Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GWPDA  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 1:24:32 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 481 time(s) in 401 post(s)
This just appeared in the NYTimes, in a story about the shutdown and how workers are managing:

"We have family members who will help. We can last about a year. We want this wall and are willing to fight for it, sacrifice for it.

— Sandra M., Department of Defense employee, Tacoma, Wash. Has a year’s worth of savings. "

Do you suppose Ms. M. misunderstood?
cyberfx1024  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 6:28:07 PM(UTC)
cyberfx1024

United States

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
This just appeared in the NYTimes, in a story about the shutdown and how workers are managing:

"We have family members who will help. We can last about a year. We want this wall and are willing to fight for it, sacrifice for it.

— Sandra M., Department of Defense employee, Tacoma, Wash. Has a year’s worth of savings. "

Do you suppose Ms. M. misunderstood?

Why does it matter? DOD is funded for the rest of the FY.
#3 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 1:32:39 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
DoD is funded. Who cares what this silly person has to say? She has an income coming in. If she wants to "fight" for the wall, she is welcome to pack her bag and head for the border. Otherwise, what she has to say is just noise.
CivSer67  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 3:55:36 AM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: somewhat a nerd Go to Quoted Post
DoD is funded. Who cares what this silly person has to say? She has an income coming in. If she wants to "fight" for the wall, she is welcome to pack her bag and head for the border. Otherwise, what she has to say is just noise.

She has a voice...let her have her say!
ex-military  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 5:05:36 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CivSer67 Go to Quoted Post

The point is: she isn't impacted by this at all. She is just running her mouth to hear herself talk. She should STFU and be happy this isn't hitting her family.
Retired RCA  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 5:32:50 AM(UTC)
Retired RCA

United States

I heard the Coast Guard doesn't have funding after February.
TheRealOrange  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 6:12:37 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 106 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Retired RCA Go to Quoted Post
I heard the Coast Guard doesn't have funding after February.

As part of the Department of Homeland Security, I do not believe the Coast Guard has been funded through February and is already included in the current shutdown. Both the House and Senate are considering bills to fund the Coast Guard, but I don't think anything has been passed yet.
GWPDA  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 6:55:33 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

The Coast Guard is part of Homeland Security and has been unfunded since about 30 December. They are of course working.
CivSer67  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 10:42:59 PM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Originally Posted by: ex-military Go to Quoted Post

The point is: she isn't impacted by this at all. She is just running her mouth to hear herself talk. She should STFU and be happy this isn't hitting her family.

and that is your opinion.. she can still state what is on her mind. I am not in this fight either, so is your intent that I do not have a say either?
ex-military  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 4:44:06 AM(UTC)
ex-military

and that is your opinion.. she can still state what is on her mind. I am not in this fight either, so is your intent that I do not have a say either?

If what you are going to say is that feds are all for this wall and are willing to go however long it takes without a paycheck, then, YES, you need to STFU too. If you want to say that you are for (or against) the wall or anything else in terms of generalities, then speak away.

Just don't try to speak for hundreds of thousands of people who are directly impacted by all this BS.
thanks 2 users thanked ex-military for this useful post.
Rikaku on 1/14/2019(UTC), frankgonzalez on 1/22/2019(UTC)
CivSer67  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 5:31:51 AM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

If what you are going to say is that feds are all for this wall and are willing to go however long it takes without a paycheck, then, YES, you need to STFU too. If you want to say that you are for (or against) the wall or anything else in terms of generalities, then speak away.

Just don't try to speak for hundreds of thousands of people who are directly impacted by all this BS.

"Just don't try to speak for hundreds of thousands of people who are directly impacted by all this BS"... exactly...you try doing the same! Whether or not I get a paycheck I can voice my opinion on this along with anyone else. You don't like it? Get off the board and get to your Safe Space snowflake!

GWPDA  
#12 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 6:12:33 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

"Whether or not I get a paycheck I can voice my opinion on this along with anyone else. You don't like it? Get off the board and get to your Safe Space snowflake!"

Perhaps you'd like to take your fight out of the DOD forum?
CivSer67  
#13 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 10:50:16 PM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

I don't have a fight!
Endless Summer  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2019 2:44:36 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 143 post(s)

Uhmm, isn't that what you are doing? You are presenting yourself as the voice of 800,000 fed employees. Don't you think there is at least a slim chance that some of them might have a different perspective?

How dare we hold a position that is not marching in lockstep with yours.
ex-military  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 4:32:00 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post

Uhmm, isn't that what you are doing? You are presenting yourself as the voice of 800,000 fed employees. Don't you think there is at least a slim chance that some of them might have a different perspective?

How dare we hold a position that is not marching in lockstep with yours.

Not at all. It is really easy to say "we are willing to sacrifice" when you DON'T have to sacrifice anything. DOD has its budget. DOD workers haven't missed a paycheck. DOD workers aren't facing the prospect of missing more paychecks. DOD workers don't have to work and worry about getting a second job or selling their possessions (as some in power have suggested).

There are those who are all for the wall. That is absolutely their prerogative. Just don't dare try to make it sound like you are making some big sacrifice when its business as usual for your agencies.
thanks 1 user thanked ex-military for this useful post.
frankgonzalez on 1/22/2019(UTC)
averagejohn  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 6:13:20 AM(UTC)
averagejohn

I keep seeing news that states " New Poll: Nearly Three-Quarters of Federal Workers Oppose Shutdown, Majority Oppose Wall", but I haven't seen any polls. Have you? Who are they polling? Not saying I oppose the wall or don't, just saying nobody asked me my thoughts so am just wondering who they are polling. Makes it look like they polled everyone and this is a general consensus, but nobody I know has received an inquiry.
ex-military  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 8:51:26 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Originally Posted by: averagejohn Go to Quoted Post
I keep seeing news that states " New Poll: Nearly Three-Quarters of Federal Workers Oppose Shutdown, Majority Oppose Wall", but I haven't seen any polls. Have you? Who are they polling? Not saying I oppose the wall or don't, just saying nobody asked me my thoughts so am just wondering who they are polling. Makes it look like they polled everyone and this is a general consensus, but nobody I know has received an inquiry.

I have seen interactive polls on GovExec and few other govt employee sites. No poll ever takes a 100% poll. They take a sample and then project over the entire population. Same way they can project election results with only 1% reporting.
DaVinci95  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 1:04:30 PM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 64 post(s)

There are 2 million Federal employees. The typical poll sample size is about 1000 people. The odds of you or anyone you work with being contacted are pretty small.
Endless Summer  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 1:51:14 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 143 post(s)

Have you forgotten? These are the same geniuses that said there was an 8% of Trump winning the election!

Which reminds me, I should jump over to YouTube and watch the election night coverage again. It always brings a smile to my face. I can highly recommend "the Young Turks" train wreck...

That's comedy gold.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed