Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

84 Pages«<1718192021>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scottyd27  
#361 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2018 9:49:35 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 132 post(s)
They are doin by POD and alphabetically.

And they haven’t interviewed externals yet.

Just spoke to someone on the selection committee 15 minutes ago
thanks 2 users thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
USMC03 on 12/21/2018(UTC), PositiveVibez on 12/21/2018(UTC)
JacqueRae  
#362 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2018 8:35:31 PM(UTC)
JacqueRae

United States

I applied as a GS7, and received a Category A, Superior Qualification.
Can anyone tell me what I can expect from here?
I work in the Brookhaven Service Center, NY now. I'm a Grade 7, but will be an 8 shortly.
I'm curious as to what the training will be like. I have 3 small kids, and I've heard that we may get sent to other states for training.
Any info anyone can provide is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
LieutenantBlantyre  
#363 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2018 9:06:32 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JacqueRae Go to Quoted Post
I work in the Brookhaven Service Center, NY now. I'm a Grade 7, but will be an 8 shortly.
I'm curious as to what the training will be like. I have 3 small kids, and I've heard that we may get sent to other states for training.

Right now everything is halted as to any training. We're in shutdown status as of about 8 minutes ago. Until Congress and the President finish figuring this out, most of us will be staying home. This includes major portions of HCO as well. Nobody that is an external hire will be able to finish onboarding at the moment and anybody who just finished coming aboard is stuck as we can't legally conduct any training at the moment either.

If everything gets fixed Saturday then there are no worries. People in the Senate sure are hopeful. Then again, they've been hopeful all week. Enjoy Christmas and keep checking the Emergency Hotline Tuesday night into Wednesday if you don't hear any good word on the news.

Edited by user Friday, December 21, 2018 9:07:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: DYAC

thanks 1 user thanked LieutenantBlantyre for this useful post.
JacqueRae on 12/21/2018(UTC)
scottyd27  
#364 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2018 9:19:47 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post

Right now everything is halted as to any training. We're in shutdown status as of about 8 minutes ago. Until Congress and the President finish figuring this out, most of us will be staying home. This includes major portions of HCO as well. Nobody that is an external hire will be able to finish onboarding at the moment and anybody who just finished coming aboard is stuck as we can't legally conduct any training at the moment either.

If everything gets fixed Saturday then there are no worries. People in the Senate sure are hopeful. Then again, they've been hopeful all week. Enjoy Christmas and keep checking the Emergency Hotline Tuesday night into Wednesday if you don't hear any good word on the news.

Nothing is going to happen until Wednesday.

JacqueRae  
#365 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2018 9:20:03 PM(UTC)
JacqueRae

United States

Thank you for the info.
Yeah, I have a relative in training for a CSR position in W&I Accounts Management (which is where I am now)
She had to take her 2 hours admin time tonight because they weren't sure we'd be back from shutdown before the end of December.

I'm wondering how the training works. Is it something you do locally, or do you have to travel?
My friend said his cousin was sent to Texas for a month or something like that.

I know start wise, it can be a *we have no idea when it will start* because of the shutdown. I'm not really concerned about *when*, more concerned about the *how* involved.

What does the training entail?

Do they provide travel reimbursement? Etc.?

Assuming I even get the position.
I applied both internally and externally. I think the external position is the one I received the Cat A/Superior Qualified rating on. My internal one still just says reviewed.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#366 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2018 9:23:52 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 151 post(s)

Thank you for the info.
Yeah, I have a relative in training for a CSR position in W&I Accounts Management (which is where I am now)
She had to take her 2 hours admin time tonight because they weren't sure we'd be back from shutdown before the end of December.

I'm wondering how the training works. Is it something you do locally, or do you have to travel?
My friend said his cousin was sent to Texas for a month or something like that.

I know start wise, it can be a *we have no idea when it will start* because of the shutdown. I'm not really concerned about *when*, more concerned about the *how* involved.

What does the training entail?

Do they provide travel reimbursement? Etc.?

Assuming I even get the position.
I applied both internally and externally. I think the external position is the one I received the Cat A/Superior Qualified rating on. My internal one still just says reviewed.

I'm merely in AM in Cleveland. Being the clock-watcher for shutdown has been my thing on this message board for a couple years. I know very little about what the ROs get in training other than they have less access to systems than a CSR that is fully trained on 20 with balance due.
scottyd27  
#367 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2018 9:33:28 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

You will most likely be out of state for the classroom portion of the training.

Unit one training is about 30 days.

Then you’ll be back at your POD for a month or two .

Then Unit two is about 3 weeks which is usually out of your state.

Then the rest of the time will
Be at your POD, until after the training year.

Then unit 3 is about 2 weeks out of state.

I’m going to advanced tech 1 in September. Which is basically a fourth unit training then advanced tech 2 likely at the end of 2019 or early 2020.

Scuttlebutt is they are doing the Unit training different this time. With shorter trips away but going away more often.

I applied to be an OJI but I haven’t been told anything official yet.

Edited by user Friday, December 21, 2018 9:38:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
iotajules on 1/24/2019(UTC)
iotajules  
#368 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2018 7:44:54 AM(UTC)
iotajules

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
It is too quiet in here.
scottyd27  
#369 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2018 8:22:50 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Nobody is doing anything. Everything is in a holding pattern until we open back up.
iotajules  
#370 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 8:00:33 AM(UTC)
iotajules

United States

I know......just wanted to break the ice.
Marie93  
#371 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 11:59:32 AM(UTC)
Marie93

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: iotajules Go to Quoted Post

I guess there is not much to say. Many externals were never even notified of their score. There are things to speculate about. Will the hiring be delayed? Will it be cancelled? What percentage of externals are no longer interested? If externals without a job find a job before this is resolved would they quit?

mschilli1977  
#372 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 6:06:54 PM(UTC)
mschilli1977

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Marie93 Go to Quoted Post

I guess there is not much to say. Many externals were never even notified of their score. There are things to speculate about. Will the hiring be delayed? Will it be cancelled? What percentage of externals are no longer interested? If externals without a job find a job before this is resolved would they quit?

I would really doubt that the hiring will be canceled. Delayed would be a stretch as well. Shutdowns that last any amount of time are very rare.
USMC03  
#373 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2019 5:15:19 AM(UTC)
USMC03

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I never heard anything funny thing is my co worker who applied for the same POD as a first choice and a second POD heard back with results but me? Nah I didn’t hear anything but I only applied to one POD

So who knows to be honest lol i feel like this is slipping away
iotajules  
#374 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2019 5:54:22 AM(UTC)
iotajules

United States

Originally Posted by: USMC03 Go to Quoted Post
I never heard anything funny thing is my co worker who applied for the same POD as a first choice and a second POD heard back with results but me? Nah I didn’t hear anything but I only applied to one POD

So who knows to be honest lol i feel like this is slipping away

Stay positive . I know im trying to. I got my rating though but just waiting for the next step and knowing that its on a holding pattern isn't fun neither.
USMC03  
#375 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2019 6:31:29 AM(UTC)
USMC03

I just wished I knew what I made but I some how never heard anything...

My other CO worker that applied to the first POD that I applied to and another POD heard back. Maybe because of the other POD? it is a bigger office in a big city I assume that’s the reason my other co worker heard back with results. Not sure how all this works
Marie93  
#376 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2019 7:28:12 AM(UTC)
Marie93

Originally Posted by: USMC03 Go to Quoted Post
I just wished I knew what I made but I some how never heard anything...

My other CO worker that applied to the first POD that I applied to and another POD heard back. Maybe because of the other POD? it is a bigger office in a big city I assume that’s the reason my other co worker heard back with results. Not sure how all this works

I think they are doing it by POD and grade applied for. I am a retired RO and just looking at the forums for a couple of external friends and they have not heard anything.

But, I doubt they are doing it by grade received, so don’t worry about that. Good Luck!

thanks 1 user thanked Marie93 for this useful post.
iotajules on 1/7/2019(UTC)
USMC03  
#377 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2019 7:53:58 AM(UTC)
USMC03

Thank you gotta keep waiting
iotajules  
#378 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2019 7:33:57 AM(UTC)
iotajules

United States

How is everyone holding up in here?
Milk Tea  
#379 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2019 9:36:51 AM(UTC)
Milk Tea

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)

No response yet, which is entirely unsurprising.

Shutdown is making me nervous. I'm the sole provider as my husband is working on his PhD. These kinds of things make me wonder if perhaps staying in public accounting, where demand always outstrips supply, and your fat paycheck arrives on time, is going to be better.

Don't understand how you retain skilled workers if you don't pay them personally.
Marie93  
#380 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2019 10:55:33 AM(UTC)
Marie93

Originally Posted by: Milk Tea Go to Quoted Post

No response yet, which is entirely unsurprising.

Shutdown is making me nervous. I'm the sole provider as my husband is working on his PhD. These kinds of things make me wonder if perhaps staying in public accounting, where demand always outstrips supply, and your fat paycheck arrives on time, is going to be better.

Don't understand how you retain skilled workers if you don't pay them personally.

This is not the norm. Yet, depending upon how it is resolved, it may become the norm.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed