Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

26 Pages«<242526
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FERPY  
#501 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 6:29:30 AM(UTC)
FERPY

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello,

I'm new here I was just offered a start date for San Francisco but with having to give 30 days notice for my current lease and notice at my current job the start date is very tight and would strain my resources. They stated the reason for the start date was to start training right away so I would be ready for the distance training later. I requested a later start date last week and I havent heard back yet. Does anyone one know how often these trainings occur and if they would rescind the offer based on not being able to start on the requested start date? Any advice on moving to and affordable city with reasonable commute times would also be appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited by user Sunday, November 11, 2018 6:30:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

majun  
#502 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 9:05:24 AM(UTC)
majun

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FERPY Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I'm new here I was just offered a start date for San Francisco but with having to give 30 days notice for my current lease and notice at my current job the start date is very tight and would strain my resources. They stated the reason for the start date was to start training right away so I would be ready for the distance training later. I requested a later start date last week and I havent heard back yet. Does anyone one know how often these trainings occur and if they would rescind the offer based on not being able to start on the requested start date? Any advice on moving to and affordable city with reasonable commute times would also be appreciated.

Thank you!

There are trainings every quarter. A training consists of three separate classes. First there is a three week distance training that provides all new officers an opportunity to read all the training materials. There are lesson plan modules that cover topics for both Asylum Officers and Refugee Officers and lesson plan modules that are specific to you job as an asylum officer or refugee officer. You will be given time to read all the materials that pertain to your job as an asylum officer. In addition to providing official time for reading there will be some webinars, observation of interviews, self test quizzes and some written exercises that will provide some feedback so that you can see how well you are absorbing the materials. Next comes a three week residential combined training for asylum and refugee officers where you will be given practical exercises that will allow you to apply what you have learned in your reading to real world problems and you will be given two graded tests that you have to pass with a cumulative score of 70% or better to continue on to the third class which, for asylum officers, is an additional three week residential course that is asylum specific, where you will be conducting several mock interviews and writing decisions based on your interviews. The final mock interview and written decision will be graded and will be 50% of your grade. You will also have written tests and will have to score a combined score of 70% or better to keep your job. Washing out of training is rare, but it does happen. Usually not more than one or two students in a class, and even then, not every class.

There are two training classes finishing up the asylum specific training this week. The next training class[es] will begin the residential portions of the training in early February, which means that people will have to EOD by January 1st in order to have time to finish up the distance training in time for the residential training. If you can't EOD by January, the next residential classes will be sometime in late April or early May, so you would have to be on board by the end of March to make those classes. After that there will be a summer training that would have you in coastal Georgia in July, which you would want to avoid if at all possible. And then you are back to October/November training next year.

You will probably find that your office will be as accommodating as possible in terms of your EOD, but they will want to get you on board as close to an upcoming residential training as possible. The sooner they get you through training, the sooner they get a productive officer.
thanks 3 users thanked majun for this useful post.
FERPY on 11/11/2018(UTC), JDSIII on 11/12/2018(UTC), DealAjani on 11/18/2018(UTC)
RMParent  
#503 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 6:51:28 AM(UTC)
RMParent

United States

Does anyone know when the next openings for asylum officer or asylum officer (recent graduate) will be posted? or how often they do? Thanks!
DealAjani  
#504 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 4:02:59 AM(UTC)
DealAjani

United States

Has anyone else gotten a referral notice for CIS-DHA-10339654-ASY? I got mine last Friday (for Miami) and was curious if anyone else had heard from their local office.
tol5530619  
#505 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2018 12:41:14 PM(UTC)
tol5530619

United States

Originally Posted by: FERPY Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Thank you!

I was offered a position in SF as well in Aug, and I'm just wondering how long did it take you to get the EOD? I just met with an investigator earlier this month and I just wanna see how long is the wait.
nelcom17  
#506 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2018 4:32:32 PM(UTC)
nelcom17

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DealAjani Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone else gotten a referral notice for CIS-DHA-10339654-ASY? I got mine last Friday (for Miami) and was curious if anyone else had heard from their local office.

I was also referred last Friday, November 9, 2018, for a different office. It seems that the referral covered all offices indicated in the Announcement.

I have the Writing Exercise next week. I'm kind of puzzled that I'm getting the Writing Exercise before the Interview. I have read several testimonies about the Asylum Officer Interview process that appear on different sites, and they have all have had the Interview before the Writing Exercise. I wonder why my process is different. Maybe it's just my local office that works that way?

I wonder if anyone has had this same situation: Writing Exercise before the Interview?

Nick

DealAjani  
#507 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2018 8:17:44 PM(UTC)
DealAjani

United States

Originally Posted by: nelcom17 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: DealAjani Go to Quoted Post

I was also referred last Friday, November 9, 2018, for a different office. It seems that the referral covered all offices indicated in the Announcement.

I have the Writing Exercise next week. I'm kind of puzzled that I'm getting the Writing Exercise before the Interview. I have read several testimonies about the Asylum Officer Interview process that appear on different sites, and they have all have had the Interview before the Writing Exercise. I wonder why my process is different. Maybe it's just my local office that works that way?

I wonder if anyone has had this same situation: Writing Exercise before the Interview?

Nick

I haven't heard anything about a writing assignment… Maybe that doesn't bode well for me?

dukkookim  
#508 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2018 10:24:55 AM(UTC)
dukkookim

United States

Can anyone offer me some encouragement? I had an interview on 11/19 and was told that they were looking to make a decision quickly; I believe they said even before the Thanksgiving holiday. I have not heard anything yet, though references did tell me they were called. I noticed that the position has been posted again but with fewer vacancies than before (only 1 now instead of I think 5 or 6 before). With the position posted again, does this mean that other people have been selected? Any indications of how long between an interview and a possible TO if they are moving relatively quickly? Thank you!
oujosh29  
#509 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2018 10:46:45 AM(UTC)
oujosh29

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dukkookim Go to Quoted Post
Can anyone offer me some encouragement? I had an interview on 11/19 and was told that they were looking to make a decision quickly; I believe they said even before the Thanksgiving holiday. I have not heard anything yet, though references did tell me they were called. I noticed that the position has been posted again but with fewer vacancies than before (only 1 now instead of I think 5 or 6 before). With the position posted again, does this mean that other people have been selected? Any indications of how long between an interview and a possible TO if they are moving relatively quickly? Thank you!

Good news is USCIS is really slow on hiring. You not hearing anything back yet isnt anything to be concerned about even if they told you they were trying to be quick. With the federal government "try" is the key word.

It also doesnt mean anything they opened up for more positions. They're trying to bring on more asylum officers so that announcement was coming out either way. If you had an interview and your references were called those are good signs. Just give it some time.
majun  
#510 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2018 4:48:09 PM(UTC)
majun

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 36 post(s)
The Asylum Division is pleased to announce we are recruiting for GS-9/11/12 Asylum Officers at various locations throughout the United States including:

Anaheim, California
Arlington, VA
Bethpage, NY
Boston, MA
Chicago, IL
Houston, TX
Lyndhurst, NJ
Miami, FL
New Orleans, LA
San Francisco, CA

The Public Job Notice opened Monday, November 26th and will close on Friday, November 30th. Please access the PJN announcement using this link: https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/517746300
nelcom17  
#511 Posted : Saturday, December 08, 2018 10:02:39 AM(UTC)
nelcom17

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Has anyone received an EOD for the Nationwide Asylum Officer positions that closed 10/31/2018?

I've been interviewed.

Nick
whatsup7  
#512 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 8:09:30 PM(UTC)
whatsup7

United States

EOD? No. Received a TO last Thursday.
Best of luck.
dukkookim  
#513 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 4:25:42 AM(UTC)
dukkookim

United States

A slew of questions below, would love any input at all:

I know every case is different, but how long would be average to wait from submitting e-qip documents to the EOD for an asylum officer position? Is there an interim status given first? Is there any way to check where someone is in the process? Does the government shutdown affect this process? Thanks all!
felixdzerzhinsky  
#514 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 8:20:18 PM(UTC)
felixdzerzhinsky

United States

I've gotten interim clearance and been asked about EOD for Arlington, I was offered late January or early February. I confirmed, but I haven't heard anything else. Should I wait until I get some kind of confirmation before I go apartment hunting, or is accepting an offered date close enough to a sure thing?

I got the email the last week of December, so I think things are still moving along during the shutdown.
someoldguy  
#515 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 2:13:41 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 832 time(s) in 690 post(s)
Feliks Dzershinsky? And you want to work for DHS? Bozhe!
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Mrsmaylv  
#516 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 2:24:49 PM(UTC)
Mrsmaylv

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: felixdzerzhinsky Go to Quoted Post
I've gotten interim clearance and been asked about EOD for Arlington, I was offered late January or early February. I confirmed, but I haven't heard anything else. Should I wait until I get some kind of confirmation before I go apartment hunting, or is accepting an offered date close enough to a sure thing?

I got the email the last week of December, so I think things are still moving along during the shutdown.

Typically once you accept your TO, you wont hear too much unless they have questions. You'll get information closer to your EOD. USCIS is not affected by the shutdown because they are self funded. I would start looking for a place during this time so youre prepared.
feddreamer  
#517 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 9:13:07 AM(UTC)
feddreamer

Have you heard anything yet? Last week, I was asked to pick from two EOD dates for Arlington asylum office as well for either late January or early February. I still haven't put in my two weeks, but I've begun my apartment search. I just do not want to put down a deposit for an apartment or my two weeks in because I still haven't received my reporting instructions.
Mrsmaylv  
#518 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 4:44:27 PM(UTC)
Mrsmaylv

United States

Originally Posted by: feddreamer Go to Quoted Post

Have you heard anything yet? Last week, I was asked to pick from two EOD dates for Arlington asylum office as well for either late January or early February. I still haven't put in my two weeks, but I've begun my apartment search. I just do not want to put down a deposit for an apartment or my two weeks in because I still haven't received my reporting instructions.

Are you a current USCIS employee? I also was given two EOD dates, however I am currently not available until a month later. I notified them of this and have heard nothing, however I know they already contacted my current office and advised them of the job offer. They are working with HR to coordinate my EOD date to fit my situation. When I accepted my first offer with USCIS, after I gave them my requested EOD date from the choices I was given, I heard nothing until a week or so prior to the date with the reporting instructions. Do not feel shy about contacting your person who extended the offer. Ask them if they can confirm your EOD date so you are able to finalize your plans. They wont get upset.
feddreamer  
#519 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2019 6:18:31 AM(UTC)
feddreamer

Originally Posted by: Mrsmaylv Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: feddreamer Go to Quoted Post

Are you a current USCIS employee? I also was given two EOD dates, however I am currently not available until a month later. I notified them of this and have heard nothing, however I know they already contacted my current office and advised them of the job offer. They are working with HR to coordinate my EOD date to fit my situation. When I accepted my first offer with USCIS, after I gave them my requested EOD date from the choices I was given, I heard nothing until a week or so prior to the date with the reporting instructions. Do not feel shy about contacting your person who extended the offer. Ask them if they can confirm your EOD date so you are able to finalize your plans. They wont get upset.

Nope, I'm going from private sector into government. Thank you for the encouragement; I did just that! My HR contact responded and told me that the office agreed to my EOD date and that they would be reaching out next week with the agreements and after I returned those to them they'd be sending me my reporting instructions. I will continue my apartment hunt and finally type up my resignation letter. I didn't want to bother them but I guess they understand that people need to know so that they can start to make plans for the move. I'm moving from Miami to Arlington so it's not far but it's a very different environment. Thank you again for the advice!
Mrsmaylv  
#520 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 10:12:42 AM(UTC)
Mrsmaylv

United States

No problem! The waiting and silence can be stressful! Good luck!!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed