Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
J913  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 1:34:34 PM(UTC)
J913

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)
My SF-50 for my new appointment says I am subject to a two-year probationary period. I am transferring from one DOD agency to another. I already Completed a probationary period with the last agency. I’m still in the competitive service, the only difference is I’ve been promoted to a non-supervisory GS-13 from GS 12. Can they make me serve another 2 year probation? When I called my staffing point of contact, they said everyone had to and When I try to explain my situation to her she just cut me off.
GWPDA  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 2:45:11 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 478 time(s) in 398 post(s)
"General Conversations" is talking about just this topic - "When looking into probationary periods it is important to not only look at § 315.802, but to also look at § 315.801. .801 tells when a probationary period is required; .802 discusses crediting prior service towards completion of a probationary period.

Long story short - If it's a transfer (selection from a Merit Promotion recruitment) then you DO NOT need to complete another probationary period if you previously completed one.

If you were selected from an external recruitment (DEU) then a probationary period is required per .801; you would then go to .802 to see if your prior service is creditable towards completion of the probation.

Further details can be found in the General Conversations section.
thanks 3 users thanked GWPDA for this useful post.
SD Analyst on 1/11/2019(UTC), J913 on 1/11/2019(UTC), someoldguy on 1/11/2019(UTC)
someoldguy  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 6:43:35 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 902 time(s) in 756 post(s)
I wonder if there are other considerations if we are talking about DCIPS
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
CivSer67  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 10:39:22 PM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: J913 Go to Quoted Post
My SF-50 for my new appointment says I am subject to a two-year probationary period. I am transferring from one DOD agency to another. I already Completed a probationary period with the last agency. I’m still in the competitive service, the only difference is I’ve been promoted to a non-supervisory GS-13 from GS 12. Can they make me serve another 2 year probation? When I called my staffing point of contact, they said everyone had to and When I try to explain my situation to her she just cut me off.

No not everyone is required, what is required by HR is that the tag be applied to the job offer, however, the gaining supervisory can waive it. I have done this several times with members transferring from within DOD. I have reviewed their records and once on board, the Supervisor can contact HR to remove the tag, HR will advise against it, but it is not their call.
J913  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 9:50:53 AM(UTC)
J913

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)
HR just told me I was hired under Direct Hire Authority. I’m not sure what rules apply.
birdonamission  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 11:09:27 AM(UTC)
birdonamission

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Originally Posted by: J913 Go to Quoted Post
HR just told me I was hired under Direct Hire Authority. I’m not sure what rules apply.

Are appointments under Direct-Hire Authority subject to a 1-year probationary period?

Yes. Using Direct-Hire Authority (DHA), the individual is "appointed to the competitive service ... by special appointing authority ... [and] serves a 1-year probationary period unless specifically exempt from probation by the authority itself." [See 5 CFR 315.801(e)]. The DHA regulations do not address probation. Therefore, consistent with 5 U.S.C. 3321(a) a 1-year probation period applies, unless the person has prior Federal service that counts toward completion of probation. [See 5 CFR 315.802.]

Source: https://www.opm.gov/poli...uthority/#url=Fact-Sheet

frankgonzalez  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2019 12:34:06 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 944 time(s) in 749 post(s)
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
I wonder if there are other considerations if we are talking about DCIPS
DCIPS is excepted service...so if you have not completed a probationary period in DCIPS, you would have to do a new one. And GS competitive service would not apply UNLESS you were converted to DCIPS while in the same position. (went through this and all the scenarios while I was in the military and my base converted to DCIPS for the civilians).
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
BrianDez  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2019 1:33:35 PM(UTC)
BrianDez

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My understanding of the basics: If you stay within an Agency your probationary period has been completed. If you change from one Agency to another then it's highly likely you will do a probationary period again.
I.E.> US Army to US Army...no prob period. US Army to DoD Agency (4th Estate?) prob period. so on, and so on.

CivSer67  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2019 10:35:44 PM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Again, it is not the call of HR, discuss this with your new Supervisor, they are the one to make the decision and can remove the tag at any time.
Linds  
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2019 5:33:47 AM(UTC)
Linds

United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BrianDez Go to Quoted Post
My understanding of the basics: If you stay within an Agency your probationary period has been completed. If you change from one Agency to another then it's highly likely you will do a probationary period again.
I.E.> US Army to US Army...no prob period. US Army to DoD Agency (4th Estate?) prob period. so on, and so on.

Not always. I moved from DOJ to DoD & I didn’t have to complete a new probation period. The job listing didn’t state I had to (I always check those things) either. Now there was some confusion because some people thought I had to, but then when I got my SF-50 it stated probationary period complete.

thanks 1 user thanked Linds for this useful post.
BrianDez on 2/17/2019(UTC)
cyberfx1024  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2019 6:32:51 PM(UTC)
cyberfx1024

United States

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Linds Go to Quoted Post

Not always. I moved from DOJ to DoD & I didn’t have to complete a new probation period. The job listing didn’t state I had to (I always check those things) either. Now there was some confusion because some people thought I had to, but then when I got my SF-50 it stated probationary period complete.

You got lucky then because I moved from the DOI(0856) to the DOD(2210) and I had to go in to a 2 year probation period even though I had 5 years with the DOI already. Once I got promoted after 6 months with the DOD my probationary period went down to 1 year.
Linds  
#12 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2019 4:12:11 AM(UTC)
Linds

United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cyberfx1024 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Linds Go to Quoted Post

You got lucky then because I moved from the DOI(0856) to the DOD(2210) and I had to go in to a 2 year probation period even though I had 5 years with the DOI already. Once I got promoted after 6 months with the DOD my probationary period went down to 1 year.

The job announcement didn’t specify that there was a probation. If it had I probably would’ve not taken the job Especially if it’s for 2yrs. I get that there are 90 day probations (that happened to an old coworker when she move from Treasury to Justice) & I’m perfectly fine with that....but 2yr? No. Been there, done that. My SF-50 stated I was a transfer & then in the notes section at the bottom it said probation period complete. .

Edited by user Monday, February 18, 2019 6:54:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed