Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

39 Pages«<1314151617>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LadyKnits  
#281 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 5:18:46 AM(UTC)
LadyKnits

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I only know what happened to me. I am in AUR and we were furloughed earlier in September that year. I was officially called back and expected to return to work. I even told unemployment my story. I think the state unemployment office will make their determination based on their rules. Again, if a mistake is made, then you repay any unemployment you weren’t supposed to get. Just follow the rules.
Hired 2015  
#282 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 7:37:01 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 21 post(s)
What does TPP tell us? How many ways it could not be as planned.

Its good leadership of your own life to apply for unemployment. If we are paid than pay it back.
kayadash  
#283 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 7:42:20 AM(UTC)
kayadash

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 512student Go to Quoted Post

Is anyone here thinking we won't be essential and back to work by Monday? If so, what's your rationale?

This is just my opinion not based on experience - CSR's don't have any absolutely essential reason to be answering filing questions until the season starts. There are still dead cycles.

Edited by user Thursday, January 10, 2019 2:42:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

chriswt25  
#284 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 9:27:27 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LadyKnits Go to Quoted Post
I only know what happened to me. I am in AUR and we were furloughed earlier in September that year. I was officially called back and expected to return to work. I even told unemployment my story. I think the state unemployment office will make their determination based on their rules. Again, if a mistake is made, then you repay any unemployment you weren’t supposed to get. Just follow the rules.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you. The issue I see happening when you apply is one of the questions is "What is the last day you worked?" It is not when was the first day you were supposed to go back to work after being out of work since the summer.
LadyKnits  
#285 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 10:00:09 AM(UTC)
LadyKnits

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
And you answer the question honestly. If your last day was 4 months ago, they might question why you didn’t claim UI. Explain you volunteered for furlough, we’re not eligible for UI and now become eligible due to being called back during a shutdown. Again, let the state make the determination. I don’t see any harm in trying.

I am no longer a seasonal so I don’t have that problem.
Icehcky13  
#286 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 11:07:15 AM(UTC)
Icehcky13

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Some rumors in Brookhaven ppl are being called back as essential.. anyone get a call?
LieutenantBlantyre  
#287 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 11:36:41 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 174 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Icehcky13 Go to Quoted Post
Some rumors in Brookhaven ppl are being called back as essential.. anyone get a call?

All I've been told through unofficial channels was that I should keep January 28th as open as possible and to make no plans at all for that day that would conflict with potential return to very unpaid duty. I keep looking for new work as I'm not expecting this to get properly resolved let alone be paid on a timely basis. As much as I want to come back to the job I already have, I'm getting tired of having my chain yanked so to say.

Edited by user Thursday, January 10, 2019 11:40:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

chriswt25  
#288 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 1:37:05 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

As much as I do not want to see it, the best thing right now for us (as furloughed people) might be for a national emergency to be declared. It would get us back to work fast and with pay.

These negotiations are going nowhere fast.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#289 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 4:22:41 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Federal employees rally, demand end to shutdown holding pay ‘hostage’ https://federalnewsnetwork.com/g...own-holding-pay-hostage/

Senate passed viva voce S. 24 which is back pay legislation covering those working & those furloughed. The bill is on the list for "suspension of the rules" consideration requiring two-thirds to pass it in the House. POTUS said he'd sign this.

Call/E-mail your Congressman...

Edited by user Thursday, January 10, 2019 4:23:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked LieutenantBlantyre for this useful post.
jaylakent on 1/10/2019(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre  
#290 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 10:20:46 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post
As much as I do not want to see it, the best thing right now for us (as furloughed people) might be for a national emergency to be declared. It would get us back to work fast and with pay.

A declaration would involve the National Emergencies Act (50 USC 1601-1651) stating he'll use the construction authority in 10 USC 2808 to put the Army Corps of Engineers, the Navy's Seabees, and the USAF Civil Engineer Center to work. If POTUS does this, I honestly think he'll simply be impeached and quite possibly removed. When writers like Rich Lowry, editor of National Review. and others on the right side of the aisle are slamming the idea of declaring a national emergency just to do an end run around the appropriations process there may be Republican votes in the Senate to oust the current POTUS.

Impeachment then trial takes a couple weeks to run. I know House leadership say they don't want to do it but doing a move like this would likely push things over the edge. We wouldn't be back to work any sooner and would have a multi-ringed circus in DC to watch.

Executive Order 13223 is an example of a pre-existing national emergency POTUS could potentially do something under, too. EO 13814 shows how he might does that. We'll see.
#291 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 1:29:04 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Get that impeachment notion out of your head. He has crossed the Rubicon. Nobody will attempt to stop him. He has been obstructing justice since week 1. There is no will to contain him. Now all Congress wants to do is pacify him. He will get what he wants. Sorry, but I don't hold out any hope that he can be stopped. If Mitch McConnell wanted to stop him with a veto-proof bill, all of us would be preparing to return to work in our respective agencies. McConnell is more interested in appeasing Trump than in governing.
thanks 1 user thanked .... for this useful post.
VaVirgo79 on 1/11/2019(UTC)
chriswt25  
#292 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 2:50:41 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post

A declaration would involve the National Emergencies Act (50 USC 1601-1651) stating he'll use the construction authority in 10 USC 2808 to put the Army Corps of Engineers, the Navy's Seabees, and the USAF Civil Engineer Center to work. If POTUS does this, I honestly think he'll simply be impeached and quite possibly removed. When writers like Rich Lowry, editor of National Review. and others on the right side of the aisle are slamming the idea of declaring a national emergency just to do an end run around the appropriations process there may be Republican votes in the Senate to oust the current POTUS.

Impeachment then trial takes a couple weeks to run. I know House leadership say they don't want to do it but doing a move like this would likely push things over the edge. We wouldn't be back to work any sooner and would have a multi-ringed circus in DC to watch.

Executive Order 13223 is an example of a pre-existing national emergency POTUS could potentially do something under, too. EO 13814 shows how he might does that. We'll see.

Like I said, I am not questioning the merits of declaring an emergency (I personally think it would be a terrible way to deal with things), I am just saying that there is such an impasse that for us as unpaid, locked out employees, it may be the quickest route to get back on the job. My understanding is that doing the declaration literally winds up funding the Gov't and getting us back on the job.

Both sides in this disaster have a stench to them that is disturbing. 20 days now, and they are entrenched in frankly a sickening battle of egos. At this point I almost think the Presidents opposition in this wouldn't mind him doing a declaration all that much. Yes it would create another crisis legally, but selfishly it may be our best avenue to see a paycheck sooner.

Edited by user Friday, January 11, 2019 2:52:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nonewsnotgood  
#293 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 5:36:43 AM(UTC)
nonewsnotgood

United States

Impeachment will never happen. First remember the people that supported him they don't care what he does. When confronted with the facts they dismiss him. I can't understand why Trump feels he needs the wall. He once said he could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue and they would still support him. Now that's a stretch but essential his base sold their souls to this fool. The Senate Republicans will find ANY reason not to do impeach.

Now to OVERTURN an Emergency declaration you need only 1 vote over 50% but recent court rulings say Presidents could VETO that. So you would need 2/3 majority votes in Congress. Face it that isn't happening!

Now the other side will try and fight it in court and MAYBE if Trump SIGNS something to reopen government while THAT works its way through the courts the shutdown ends.

The Right has to be terrified of the Emergency since the next Democrat could, with the stroke of a pen, institute Medicare For All or maybe Declare a Climate Change crisis.

The country just can't take the constant turmoil though.

Fun times ahead

Edited by user Friday, January 11, 2019 9:23:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jimmy81  
#294 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 6:14:43 AM(UTC)
Jimmy81

United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 19 post(s)
It is no guarantee that Trump will cave on the CR once the (likely) emergency declaration is made. I think the more likely scenario is he waits until the actual work starts on the "wall". If the IRS is issuing refunds then he won't face any pressure.
thanks 1 user thanked Jimmy81 for this useful post.
dmellow on 1/11/2019(UTC)
dmellow  
#295 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 8:47:46 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nonewsnotgood Go to Quoted Post

Impeachment will never happen. First remember the people that supported him they don't care what he does. When confronted with the facts they dismiss him. I can't understand why Trump feels he needs the wall. He once said he could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue and they would still support him. Now that's a stretch but essential his base sold their souls to this fool. The Senate Republicans will find ANY reason not to do impeach.

Now to OVERTURN an Emergency declaration you need only 1 vote over 50% but recent court rulings say Presidents could VETO that. So you would need 2/3 majority votes in Congress. Face it that isn't happening!

Now the other side will try and fight it in court and MAYBE if Trump SIGNS something to reopen government while THAT works its way through the courts the shutdown ends.

The Right has to terrified of the Emergency since the next Democrat could, with the stroke of a pen, institute Medicare For All or maybe Declare a Climate Change crisis.

The country just take the constant turmoil though.

Fun times ahead

I think we are an ideal distraction for Trump and the public. As things are starting to bubble up about his personal life and legal issues, he will keep us in turmoil. The fact that his ex-attorney agreed to testify publicly yesterday on February 7th is concerning. Will there be a state of emergency then foot dragging on signing to open up the government? Will we get called back, not get paid and still be on furlough? Will there be a continuing resolution until February 3rd that runs out and we are back on unpaid furlough? Perhaps kept at work because we are already there. As more government employees are furloughed, this becomes a bigger distraction. There are many ways to keep the focus on us.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#296 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 10:28:48 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Like I said, I am not questioning the merits of declaring an emergency (I personally think it would be a terrible way to deal with things), I am just saying that there is such an impasse that for us as unpaid, locked out employees, it may be the quickest route to get back on the job. My understanding is that doing the declaration literally winds up funding the Gov't and getting us back on the job.

Both sides in this disaster have a stench to them that is disturbing. 20 days now, and they are entrenched in frankly a sickening battle of egos. At this point I almost think the Presidents opposition in this wouldn't mind him doing a declaration all that much. Yes it would create another crisis legally, but selfishly it may be our best avenue to see a paycheck sooner.

That’s wishcasting. All a declaration would let him do is reprogram DoD construction funds to do construction. It wouldn’t manage to pay us. There’s no way to twist the Feed & Forage Act to cover non-military personnel.

LieutenantBlantyre  
#297 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 10:34:18 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Jimmy81 Go to Quoted Post
It is no guarantee that Trump will cave on the CR once the (likely) emergency declaration is made. I think the more likely scenario is he waits until the actual work starts on the "wall". If the IRS is issuing refunds then he won't face any pressure.

We still have yet to see how we’re doing that. It is increasingly seeming like we’re just going to slap a -Q on anything requiring human intervention and otherwise let it sit. TAS and the TACs apparently won’t be re-opening from the static POLITICO is reporting if appropriations aren’t restored. Only clean returns that survive the gauntlet which could get refunded without human intervention seem possible from what little we know.
chriswt25  
#298 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 11:24:53 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

That’s wishcasting. All a declaration would let him do is reprogram DoD construction funds to do construction. It wouldn’t manage to pay us. There’s no way to twist the Feed & Forage Act to cover non-military personnel.

Everything I am hearing says if the emergency is declared, it clears the way to open the gov't back up and we would come back with pay

At this point that is all I care about.

If that happens, it throws everything to the courts about the "wall" funding, and the President can declare "victory of sorts" These people are not even negotiating, so as I said, it may just be our best shot at getting back to earn a check. A pox on all these people I say, and I do mean ALL. None of them will stop playing politics under any circumstances.

USFSFed  
#299 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 11:57:00 AM(UTC)
USFSFed

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello all,

I'm not with the IRS but work for the Forest Service and like many of you, I am furloughed. As much as I hate to say it, declaring a National Emergency might be the best option in terms of getting us all back to work with pay. Just want to get back to work and start earning paychecks again. I don't care about anything else.

Just let the courts figure it all out. Then the POS POTUS can declare a political victory (as can Pelosi/Schumer).
nonewsnotgood  
#300 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 12:22:24 PM(UTC)
nonewsnotgood

United States

Originally Posted by: USFSFed Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,

I'm not with the IRS but work for the Forest Service and like many of you, I am furloughed. As much as I hate to say it, declaring a National Emergency might be the best option in terms of getting us all back to work with pay. Just want to get back to work and start earning paychecks again. I don't care about anything else.

Just let the courts figure it all out. Then the POS POTUS can declare a political victory (as can Pelosi/Schumer).

I understand your point of view. But if he does the "Emergency" route that would, I feel, get us back to work. But the problem is that this would basically say to Congress "you are irrelevant" since any President could invoke an emergency.

Isn't everything really an "emergency"? Think about before the ACA we had 50 million uninsured. If YOU (or someone close to you) was uninsured and/or sick facing financial ruin that's an emergency. And remember we had 50 million uninsured. So a more "Liberal President" could declare and emergency and set up Single Payer or Medicare-for-all. It would then once established be very hard to get rid of.

Then there's climate change. Sounds like another emergency!

Now a president could NOT pass an emergency and do something unconstitutional. I heard rightwing hate radio Mike Gallagher say a Democratic President could "take away all our guns". This would run up against the 2nd Amendment and fail. So would declaring and emergency and rounding up the Democrats or Hispanics and hearding them into camps.

But getting legislation passed and funded that would NOT violate the constition would be possible after Trump takes this step.

Can you imagine every 4 to 8 years having the political landscape transformed so such a degree? That kind of rapid change would be a disaster.

Change is fine. As long as change isn't ALWAYS happening.

Now to the wall. USA Today did a piece on it, here's a link to the piece https://www.youtube.com/...dNg&feature=youtu.be

You have a huge section that runs through a river. Do we build it on OUR side of the border keeping OUR people away from the river too. This is Texas remember, water is kind of important there. We can't build it on Mexico's side, unless they invade Mexico. Then there's steep canyons and mountains to deal with. So there are large parts of the wall's route that you REALLY can't build a wall on.

I am amazed more hasn't been said on this in the media!

Edited by user Friday, January 11, 2019 12:27:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed