Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

39 Pages«<1213141516>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LieutenantBlantyre  
#261 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 2:15:07 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 151 post(s)
H R 264 YEA-AND-NAY 9-Jan-2019 5:00 PM
QUESTION: On Motion to Recommit with Instructions
BILL TITLE: Making appropriations for financial services and general government for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2019, and for other purposes

Yeas Nays PRES NV
Democratic 8 225 1
Republican 192 2 5
Independent
TOTALS 200 227 6

FINAL VOTE RESULTS FOR ROLL CALL 21
(Democrats in roman; Republicans in italic; Independents underlined)

H R 264 YEA-AND-NAY 9-Jan-2019 5:09 PM
QUESTION: On Passage
BILL TITLE: Making appropriations for financial services and general government for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2019, and for other purposes

Yeas Nays PRES NV
Democratic 232 2
Republican 8 188 3
Independent
TOTALS 240 188 5

The eight Republicans voting in favor on final passage were:

Fitzpatrick
Herrera Beutler
Hurd (TX)
Katko
Kinzinger
Stefanik
Upton
Walden

Currently Senator Brown of Ohio is bloviating about nothing in particular in the Senate.
thanks 1 user thanked LieutenantBlantyre for this useful post.
jaylakent on 1/9/2019(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre  
#262 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 2:21:48 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

And now we get Senator Rubio of Florida. I don't think the House is expected to take up any further legislation today after the very truncated debate on the Financial Services/General Government bill.
caligurl0222  
#263 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 2:33:11 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I was finally able to get through to CA EDD after several attempts. They only answers the phones from 8 a.m. to 12 noon. Out here federal employees can't file for unemployment via the website.
I had to attempt several days. They would have too many calls in the que already and the phone would hang up. Sounds familiar?πŸ˜‚
Hang in there everyone!
This too shall pass.
I believe in Laws of Attraction and I attract good things!
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Michelle10 on 1/9/2019(UTC)
Michelle10  
#264 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 2:39:49 PM(UTC)
Michelle10

United States

Originally Posted by: Icehcky13 Go to Quoted Post
When do all think AM csrs will be called back to work? Do you see it being this week or next? I’m honestly not going to be happy going into work and not getting paid on time. I

The earliest we will be required to go back on the 11th or 14th. The updated contingency plan has not been released yet. Each day we don't have an updated contingency plan means we're closed another day. Last week, the Treasury announced it would be released this Wednesday or Thursday. Now they're saying this plan will be released "in the coming days."
Michelle10  
#265 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 2:50:43 PM(UTC)
Michelle10

United States

I assume we'll lose new hires over this.

Michelle10  
#266 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 3:10:23 PM(UTC)
Michelle10

United States

I'm in Colorado. When we had the furlough in 2013, I filed for unemployment and got a check in 2-3 weeks. The timeframe now is 4-6 weeks. Ugh.

I wouldn't let the fear of TIGTA or the fear of being dismissed from IRS keep anyone from filing (while you're eligible). I had to repay the unemployment check I received in 2013, since we received back pay. It was not a big deal; the State made the process easy. I got a 1099 and I had to make a notation on my return. I told my supervisor but never heard anything from the State or IRS.
cs79  
#267 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 3:14:56 PM(UTC)
cs79

United States

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michelle10 Go to Quoted Post

Probably.

Even myself, I just started in Oct, I'm applying to a DOD job this evening.
GWPDA  
#268 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:39:11 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 490 time(s) in 409 post(s)
As a DOD civilian, I say welcome to the dark side. Keep in mind our funding only goes thru end of the fiscal year.

And I'm so stressed by all of this (along with a host of other things being faced by all of us as citizens) that I took off 4 hours early today. I'm diverting my attention by doing a lot of ironing. And cooking.

BTW, the last time I got sequestered I actually did make money by doing laundry and ironing. Better and more independent income than babysitting!
CPAHopefull  
#269 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:43:28 PM(UTC)
CPAHopefull

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)

I just started a CSR job in October. I put a lot of thought into it with this whole shutdown thing, and am starting a new job in the private sector on Monday. Several people on my team are looking as well. We were still in training.

Financially, I'm just not leaving myself in this position.
Jimmy81  
#270 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:51:36 PM(UTC)
Jimmy81

United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Looks like the big banks aren't hurting.

Quote:

In a letter released Monday to participants of its Income Verification Express Service, the IRS said it will begin working through the backlog of requests that have piled up since December 22 and that the employees involved will return to work.

Originally, the IRS suspended processing tax transcript information when the shutdown began, but as concerns about a prolonged shutdown heightened, trade groups – including the Mortgage Bankers Association – lobbied the IRS to reconsider.

https://www.housingwire....applicants-amid-shutdown

Hired 2015  
#271 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 5:48:38 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I've been through the 80s days of the corporate raiders that thinned out many job in accounting, tax and payroll. Then automation took many more jobs from our industry. In the private sector there are budget and resource issues that led to pink slips or prolonged unemployment.

There is no utopia workplace. The paychecks are unstable for more today.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#272 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 6:18:24 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Well, we never got our new hires to even having certified on default screener at Cleveland. We can't train them during a shutdown. If they're not certified to do anything and we can't train them, do we just bid them farewell?

Originally Posted by: cs79 Go to Quoted Post

Probably.

Even myself, I just started in Oct, I'm applying to a DOD job this evening.

Make sure it is a Working Capital Fund agency that isn't necessarily subject to the appropriations process.

Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
As a DOD civilian, I say welcome to the dark side. Keep in mind our funding only goes thru end of the fiscal year.

And I'm so stressed by all of this (along with a host of other things being faced by all of us as citizens) that I took off 4 hours early today. I'm diverting my attention by doing a lot of ironing. And cooking.

BTW, the last time I got sequestered I actually did make money by doing laundry and ironing. Better and more independent income than babysitting!

There is going to have to be a "Convention of the States" to tinker at the edges to re-balance things a bit. This can't go on.

Originally Posted by: CPAHopefull Go to Quoted Post

I just started a CSR job in October. I put a lot of thought into it with this whole shutdown thing, and am starting a new job in the private sector on Monday. Several people on my team are looking as well. We were still in training.

Financially, I'm just not leaving myself in this position.

Good Luck & Good Hunting.

Originally Posted by: Jimmy81 Go to Quoted Post
Looks like the big banks aren't hurting.

Quote:

In a letter released Monday to participants of its Income Verification Express Service, the IRS said it will begin working through the backlog of requests that have piled up since December 22 and that the employees involved will return to work.

Originally, the IRS suspended processing tax transcript information when the shutdown began, but as concerns about a prolonged shutdown heightened, trade groups – including the Mortgage Bankers Association – lobbied the IRS to reconsider.

https://www.housingwire....applicants-amid-shutdown

Well, people in RAIVS will be busy at certain service centers. Get Transcript Online is still down for the moment.
FatHappyCat  
#273 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 6:31:27 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 91 post(s)

At the rate we're going, we're decades away from September and TBH, he won't touch the military considering it's a large part of his base....you know from the 10% raise that they all got. *boggle*

GWPDA  
#274 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 6:37:31 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 490 time(s) in 409 post(s)
"he won't touch the military considering it's a large part of his base....you know from the 10% raise that they all got. *boggle*"

They t'ain't a part of his 'base'. Educated, trained, select - they see thru the joker the same way they can see thru any other wannabe. I'm not sure that Himself knows it, but on this side of the house we most certainly do. It's just that the UCMJ prevents them from making their point....
LieutenantBlantyre  
#275 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 7:40:58 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

"he won't touch the military considering it's a large part of his base....you know from the 10% raise that they all got. *boggle*"

They t'ain't a part of his 'base'. Educated, trained, select - they see thru the joker the same way they can see thru any other wannabe. I'm not sure that Himself knows it, but on this side of the house we most certainly do. It's just that the UCMJ prevents them from making their point....

Look at Section 1203 of the IRS Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998. We’re not under the UCMJ but it is our own very special piece of nastiness.
512student  
#276 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 10:13:36 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Some questions and concerns about returning to service. What are your thoughts?

I self-furloughed from AM in the summer and received a return to duty notice, prior to the shut down, for Jan. 3rd. Should I consider UI with a from date of Jan. 3rd, if we are not back to work Monday?

--The Updated FAQs linked in this thread only links to the TSP site for add'l info. In general, we cannot borrow from TSP while in non-pay status. When we are declared and return as essentials, will we still be in non-pay status and thereby still unable to borrow from TSP?

Last year there was so much confusion across the floor about the work we were and weren't allowed to do during the shut down. In addition to that madness, if the shut down continues and we return without update training, how could we accurately handle questions regarding this year's filing season? How do you expect this to play out?

Is anyone here thinking we won't be essential and back to work by Monday? If so, what's your rationale?

As I mentioned, I have been out since the summer and plan to jump into read time on Monday. Any one think my read time could be withdrawn or taken away because of this shut down?

I rarely post but frequently read. Many of you feel like big brothers and sisters. Reading your posts has helped me stay relatively calm. Thank you.

Your Comrade

Edited by user Wednesday, January 9, 2019 10:14:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Hired 2015  
#277 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 11:31:35 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
IRS employee emergency at irs.gov appears to be updated.

In the shutdowns earlier this year I did find posts on this blog helpful. We didn't have any guidance with our managers furloughed.
chriswt25  
#278 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 3:23:07 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 512student Go to Quoted Post
Some questions and concerns about returning to service. What are your thoughts?

I self-furloughed from AM in the summer and received a return to duty notice, prior to the shut down, for Jan. 3rd. Should I consider UI with a from date of Jan. 3rd, if we are not back to work Monday?

--The Updated FAQs linked in this thread only links to the TSP site for add'l info. In general, we cannot borrow from TSP while in non-pay status. When we are declared and return as essentials, will we still be in non-pay status and thereby still unable to borrow from TSP?

Last year there was so much confusion across the floor about the work we were and weren't allowed to do during the shut down. In addition to that madness, if the shut down continues and we return without update training, how could we accurately handle questions regarding this year's filing season? How do you expect this to play out?

Is anyone here thinking we won't be essential and back to work by Monday? If so, what's your rationale?

As I mentioned, I have been out since the summer and plan to jump into read time on Monday. Any one think my read time could be withdrawn or taken away because of this shut down?

I rarely post but frequently read. Many of you feel like big brothers and sisters. Reading your posts has helped me stay relatively calm. Thank you.

Your Comrade

You are going to be out of luck as far as trying to collect unemployment backdated to 1/3/2019, because you would have had to be on duty on 12/21/2018 (the date the shutdown started) to be eligible. Unfortunately it does not matter that your intentions were to return on 1/3.

Regarding the TSP, I am not sure about that. Your best bet would be to call them.

As far as what day we will be brought back, I don't know if it will be next Monday, but I am sure we will be forced back without pay at some point fairly soon. Who knows what they will allow us to do or not do based on the fact that we will still be working during a shutdown, I would think they will try to skill us all up on the new tax law, even though we were never allowed to do training in past shutdowns.

I can imagine there is going to be a real mess with all the 5081's to try to get everyone reestablished on all the applications. It is going yo take time, as there is nobody there to put those requests in, in advance.

LadyKnits  
#279 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 4:21:51 AM(UTC)
LadyKnits

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I believe you should be eligible for unemployment effective your official call back date. If the government was open you would have reported to work on January 3. Therefore, you are back as an employee on that date. Depending on what state you live in, I would apply. Best case scenario you are approved. Worst case you are denied. If you get retro back pay, then like everyone else, it needs to be repaid.

I was a seasonal back in 2013 and in a furlough in the middle of that shutdown. I had an official call back date that hit during the shutdown. I received unemployment up until the call back, but knew we were getting retro pay so never followed through on claiming the shutdown days. I was paid retro salary from my call back date just like the perms.
chriswt25  
#280 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 4:37:20 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LadyKnits Go to Quoted Post

I believe you should be eligible for unemployment effective your official call back date. If the government was open you would have reported to work on January 3. Therefore, you are back as an employee on that date. Depending on what state you live in, I would apply. Best case scenario you are approved. Worst case you are denied. If you get retro back pay, then like everyone else, it needs to be repaid.

I was a seasonal back in 2013 and in a furlough in the middle of that shutdown. I had an official call back date that hit during the shutdown. I received unemployment up until the call back, but knew we were getting retro pay so never followed through on claiming the shutdown days. I was paid retro salary from my call back date just like the perms.

They have no idea that you were going to show on 1/3/2019. Just because you had a return date doesn't mean you were going to show up. The people that are eligible for UI are the ones that were physically working the day the Gov't shut down. Personally I would not take the chance of getting the unemployment if I had self-furloughed before the shutdown date.

In 2013 in AM, the seasonal's were purposely furloughed 9/29 before the shutdown on 10/1 They did it so they didn't have to back pay us. Our only option was to take UI They called us back as soon as the shutdown was over

Edited by user Thursday, January 10, 2019 4:38:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed