Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

39 Pages«<678910>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nonewsnotgood  
#141 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 6:15:43 PM(UTC)
nonewsnotgood

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post
I didn't get a call. Our call site was completely shutdown so there are no managers working to call. I'm just a seasonal CSR AM that like many was in skill up tax law training.

I applied for unemployment that I need to submit paperwork that I haven't gathered by Monday to be approved. I applied for unemployment as a backup plan just in case seasonals don't get back pay. Does anyone know for sure seasonals would get backpay?

In my state unemployment has to review submitted paperwork that will take 2 weeks. Any money they would pay goes on a prepaid like card that I intended to leave on the card until I know for sure if I am getting back pay. If I get recalled and get back pay I just call unemployment and they will take the money back from the card. I reported I am a furlough federal worker and my state unemployment said as long I can't say for certain when my return to service date is or for certain I will be paid back pay I am eligible to apply for unemployment in my state.

I volunteer regularly at a local food pantry. In the line today there were coworkers from my call site and other federal agency employees in need. People had to use their last check to pay rent, utilities, medical bills, car notes, credit card, student loans, etc. One person said they walked a good 3 miles to the pantry because they can't waste gas not knowing if they will be recalled, will get back pay or get unemployment.

Don't just scare people with some investigation for applying for unemployment. Instead give them the correct facts and tell them to reach out to community services. My unemployment office is referring furloughed federal workers to community resources.

The private sector teaches you to be ahead of the game, be prepared and arrive 5 minutes early or you'll be 15 minutes late.

Nobody is trying to scare or discourage people into not applying for unemployment, What was pointed out are facts from what certain people encountered in 2013. Where you an employee then?

Not every state offers a prepaid card for benefits. Some either send you a check or direct deposit your entitlement to a bank account, so these people would have to pay the money back.

As far as seasonal's getting back paid, we will IF Congress puts through a bill and the President signs it. In 2013 seasonal's in AM did not get paid because they made sure they furloughed us on 9/29/2013 and the shutdown started 10/1/2013. In that case the seasonal's did get unemployment. The perms were the ones that had issues (the ones that took unemployment instead of waiting to come back and get back pay.) As someone else also stated, there were instances where people did not do what they were supposed to and suffered consequences.

What it comes down to is if you desperately need the money, then get the unemployment. If not, then you MAY be better off to wait.

I have been to this rodeo too any times with these shutdowns. As difficult as it is, I make sure that I put some money on the side because this can and will happen again and again because of the clowns that have us at their mercy.

I wouldn't worry about causing problems if you apply for UC. If you get it and then are called back then repay it. If someone later on says you didn't then show them the proof you repaid it. That's one thing I would wouldn't lose sleep over.

Face it you may need to file for UC. I heard on the news Trump said this could be MONTHS or YEARS. Now it's not going to be years. And even months is a stretch. Yeah if you need UC file for it and then pay it back when this crap is over.
thanks 1 user thanked nonewsnotgood for this useful post.
sekonick on 1/5/2019(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre  
#142 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 7:00:02 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dmellow Go to Quoted Post
I saw an article in the Wall Street Journal that talks about the Treasury's plan to try to get us going again.

Tax-Season Plan for Shutdown Coming Soon, Treasury Says

Administration hasn’t yet said when tax-filing season will start or whether it will change guidance on refunds

IRS funding expired Dec. 21, caught in a dispute between President Trump and lawmakers over a wall on the
U.S.-Mexico border. Photo: jonathan ernst/Reuters

By Richard Rubin

Jan. 4, 2019 6:28 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON—The Treasury Department said Friday the government will update its plan for income-tax filing during a government shutdown “in the coming days,” but didn’t specify when the Internal Revenue Service would begin accepting 2018 tax returns or whether it was seeking a legal way to issue tax refunds.

IRS funding expired Dec. 21, caught in a dispute between President Trump and lawmakers over a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border. Since then, seven in eight IRS employees have been furloughed and routine audits have stopped. The remaining workers include those who run critical computer systems and conduct criminal investigations.

Under the IRS’s plan through Dec. 31 and a similar one prepared for last year’s filing season, the tax agency lists “issuing refunds” among the activities it doesn’t do during a shutdown. That plan remains in effect.

Reversing that decision would likely require a legal determination that tax refunds are exempt from the shutdown. The IRS pays refunds under a permanent appropriation that doesn’t have to be renewed annually, but there are other recurring costs associated with those payments. The government could argue, as it does already for IRS workers who support Social Security, that those costs are implied by the permanent funding for refunds and can continue despite the shutdown.

If a shutdown drags into mid-February and that refund policy isn’t changed, the consequences would start piling up for households and for the broader economy. By Feb. 16 last year, the IRS had paid $101.2 billion to nearly 32 million households.

A shutdown that long would be unprecedented, but President Trump said Friday that he is willing to hold out for more than a year. He also said he hoped lawmakers could resolve their impasse soon.

“The IRS will finalize and release its filing season lapse plan in the coming days,” the Treasury Department said in its statement late Friday.
The filing season is expected to open by the end of the January, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Many people who get those early refunds are low-income households who benefit from the earned-income tax credit and child tax credit. They often use that money to pay down debt or make major purchases.

“This is money families expect to receive in a timely fashion each year in order to pay for basic expenses like rent, food and child care,” Rep. Richard Neal (D., Mass.), the new chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, wrote in a letter Friday to Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.

In the letter, Mr. Neal asked for details on IRS’s plans for refunds, the filing season and regulatory guidance for implementing the tax law that Congress passed in late 2017.

“Given this is the first tax filing season to reflect the overhaul of the tax law, it is particularly important for stakeholders, taxpayers and the Congress to understand Treasury’s current capabilities and anticipated challenges,” Mr. Neal wrote.

Write to Richard Rubin at richard.rubin@wsj.com
Edited by user 4 minutes ago | Reason: Not specified

National Taxpayer Advocate herself even proposed keeping the filing gate slammed closed until February 15th one year as a test to see if we could reduce IVO issues. By then we would have the basic download from CAWR and could start rejecting the BS returns more fluidly. We didn’t cover ourselves in glory this past season.

I question if Chief Counsel or Treasury General Counsel will produce a determination to let us release refunds. With ERS, TPP, IVO, and SPIDT in the mix without funding for them I question how. We are trying to abandon “pay & case” for improper payments no matter what the new chair of Ways & Means wants.
chriswt25  
#143 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 7:50:33 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 54 post(s)
I also got 2 calls today, neither which I answered when I saw the caller ID. The first at 1:30 telling me to report Mon and then the reprieve call at around 3:30 saying do not show up Mon. I made myself a celebratory cocktail at 3:31. I really do not feel like being forced to work with no idea when I will be compensated.

Edited by user Friday, January 4, 2019 7:51:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LieutenantBlantyre  
#144 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 8:40:19 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

I also got 2 calls today, neither which I answered when I saw the caller ID. The first at 1:30 telling me to report Mon and then the reprieve call at around 3:30 saying do not show up Mon. I made myself a celebratory cocktail at 3:31. I really do not feel like being forced to work with no idea when I will be compensated.

And for the weekend if anybody is bored, I'll suggest the strange film written by Melissa Rauch entitled "The Bronze". It is an escapist fantasy about gymnastics written by the actress who plays Bernadette on The Big Bang Theory. It may be available at your local library.
spence  
#145 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 8:56:41 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post

National Taxpayer Advocate herself even proposed keeping the filing gate slammed closed until February 15th one year as a test to see if we could reduce IVO issues. By then we would have the basic download from CAWR and could start rejecting the BS returns more fluidly. We didn’t cover ourselves in glory this past season.

I question if Chief Counsel or Treasury General Counsel will produce a determination to let us release refunds. With ERS, TPP, IVO, and SPIDT in the mix without funding for them I question how. We are trying to abandon “pay & case” for improper payments no matter what the new chair of Ways & Means wants.

Refundable credit refunds (EIC and refundable Child Tax Credit) are already held and not even fully processed till after February 15th. A lot of these things are caught with electronic filters and don't need a lot of human involvement to hold. It's releasing the hold that takes forever and takes a lot of staffing. I see no reason not to allow timely efile refunds though for the vast majority of law-abiding, compliant taxpayers who are not already covered by this stuff.

Edited by user Friday, January 4, 2019 9:19:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Hired 2015  
#146 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 7:05:39 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 30 post(s)
What about our benefits deductions for FEHB during the shutdown? Last year returning from furlough my first check was only for a week and they double deducted for FEHB. The net on my check was under $50. Thankfully I had made FEHB payments so I only had one check with a double deduction.

If we are out another pay period will we get a notice to pay FEHB and other benefits? For those forced to work without pay will their first check have double deductions for the benefits?

OPM Issues Status Update on Benefits During Shutdown https://www.fedweek.com/...enefits-during-shutdown/

thanks 1 user thanked Hired 2015 for this useful post.
GWPDA on 1/5/2019(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre  
#147 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 8:07:46 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

For the avoidance of uncertainty and doubt:

Quote:
IRS Reverses Course; Delays Callbacks

Last night, the IRS informed NTEU that it is delaying the callback of employees as it awaits approval from the Treasury Department on a filing season shutdown plan. This information came after we sent yesterday afternoon's message reporting the return to work for employees in the following areas:

W&I Accounts Management (AM) – CSRs on phones who assist taxpayers with filing returns;

W&I Submission Processing (SP) – employees who open the mail and process checks (remittance processing); and

SB/SE Automated Collection System (ACS) employees.
If you were called by your supervisor and told to report to work on Monday, you should receive a second call delaying your return. This is a confusing situation on top of an already chaotic partial government shutdown.

If you are unsure of your status, contact your supervisor. NTEU will continue to stay in touch with the IRS about the return to work status for all categories of employees, based on the filing season shutdown plan that is ultimately approved by Treasury.

This unnecessary and destructive government shutdown must come to an end. The impact on you and all the other impacted federal employees is unfair. NTEU is working to get the government fully funded so you can get back to work and be paid for that work.

Watch your inbox and NTEU's website for additional information.

Alrighty, let me go back to my workbench to what I was building...

Edited by user Saturday, January 5, 2019 8:08:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: DYAC

GWPDA  
#148 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 11:49:17 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 622 time(s) in 505 post(s)
Guys, I'm DOD and on the sidelines for this go-round but be aware that all of us who are not being hit now wish there were something we could do to help and support you all.
thanks 3 users thanked GWPDA for this useful post.
Msstl on 1/5/2019(UTC), John Crichton on 1/5/2019(UTC), spence on 1/5/2019(UTC)
nonewsnotgood  
#149 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 12:06:47 PM(UTC)
nonewsnotgood

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
Guys, I'm DOD and on the sidelines for this go-round but be aware that all of us who are not being hit now wish there were something we could do to help and support you all.

Thank you very much for the thought. I for one am a seasonal employee who didn't get furloughed as expected. So the shutdown though hard for some for others it's a needed rest. This will get fixed soon enough.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#150 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 12:36:59 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Since we all seemingly take user names from Firefly, Farscape and Baen Books science fiction...you can tell we are an interesting lot. The biggest support is to do your job beyond reproach to where the members of Congress can only look up to your honor and integrity. There are very angry people in both parties in Congress so we all have to do our very best under the emotional fire we’re taking. Appropriators will be out for scalps especially since earmarking has returned in the House.

My favorite Baen authors: Tom Kratman, John Ringo, David Drake, David Weber, and Rosemary Edgehill.
John Crichton  
#151 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 1:03:40 PM(UTC)
John Crichton

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Since we all seemingly take user names from Firefly, Farscape and Baen Books science fiction...you can tell we are an interesting lot.

I have no idea what you're talking about. ;)
Red  
#152 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 1:05:49 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 37 post(s)
GWPDA- you wish there were something you could do to help....There is. Call your Congressman, be polite, be professional, but let him or her know there are people (voters) out here who are affected. I call mine, and write, when there's something that affects me and my family. They work for us and they do respond to calls. They need to hear from people who make the system work, and they often don't hear from them.
govguy  
#153 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 3:32:41 PM(UTC)
govguy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
There are 800,000 federal employees furloughed or working without pay. How long does the govt think people can work without being paid while their bills and other daily expenses for work - parking, lunch, gas - pile up. Meanwhile, the house and senate get their full pay. Congressmen should be well aware of what is going on and should be making this a priority without employees calling them to get them motivated. And these emails from NTEU, jeez, what kind of union lets their workers work without pay. I have yet to find something that benefits me for being a union member paying 30 bucks a month.
thanks 1 user thanked govguy for this useful post.
jaylakent on 1/5/2019(UTC)
sekonick  
#154 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 7:35:35 PM(UTC)
sekonick

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Do we apply for unemployment? Some at my call site said they would have to apply for unemployment if this drags on past the 26th?

Generally, if we get retroactive pay you’ll need to pay the unemployment compensation back. There is a three week waiting period in Ohio and the longest ever shutdown was three weeks back in 1995. In my case I’m going to have to ride it out.

Ohio only has a one week waiting period. If you want UI it would be a good idea to apply sooner than later
Icehcky13  
#155 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 7:47:16 PM(UTC)
Icehcky13

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Do you guys think any chance they make calls tomorrow (Sunday) for am employees to report Monday ?
spence  
#156 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 7:59:51 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: govguy Go to Quoted Post
There are 800,000 federal employees furloughed or working without pay. How long does the govt think people can work without being paid while their bills and other daily expenses for work - parking, lunch, gas - pile up. Meanwhile, the house and senate get their full pay. Congressmen should be well aware of what is going on and should be making this a priority without employees calling them to get them motivated. And these emails from NTEU, jeez, what kind of union lets their workers work without pay. I have yet to find something that benefits me for being a union member paying 30 bucks a month.

The union is trying, but it can't work miracles. I can think of many things NTEU has done that have benefitted me. Off the top of my head,

1) The settlements on night differential -- Payments for night diff in certain years that were miscalculated.
2) Performance Awards -- the agency was going to get rid of them completely in 2013. NTEU fought for the language in the contract and kept them around. They also alerted the IRS to some people who were eligible who were missing from their list this year.
3) First consideration for internals when hiring for jobs -- when I get a job internally, it's thanks to the NTEU contract allowing for that movement and setting standards for how. Otherwise the agency wouldn't care as much about promoting from within and would just bring in people from outside.
4) NTEU stopped a seasonal release that was being done incorrectly without notice in a place I worked.
5) Leave hours several years later for people who were affected by the 2013 multiple one-day unpaid furloughs, due to some flaw in the process around them.

Edited by user Saturday, January 5, 2019 8:29:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

spence  
#157 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 8:24:47 PM(UTC)

I just read this, House Democrats are now going to try a stand-alone bill to reopen just Treasury first:

"With talks stalled, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced that House Democrats plan to start approving individual bills to reopen shuttered departments starting with Treasury to ensure Americans receive their tax refunds."

https://www.msn.com/en-u...-BBRPbpW?ocid=spartanntp
chriswt25  
#158 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 8:48:31 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Originally Posted by: spence Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: govguy Go to Quoted Post

The union is trying, but it can't work miracles. I can think of many things NTEU has done that have benefitted me. Off the top of my head,

1) The settlements on night differential -- Payments for night diff in certain years that were miscalculated.
2) Performance Awards -- the agency was going to get rid of them completely in 2013. NTEU fought for the language in the contract and kept them around. They also alerted the IRS to some people who were eligible who were missing from their list this year.
3) First consideration for internals when hiring for jobs -- when I get a job internally, it's thanks to the NTEU contract allowing for that movement and setting standards for how. Otherwise the agency wouldn't care as much about promoting from within and would just bring in people from outside.
4) NTEU stopped a seasonal release that was being done incorrectly without notice in a place I worked.
5) Leave hours several years later for people who were affected by the 2013 multiple one-day unpaid furloughs, due to some flaw in the process around them.

I can think of plenty they don't do also. Right now Fed employees are receiving a boatload of supportive press over this situation. You would think NTEU and the other unions would organize local demonstrations around the country. So far "crickets"

These unions have been complicit for years when it comes to overtime pay being capped. Take a look at the OT GS pay scales once you get to the GS 8 level. There is a cap in the OT hourly rate at step 10 and above. If you get to a GS 9 it caps at Step 5 or above. It gets worse if you get higher up the GS chain. It is outrageous that this goes unchallenged.

Edited by user Saturday, January 5, 2019 9:15:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LieutenantBlantyre  
#159 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 9:42:30 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: sekonick Go to Quoted Post
Do we apply for unemployment? Some at my call site said they would have to apply for unemployment if this drags on past the 26th?

Generally, if we get retroactive pay you’ll need to pay the unemployment compensation back. There is a three week waiting period in Ohio and the longest ever shutdown was three weeks back in 1995. In my case I’m going to have to ride it out.

Ohio only has a one week waiting period. If you want UI it would be a good idea to apply sooner than later

I stand corrected.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#160 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 9:51:04 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: spence Go to Quoted Post
I just read this, House Democrats are now going to try a stand-alone bill to reopen just Treasury first:

"With talks stalled, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced that House Democrats plan to start approving individual bills to reopen shuttered departments starting with Treasury to ensure Americans receive their tax refunds."

https://www.msn.com/en-u...-BBRPbpW?ocid=spartanntp

Senate is out until Tuesday so there won't be quick action on this, if at all. Granted, I wrote to my member in the House and both of my state's senators proposing doing just this in the last Congress. Then again, I also wrote proposing to suspend the operation of IRC 6404 (Interest on Overpayments) if this drags on.

The language in the bill that got already rejected boosted money for us in Taxpayer Services by taking it out of Enforcement as well as Business Systems Modernization. Hopefully that's not in this proposed version too. Having more money to keep us on the phones and the TACs open is great but not at the expense of keeping the mainframe/IAT/AMS/FAST and all the other systems alive.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed