Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ebgard15  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2018 5:55:29 PM(UTC)
ebgard15

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

HI there, recently got a TO for a position at Charleston and been doing some research and gathering info to figure out places to live. The consensus seems to be Mount Pleasant, Summerville, or West Ashley from what I have read on some reddit AF forums. Anyone currently down there? I would be taking a GS-7 position and since I would be coming from MA in the metro Boston area I understand prices and cost of living. I am reading the traffic can be an issue down there so I would like to be 40 minutes or under if possible.

As far as my personal stuff I am single mid 30s with no family/kids...hobbies are watching sports, playing golf (big one for me), enjoying the beach, other outdoor stuff. I know there should be plenty to do in that climate but always good to get some feedback prior to making a big decision.
Discipline Equals Freedom- Jocko Willink
GWPDA  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2018 6:20:28 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 456 time(s) in 380 post(s)
http://www.jbcharlestonfamilyhousing.com - Base housing is available to DOD civilians at JB Charleston and rent will be pegged to income. Should be both convenient and relatively nice.
j2huggies  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 7:05:58 PM(UTC)
j2huggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Cost of living will be much lower. Summerville is where its at. I would avoid living on base if I could avoid it.
-J Hughes
USAF Veteran 2004-2012
Police Dispatcher
Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
FedCivServ  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 07, 2019 12:45:57 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 135 post(s)
As a golfer you will LOVE Charleston. It is kind of spendy but you are coming from a spendier place so that's a good thing. You might want to consider getting a roommate so you can enjoy some social things (like golf)... i think if you stay away from downtown it will be a lot cheaper.
someoldguy  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 09, 2019 3:02:22 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 832 time(s) in 690 post(s)
Sales tax in the Charleston area can be over 11%! Save money at the BX :)

They complain about traffic there now, they don't know what traffic is. But I guess if it has gotten more congested, then it seems much worse to long time residents. even though it is not on my top ten list of suck traffic places.

Mt Pleasant is nice but not terribly convenient to the base.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed