Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

39 Pages«<1415161718>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chriswt25  
#301 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 1:28:40 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: USFSFed Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,

I'm not with the IRS but work for the Forest Service and like many of you, I am furloughed. As much as I hate to say it, declaring a National Emergency might be the best option in terms of getting us all back to work with pay. Just want to get back to work and start earning paychecks again. I don't care about anything else.

Just let the courts figure it all out. Then the POS POTUS can declare a political victory (as can Pelosi/Schumer).

I totally agree. It should never have to come to that, but it looks like this may be the only way we can get back to getting paid anytime soon. It is a disgrace that 20 days in and both sides are not meeting and working every day to find a resolution.

Edited by user Friday, January 11, 2019 1:32:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RodoHinote  
#302 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 2:57:39 PM(UTC)
RodoHinote

Man
United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Why would they hurry to a solution? Last thing I heard about them was that they were still getting paid, while we are either working without pay, or furloughed! If their paychecks were being affected, then maybe this would have been of some big importance to them.......sorry guys. I'm just anxious for this to end, so that I can get back to work, get paid, and get on with my life.

Edited by user Friday, January 11, 2019 2:58:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"Never judge someone's character based on the words of another. Focus on the one casting judgment." - Suzy Kassel
chriswt25  
#303 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 3:16:53 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Originally Posted by: RodoHinote Go to Quoted Post
Why would they hurry to a solution? Last thing I heard about them was that they were still getting paid, while we are either working without pay, or furloughed! If their paychecks were being affected, then maybe this would have been of some big importance to them.......sorry guys. I'm just anxious for this to end, so that I can get back to work, get paid, and get on with my life.

As of the other day, the list was relatively short of the politicians who publicly said they would not accept their salary while people are furloughed.

Of all the main players in the so-called negotiations, VP Pence is the only one not accepting his pay. Hopefully that list will increase.
RodoHinote  
#304 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 3:35:07 PM(UTC)
RodoHinote

Man
United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
LOL! I doubt that any of them would rather put a stop to their paychecks while this goes on. I can respect the VP for stepping out on that ledge though. That took some guts to do.

My wife is upset, and for good reason. She has an issue with identity theft, and was supposed to have been issued her annual IP Pin. The issue with this is not only is the information unavailable, but we moved out of state last year, and she's afraid that when things start to get rolling again, her pin will be shipped to our old address. Thats another headache altogether.
"Never judge someone's character based on the words of another. Focus on the one casting judgment." - Suzy Kassel
chriswt25  
#305 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 3:43:08 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

LOL! I doubt that any of them would rather put a stop to their paychecks while this goes on. I can respect the VP for stepping out on that ledge though. That took some guts to do.

My wife is upset, and for good reason. She has an issue with identity theft, and was supposed to have been issued her annual IP Pin. The issue with this is not only is the information unavailable, but we moved out of state last year, and she's afraid that when things start to get rolling again, her pin will be shipped to our old address. Thats another headache altogether.

I am sure you will be in TPP hell once you file

Massgone2015  
#306 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 3:57:57 PM(UTC)
Massgone2015

United States

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Check your email for one from NTEU.
thanks 2 users thanked Massgone2015 for this useful post.
Hired 2015 on 1/11/2019(UTC), LieutenantBlantyre on 1/11/2019(UTC)
Jimmy81  
#307 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 4:26:10 PM(UTC)
Jimmy81

United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Told you so. Why would Trump give up his leverage?
Quote:

White House officials are warning congressional Republicans not to expect an immediate end to the government shutdown even if President Donald Trump declares a national emergency at the southern border.

The warning came during Trump’s Thursday visit to the southern U.S. border, according to three sources with knowledge of those conversations.

https://www.politico.com...ing-the-shutdown-1098628
Jimmy81  
#308 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 4:37:27 PM(UTC)
Jimmy81

United States

The sliver of good news is that a bill to eventually pay furloughed Feds during this and future shutdowns passed Congress with a veto-proof majority. Trump said he would sign it.
I hope a future bill awards a bonus to essential Feds that work during the shutdown.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#309 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 4:47:36 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Massgone2015 Go to Quoted Post
Check your email for one from NTEU.

Who at the departmental offices is blocking this? It seems like lawyers somewhere are arguing in circles. I’m curious how crazy the plan looks.
Icehcky13  
#310 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 4:58:22 PM(UTC)
Icehcky13

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Looks like back to work for free after the plan gets approved which should be this weekend.. guess we return Monday ??
oldindigo  
#311 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 5:00:01 PM(UTC)
oldindigo

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Let's continue to assist each other and provide complete information, instead of simple cryptic comments.

So what did the email say? Cut and paste perhaps? Details!
govguy  
#312 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 5:18:40 PM(UTC)
govguy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
NTEU was briefed today by IRS officials on the status of a new Filing Season Shutdown plan. The plan is still awaiting final approval by the Treasury Department and will be available after that happens. That approval could come at any time, including this weekend, and is likely to drastically expand the numbers of IRS employees who will be called back to work without pay.

According to the IRS, roughly 50 percent of the workforce is required to fulfill the directive that tax refunds be paid. While exact numbers are not yet available, approximately 45,000 employees will be at work, a majority of those are expected to be bargaining unit members.

The IRS committed to not calling employees until the plan is fully approved to avoid a repeat of what happened last weekend when employees were called to report and then called again and told to stay home.

Officials from W&I indicated that once the Filing Season plan is approved, it will begin calling back employees, permanent and seasonal, who were on board when the shutdown and furlough began (on December 22, 2018) in the following functions:

• Accounts Management (AM) – CSRs on phones who assist taxpayers with filing returns;
• Submission Processing (SP) – employees who open the mail and process checks (remittance processing).

Seasonal employees who perform these functions but who were in non-work status on December 22 will be recalled next.
Massgone2015  
#313 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 5:31:30 PM(UTC)
Massgone2015

United States

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: oldindigo Go to Quoted Post
Let's continue to assist each other and provide complete information, instead of simple cryptic comments.

So what did the email say? Cut and paste perhaps? Details!

Originally Posted by: govguy Go to Quoted Post
NTEU was briefed today by IRS officials on the status of a new Filing Season Shutdown plan. The plan is still awaiting final approval by the Treasury Department and will be available after that happens. That approval could come at any time, including this weekend, and is likely to drastically expand the numbers of IRS employees who will be called back to work without pay.

According to the IRS, roughly 50 percent of the workforce is required to fulfill the directive that tax refunds be paid. While exact numbers are not yet available, approximately 45,000 employees will be at work, a majority of those are expected to be bargaining unit members.

The IRS committed to not calling employees until the plan is fully approved to avoid a repeat of what happened last weekend when employees were called to report and then called again and told to stay home.

Officials from W&I indicated that once the Filing Season plan is approved, it will begin calling back employees, permanent and seasonal, who were on board when the shutdown and furlough began (on December 22, 2018) in the following functions:

• Accounts Management (AM) – CSRs on phones who assist taxpayers with filing returns;
• Submission Processing (SP) – employees who open the mail and process checks (remittance processing).

Seasonal employees who perform these functions but who were in non-work status on December 22 will be recalled next.

Sorry, I believed everyone received these emails. Here's the rest of it.

SBSE will begin calling back all ACS employees to return to work; and there will be additional Information Technology employees called to work.

Both W & I and SBSE will utilize the existing “call tree” process to contact employees. No decision has been made at this time on whether the 2019 Filing Season plan will include calling back Field Assistance Taxpayer Assistance (TACs) employees.
NTEU has filed two lawsuits concerning the shutdown. One challenges employees working without pay as a violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act. The second argues that the Antideficiency Act violates the Appropriations Clause of the U.S. Constitution, which does not allow the government to obligate funds that have not been appropriated by Congress. In having employees work, with a promise to pay them later, the government is incurring liabilities before it has the funds to make good on that IOU.

thanks 1 user thanked Massgone2015 for this useful post.
LieutenantBlantyre on 1/11/2019(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre  
#314 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 5:45:03 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Icehcky13 Go to Quoted Post
Looks like back to work for free after the plan gets approved which should be this weekend.. guess we return Monday ??

Not necessarily. The last word from anyone in my group is nothing has filtered down the call tree yet.
Jimmy81  
#315 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 7:25:18 PM(UTC)
Jimmy81

United States

I can't believe the NTEU is on board with this "plan". So Exam remains furloughed and anyone with access to a computer can file for refundable tax credits (which will never be recovered). Meanwhile IRS employees have no idea when they will see a paycheck. What is the point of having a union if they don't do anything? Anyone can file a lawsuit.
thanks 1 user thanked Jimmy81 for this useful post.
LieutenantBlantyre on 1/11/2019(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre  
#316 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 8:31:08 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Jimmy81 Go to Quoted Post
I can't believe the NTEU is on board with this "plan". So Exam remains furloughed and anyone with access to a computer can file for refundable tax credits (which will never be recovered). Meanwhile IRS employees have no idea when they will see a paycheck. What is the point of having a union if they don't do anything? Anyone can file a lawsuit.

Somebody in the departmental offices nuked the first one. I’m skeptical this will actually launch. Yes, this whole Concept of Operations is horrid. Hopefully we don’t wind up with a mutiny like TSA seems to be bordering on.
No Place Like Home  
#317 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 9:10:58 PM(UTC)
No Place Like Home

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 7 post(s)

Did you file 8822 address change when you moved? Did you update your address with local post office when you moved? If so then your wife will get the IP Pin mailed to new address. She can also retrieve it from the website once the system comes back up. Or mail in paper return and be prepared to wait a couple weeks longer for a refund if you are due one.
long strange trip  
#318 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 9:53:51 PM(UTC)
long strange trip

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Heard a story about a lady going through the TSA checkpoint at an airport. When she asked if she should open up her laptop case for inspection, she was told 'I don't care, I'm not getting paid.' I've been a CSR for 7 years, mostly PPS now, I love my job and know what I'm doing. (mostly) I can not afford to work without pay for very long. I am pretty sure that it must be illegal to compel people to work for free at the point of a gun. At some point people will leave the federal service, because they have been forced to, and go elsewhere. Like what's happening with TSA. Where the hell is the union? Will no one in congress publicly question this systematic dismantling of government since day one?
sorry, got a little carried away. but I pity the poor fool who calls me looking for their EITC refund with an attitude who tells me that I work for them. should be a great filing season
ashulein  
#319 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 12:56:49 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)

I am not reading the NTEU e-mail as it was posted as them being "on board with this "plan."" I am reading it as being purely informational because if they were indeed "on board" they would not have filed the two lawsuits that they did. If you read the Complaint for Declaratory and Injunctive Relief (Case 1:19-cv-00050, Filed 1/9/19) that is available on the NTEU website it basically argues (assuming that I am reading it correctly) that the use of the Antideficiency Act to compel employees to work in a non-paid status, without an obligated appropriation, when the need is not directly "in connection with an imminent threat to human life or property" is clearly overly broad and "unconstitutional." If this lawsuit is successful and the court sides with the NTEU it is obvious that the government will not be permitted to compel a vast swath of the workforce back from furlough without legislatively appropriated funds. Regardless of the fact that it is political plutonium I would be hard pressed believe that the potential delays processing tax returns and/or subsequent refunds constitutes an imminent threat to human life or property. I maintain... this certainly is not the action of an organization that is acquiescing to what is going on. In my opinion, of course.
Jimmy81  
#320 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 5:23:21 AM(UTC)
Jimmy81

United States

Originally Posted by: ashulein Go to Quoted Post

I am not reading the NTEU e-mail as it was posted as them being "on board with this "plan."" I am reading it as being purely informational because if they were indeed "on board" they would not have filed the two lawsuits that they did. If you read the Complaint for Declaratory and Injunctive Relief (Case 1:19-cv-00050, Filed 1/9/19) that is available on the NTEU website it basically argues (assuming that I am reading it correctly) that the use of the Antideficiency Act to compel employees to work in a non-paid status, without an obligated appropriation, when the need is not directly "in connection with an imminent threat to human life or property" is clearly overly broad and "unconstitutional." If this lawsuit is successful and the court sides with the NTEU it is obvious that the government will not be permitted to compel a vast swath of the workforce back from furlough without legislatively appropriated funds. Regardless of the fact that it is political plutonium I would be hard pressed believe that the potential delays processing tax returns and/or subsequent refunds constitutes an imminent threat to human life or property. I maintain... this certainly is not the action of an organization that is acquiescing to what is going on. In my opinion, of course.

It will be months before those lawsuits go anywhere. Judges will figure everyone will be paid anyway so no reason to do anything quick. If the union really believes requiring employees to show up and process refunds for free is illegal then they should tell them not to do it. Let Joe EITC filer raise hell. The IRS will be funded quicker than those refunds are spent. At the very least NTEU should tell employees that if they can't afford to work for free then there will be no negative actions taken against them.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed