Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

39 Pages«<56789>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PrimaDawna  
#121 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 3:54:09 PM(UTC)
PrimaDawna

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Manager just called again and said NOT to report to work...we were not approved as essential... ACS
thanks 1 user thanked PrimaDawna for this useful post.
LieutenantBlantyre on 1/4/2019(UTC)
Daniel25  
#122 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 3:55:35 PM(UTC)
Daniel25

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm at the Cleveland call site AM and have not received any call to come back yet. I'm also in touch with another employee who has yet to receive any call as well. The email from the union states AM employees in general will be called back. I wonder if some CSR's at certain call sites many not be called back.
Red  
#123 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 3:59:00 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
I called my Senator's office and asked her to support Federal employees- don't be obstinate. If Border Patrol Agents say we need more barriers on the border, they know what is needed, support them. Quit playing politics. Her office guy said he will pass along the message. We need to put pressure on these people. Call them!
chriswt25  
#124 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 4:08:47 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post
I didn't get a call. Our call site was completely shutdown so there are no managers working to call. I'm just a seasonal CSR AM that like many was in skill up tax law training.

I applied for unemployment that I need to submit paperwork that I haven't gathered by Monday to be approved. I applied for unemployment as a backup plan just in case seasonals don't get back pay. Does anyone know for sure seasonals would get backpay?

In my state unemployment has to review submitted paperwork that will take 2 weeks. Any money they would pay goes on a prepaid like card that I intended to leave on the card until I know for sure if I am getting back pay. If I get recalled and get back pay I just call unemployment and they will take the money back from the card. I reported I am a furlough federal worker and my state unemployment said as long I can't say for certain when my return to service date is or for certain I will be paid back pay I am eligible to apply for unemployment in my state.

I volunteer regularly at a local food pantry. In the line today there were coworkers from my call site and other federal agency employees in need. People had to use their last check to pay rent, utilities, medical bills, car notes, credit card, student loans, etc. One person said they walked a good 3 miles to the pantry because they can't waste gas not knowing if they will be recalled, will get back pay or get unemployment.

Don't just scare people with some investigation for applying for unemployment. Instead give them the correct facts and tell them to reach out to community services. My unemployment office is referring furloughed federal workers to community resources.

The private sector teaches you to be ahead of the game, be prepared and arrive 5 minutes early or you'll be 15 minutes late.

Nobody is trying to scare or discourage people into not applying for unemployment, What was pointed out are facts from what certain people encountered in 2013. Where you an employee then?

Not every state offers a prepaid card for benefits. Some either send you a check or direct deposit your entitlement to a bank account, so these people would have to pay the money back.

As far as seasonal's getting back paid, we will IF Congress puts through a bill and the President signs it. In 2013 seasonal's in AM did not get paid because they made sure they furloughed us on 9/29/2013 and the shutdown started 10/1/2013. In that case the seasonal's did get unemployment. The perms were the ones that had issues (the ones that took unemployment instead of waiting to come back and get back pay.) As someone else also stated, there were instances where people did not do what they were supposed to and suffered consequences.

What it comes down to is if you desperately need the money, then get the unemployment. If not, then you MAY be better off to wait.

I have been to this rodeo too any times with these shutdowns. As difficult as it is, I make sure that I put some money on the side because this can and will happen again and again because of the clowns that have us at their mercy.

Edited by user Friday, January 4, 2019 4:10:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked chriswt25 for this useful post.
valleygirl on 1/4/2019(UTC)
kayadash  
#125 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 4:09:32 PM(UTC)
kayadash

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Red Go to Quoted Post
I called my Senator's office and asked her to support Federal employees- don't be obstinate. If Border Patrol Agents say we need more barriers on the border, they know what is needed, support them. Quit playing politics. Her office guy said he will pass along the message. We need to put pressure on these people. Call them!

No offense intended, but we don't need partisanship in this thread.

Also to anyone referring to callbacks.. please state *position* as well as service center.

Edited by user Friday, January 4, 2019 4:17:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked kayadash for this useful post.
spence on 1/4/2019(UTC)
Aboard_Serenity  
#126 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 4:10:13 PM(UTC)
Aboard_Serenity

United States

Originally Posted by: PrimaDawna Go to Quoted Post
Manager just called again and said NOT to report to work...we were not approved as essential... ACS

My manager also said NOT to come in as well here at Fresno AM.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#127 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 4:15:36 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PrimaDawna Go to Quoted Post

If I could, I’d buy you a bottle of Coca-Cola in appreciation.
thanks 2 users thanked LieutenantBlantyre for this useful post.
valleygirl on 1/4/2019(UTC), PrimaDawna on 1/4/2019(UTC)
IslesBSC  
#128 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 4:34:02 PM(UTC)
IslesBSC

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This is from my manager ....They are calling people back, I know that most of ACS was called back for Monday. And some AM people. But if you don't get an actual phone call, you are still furloughed. From what I know, no one on our team got a call, including me. But I guess there could be calls over the weekend, I don't know for sure. If you do get a call, let me know. From what I hear, they are calling back the people with the newest EOD first.

I'm a CSR W&I AM Brookhaven seasonal EOD October 2016
IndieQueen  
#129 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 4:36:33 PM(UTC)
IndieQueen

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
My husband and I haven't gotten a call and neither has my sister. We're all Memphis AM night shift. I'm a lead and I've been training new hires and wasn't even realigned to a team before the shut down. I have no idea who would call me or what I would be expected to do given I've been training new hires since October and don't even have system access right now. I do know some people at the Franklin call site have gotten a call and most of Memphis MITS has been excepted this whole time.
John Crichton  
#130 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 4:47:59 PM(UTC)
John Crichton

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I'll try this again as my message didn't seem to post the first time....

I received another manager text moments ago stating "change of plans. do NOT report on Monday." Guessing seems kind of silly at this point but if I were to guess then maybe only major campus locations are being approved (Des Moines ACS is just call center). ???
thanks 2 users thanked John Crichton for this useful post.
PrimaDawna on 1/4/2019(UTC), LieutenantBlantyre on 1/4/2019(UTC)
kitkatma  
#131 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 4:58:57 PM(UTC)
kitkatma

United States

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 57 post(s)
I'm a CSR in AM at the Kansas City Campus. But I am also on a detail as a lead for a new hire (FY18) TE's. Not sure which manager I should be avoiding, but I haven't been notified to report.
valleygirl  
#132 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 4:59:54 PM(UTC)
valleygirl

United States

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I'm Fresno AM, CSR, permanent. I was called yesterday to report to work as essential on Monday 1/7/19. Then I was called today and told not to report to work on Monday and to stay away until further notice.

As a side note, if you call the IRS 800 numbers, you get a message saying that the IRS isn't providing live support at this time. So there's that.

Edited by user Friday, January 4, 2019 5:02:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked valleygirl for this useful post.
LieutenantBlantyre on 1/4/2019(UTC), John Crichton on 1/4/2019(UTC), PrimaDawna on 1/4/2019(UTC)
Hired 2015  
#133 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 5:04:00 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 30 post(s)
In 2013 I was not working for the IRS. EOD is October 2015

Before the shutdown the word at our call site was seasonals may not get back pay. Seasonals were told by experienced perms to apply for unemployment. Its been on the news that other federal furloughed workers are applying for unemployment.

Our call site never got called in for the time to shutdown. All we were told was to watch the news and call emergency hotline for more information.
Daniel25  
#134 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 5:16:16 PM(UTC)
Daniel25

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post
In 2013 I was not working for the IRS. EOD is October 2015

Before the shutdown the word at our call site was seasonals may not get back pay. Seasonals were told by experienced perms to apply for unemployment. Its been on the news that other federal furloughed workers are applying for unemployment.

Our call site never got called in for the time to shutdown. All we were told was to watch the news and call emergency hotline for more information.

As far as I know, seasonals should still get back pay unless they accepted early furlough instead of signing an extension on their contract. I know some people at my call site chose this which means they would not be eligible for unemployment anyway because there was not a lack of work. It would be extremely detrimental for seasonals who were working before the shutdown to not be given back pay.
caligurl0222  
#135 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 5:41:04 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Got an email from NTEU saying IRS will call back AMS and submission processing as essential employees for filing season. I am in W&I also, but nothing mentioned about Field Assistance TAC employees. The email said they are still awaiting approval from the Treasury Dept. The email was sent around 3 p.m.
I believe in Laws of Attraction and I attract good things!
spence  
#136 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 5:51:15 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 39 post(s)
The Submission Processing people mentioned in the NTEU email are only those opening mail and processing remittances at this time, which is not going to be everybody, mostly just Receipt and Control. Some in Receipt and Control were probably never furloughed at all since mail was still coming in.

Edited by user Friday, January 4, 2019 6:00:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

valleygirl  
#137 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 5:52:19 PM(UTC)
valleygirl

United States

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: caligurl0222 Go to Quoted Post
Got an email from NTEU saying IRS will call back AMS and submission processing as essential employees for filing season. I am in W&I also, but nothing mentioned about Field Assistance TAC employees. The email said they are still awaiting approval from the Treasury Dept. The email was sent around 3 p.m.

That email came out an hour after my second call I received telling me to ignore my call to return to work. I believe it was old news by the time it posted.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#138 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 5:55:27 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: caligurl0222 Go to Quoted Post

From the e-mail:

Quote:
The IRS is not currently planning to open any Taxpayer Assistance Centers.

nonewsnotgood  
#139 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 6:02:11 PM(UTC)
nonewsnotgood

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Red Go to Quoted Post

Fences I don't mind. But you can't stick a fence over the entire border. The Rio Grande is a river so are we going to do stick in the middle? Should we but in on the US side of the river and essentially cede land to Mexico?

And over mountains? Can you see a wall going up on tops of mountains?

I was watching the movie Patton and Patton once said "fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of man"

Sure a fence in places are fine. From California to the Gulf of Mexico is ludicrious.
thanks 1 user thanked nonewsnotgood for this useful post.
spence on 1/4/2019(UTC)
dmellow  
#140 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 6:03:00 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I saw an article in the Wall Street Journal that talks about the Treasury's plan to try to get us going again.

Tax-Season Plan for Shutdown Coming Soon, Treasury Says

Administration hasn’t yet said when tax-filing season will start or whether it will change guidance on refunds

IRS funding expired Dec. 21, caught in a dispute between President Trump and lawmakers over a wall on the
U.S.-Mexico border. Photo: jonathan ernst/Reuters

By Richard Rubin

Jan. 4, 2019 6:28 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON—The Treasury Department said Friday the government will update its plan for income-tax filing during a government shutdown “in the coming days,” but didn’t specify when the Internal Revenue Service would begin accepting 2018 tax returns or whether it was seeking a legal way to issue tax refunds.

IRS funding expired Dec. 21, caught in a dispute between President Trump and lawmakers over a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border. Since then, seven in eight IRS employees have been furloughed and routine audits have stopped. The remaining workers include those who run critical computer systems and conduct criminal investigations.

Under the IRS’s plan through Dec. 31 and a similar one prepared for last year’s filing season, the tax agency lists “issuing refunds” among the activities it doesn’t do during a shutdown. That plan remains in effect.

Reversing that decision would likely require a legal determination that tax refunds are exempt from the shutdown. The IRS pays refunds under a permanent appropriation that doesn’t have to be renewed annually, but there are other recurring costs associated with those payments. The government could argue, as it does already for IRS workers who support Social Security, that those costs are implied by the permanent funding for refunds and can continue despite the shutdown.

If a shutdown drags into mid-February and that refund policy isn’t changed, the consequences would start piling up for households and for the broader economy. By Feb. 16 last year, the IRS had paid $101.2 billion to nearly 32 million households.

A shutdown that long would be unprecedented, but President Trump said Friday that he is willing to hold out for more than a year. He also said he hoped lawmakers could resolve their impasse soon.

“The IRS will finalize and release its filing season lapse plan in the coming days,” the Treasury Department said in its statement late Friday.
The filing season is expected to open by the end of the January, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Many people who get those early refunds are low-income households who benefit from the earned-income tax credit and child tax credit. They often use that money to pay down debt or make major purchases.

“This is money families expect to receive in a timely fashion each year in order to pay for basic expenses like rent, food and child care,” Rep. Richard Neal (D., Mass.), the new chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, wrote in a letter Friday to Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.

In the letter, Mr. Neal asked for details on IRS’s plans for refunds, the filing season and regulatory guidance for implementing the tax law that Congress passed in late 2017.

“Given this is the first tax filing season to reflect the overhaul of the tax law, it is particularly important for stakeholders, taxpayers and the Congress to understand Treasury’s current capabilities and anticipated challenges,” Mr. Neal wrote.

Write to Richard Rubin at richard.rubin@wsj.com
Edited by user 4 minutes ago | Reason: Not specified
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
PrimaDawna on 1/4/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed