.
nonewsnotgood  
#102 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 9:44:38 AM(UTC)
nonewsnotgood

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post

Where do you work and what do you do? Are we coming back because it's "tax season"? So we are now going to work and not get paid like last year and hope for retro pay?

The funny part is that if you applied for unemployment, you have to shut that off if you get recalled even without pay. If you refuse recall, consequences are outlined in the OPM guidance plus your state would possibly shut your unemployment off for refusing work. It is a 3 week waiting period in Ohio so nobody here has likely seen a penny yet.

No call yet for Pittsburgh PA, I'm in AM.
chriswt25  
#103 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 9:46:59 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 54 post(s)

Which is why I was saying people have to be careful about rushing down to open a claim. I know during the 2013 shutdown, some of the perms in my office applied for unemployment and then had to deal with a nightmare when they got their back pay and an unemployment payment. Paying it back was not the easiest thing in the world, and then a few wiseguys decided to keep the money and got fired. Others wound up getting a 1099 in Jan 2014 for the UI they received AND paid back.

PrimaDawna  
#104 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 9:57:19 AM(UTC)
PrimaDawna

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 33 post(s)
I am ACS call site
No Place Like Home  
#105 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 10:27:21 AM(UTC)
No Place Like Home

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I am ACS call site

Are you perm or seasonal? Which call site?
PrimaDawna  
#106 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 10:33:26 AM(UTC)
PrimaDawna

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Perm Ogden
LieutenantBlantyre  
#107 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 10:34:02 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Speaker Pelosi just left a meeting with POTUS. She said he’s saying months to years in their view. Game of telephone as Cocaine Mitch has a different meeting report.

Staff are to negotiate through the weekend.

Ali Velshi needs to chill.

Edited by user Friday, January 4, 2019 10:35:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

No Place Like Home  
#108 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 10:35:58 AM(UTC)
No Place Like Home

Woman
United States

The funny thing is I didn't say anything about unemployment- you must have responded to the wrong post. I am very aware of not filing for unemployment and then having to visit with TIGTA and lose my job.

kitkatma  
#109 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 10:47:21 AM(UTC)
kitkatma

United States

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Speaker Pelosi just left a meeting with POTUS. She said he’s saying months to years in their view. Game of telephone as Cocaine Mitch has a different meeting report.

Waiting on POTUS to speak. Starting to see Facebbok post about how the IRS can't issue refunds during a shutdown. Wonder how much of a delay to the start of this year's filing season we will have.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#110 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 11:08:42 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: kitkatma Go to Quoted Post

Waiting on POTUS to speak. Starting to see Facebbok post about how the IRS can't issue refunds during a shutdown. Wonder how much of a delay to the start of this year's filing season we will have.

Family kept asking why I got so upset over the two kids that died at the border recently. The kids got treated as chattels by the parents to bargain for entry. I may sound cold and heartless at work but you don’t do that to kids. They deserved life. Humanitarian intervention in those nations is the least we could do.

I don’t even care about a wall. Treating kids properly is very, very important. There aren’t enough charities that I can donate to via CFC to render aid currently.

Edited by user Friday, January 4, 2019 11:10:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

No Place Like Home  
#111 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 11:51:34 AM(UTC)
No Place Like Home

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: NATE04 Go to Quoted Post

The funny thing is I didn't say anything about unemployment- you must have responded to the wrong post. I am very aware of not filing for unemployment and then having to visit with TIGTA and lose my job.

Im filing for unemployment -worry about a visit from TIGTA and lose my job?? Least of my worries right now with all this bills and a family to support.

The people applied and got unemployment but didn't report it - then got back pay and didn't pay back the unemployment they did receive. They then got to go talk to TIGTA which then lead to their termination. Was it really worth it to them at that point- who knows?
Since you haven't technically missed a paycheck yet I would wait & see if you get a call back notification today as others seem to be getting. If you think you can pay back the unemployment when we get the back pay then that is only a decision you can make. I fortunately can survive and plan for these things as I am seasonal to begin with.
Daniel25  
#112 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 12:27:28 PM(UTC)
Daniel25

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Does anyone know what will happen to those of us in tax law training (APP 231) at the Cleveland callsite? If we are getting called back, are those of us who have been in training be allowed to finish or will we be on the phones until the government reopens?

Edited by user Friday, January 4, 2019 12:31:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

John Crichton  
#113 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 12:31:40 PM(UTC)
John Crichton

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I work out of Des Moines call site for ACS Collections - 2nd shift.

As far as IDRS being up - awesome! A lot of our new staff had not been trained on green screen yet and that would've been baptism by fire, lol.
nonewsnotgood  
#114 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 12:56:20 PM(UTC)
nonewsnotgood

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Daniel25 Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know what will happen to those of us in tax law training (APP 231) at the Cleveland callsite? If we are getting called back, are those of us who have been in training be allowed to finish or will we be on the phones until the government reopens?

Well I'm Pittsburgh, PA with AM. I too was in APP 231 training. We only did a week then poof...SHUTDOWN.

They never called me yet. I heard through the grapevine they may want us Monday.

If you were in APP 231 training and they don't have CR signed and ARE called back as ESSENTIAL then you couldn't go back into training. All training would still be suspended in this instance per OPM guidelines.

The IRS is just to stressful a place to work anymore.

Edited by user Friday, January 4, 2019 12:58:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked nonewsnotgood for this useful post.
Daniel25 on 1/4/2019(UTC)
Daniel25  
#115 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 1:14:04 PM(UTC)
Daniel25

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nonewsnotgood Go to Quoted Post

Well I'm Pittsburgh, PA with AM. I too was in APP 231 training. We only did a week then poof...SHUTDOWN.

They never called me yet. I heard through the grapevine they may want us Monday.

If you were in APP 231 training and they don't have CR signed and ARE called back as ESSENTIAL then you couldn't go back into training. All training would still be suspended in this instance per OPM guidelines.

The IRS is just to stressful a place to work anymore.

That's unfortunate to hear. Working for the IRS as a CSR and possibly without pay is beyond ridiculous. I think this job is possibly among the most stressful jobs out there today. We have to put up with so much and now with the shutdown we are probably going to have a more than the usual amount of upset and angry taxpayers calling us. I wish I could find another job. Maybe some day I will escape from this job.

LieutenantBlantyre  
#116 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 2:21:40 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Training cannot resume until there are valid appropriations. If & when we got the order we'd all be sitting on 20 most likely. No new plan has been posted yet.

Ask your specific manager for the best guidance.
Hired 2015  
#117 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 3:11:30 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 30 post(s)
I didn't get a call. Our call site was completely shutdown so there are no managers working to call. I'm just a seasonal CSR AM that like many was in skill up tax law training.

I applied for unemployment that I need to submit paperwork that I haven't gathered by Monday to be approved. I applied for unemployment as a backup plan just in case seasonals don't get back pay. Does anyone know for sure seasonals would get backpay?

In my state unemployment has to review submitted paperwork that will take 2 weeks. Any money they would pay goes on a prepaid like card that I intended to leave on the card until I know for sure if I am getting back pay. If I get recalled and get back pay I just call unemployment and they will take the money back from the card. I reported I am a furlough federal worker and my state unemployment said as long I can't say for certain when my return to service date is or for certain I will be paid back pay I am eligible to apply for unemployment in my state.

I volunteer regularly at a local food pantry. In the line today there were coworkers from my call site and other federal agency employees in need. People had to use their last check to pay rent, utilities, medical bills, car notes, credit card, student loans, etc. One person said they walked a good 3 miles to the pantry because they can't waste gas not knowing if they will be recalled, will get back pay or get unemployment.

Don't just scare people with some investigation for applying for unemployment. Instead give them the correct facts and tell them to reach out to community services. My unemployment office is referring furloughed federal workers to community resources.

The private sector teaches you to be ahead of the game, be prepared and arrive 5 minutes early or you'll be 15 minutes late.

Edited by user Friday, January 4, 2019 3:14:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

dmellow  
#118 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 3:22:56 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I'm sure they are thinking long and hard on whether to call back AM CSR's. A lot of people in 231 training have not been certified in the new tax law and many others who have not even started training. Many app 20 people still need to be certified in 231 and will end up screening a lot of these tax law calls. They may stagger which people they bring back in. I would think ACS or tax return processing wouldn't be dealing with new tax law issues. I haven't been called back and I would prefer not to go in if we are not getting paid. There are costs for gas, parking and lunch that will be incurred. I'm not worried so much about angry taxpayers as about angry co-workers!
kitkatma  
#119 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 3:43:17 PM(UTC)
kitkatma

United States

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 57 post(s)
The union sent out an email stating that AM CSR'S , SP remittance, ACS employees are to start reporting for work on Monday.

It also says that they will "receive training, specifically on the new tax law changes, before resuming work if they have not already received training."

I still haven't received a call or text to report on Monday.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#120 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 3:53:55 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: kitkatma Go to Quoted Post
The union sent out an email stating that AM CSR'S , SP remittance, ACS employees are to start reporting for work on Monday.

It also says that they will "receive training, specifically on the new tax law changes, before resuming work if they have not already received training."

I still haven't received a call or text to report on Monday.

My own manager said no status change earlier today. The e-mail from NTEU national that I just got includes this nasty bit:

Quote:
Although the IRS is awaiting approval for the change from the Treasury Department, the agency has begun implementing the 2019 Filing Season Contingency and Shutdown Plan.

Nothing has come down through CAMC OP 4 D 1 yet so I’ll keep waiting. I’ll be laughing if SecTreas pulls the plug on this.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed