Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

39 Pages«<3536373839>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jimmy81  
#721 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 3:06:51 PM(UTC)
Jimmy81

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Glad to see the 3 week CR will get passed.
Hope annual leave is approved for those that can't afford to report until payday.
Might still be a good idea to delay tax season for a week or so.
thanks 1 user thanked Jimmy81 for this useful post.
Hired 2015 on 1/25/2019(UTC)
spence  
#722 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 3:28:41 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
The Senate voted and passed the deal by voice vote already, gone to the House, House yet to vote but expected to tonight.
spence  
#723 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 3:57:48 PM(UTC)

House just passed bill by unanimous consent. Bill headed to President. Depending on when he signs, going to be a close thing whether the message gets updated tonight for the four hours to be within our night shift time for some of us.
Raoul  
#724 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 4:39:34 PM(UTC)

Man
United States

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Trump finally got his wall,
and her name is Nancy.
Retired July 2011
LieutenantBlantyre  
#725 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 4:58:50 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: spence Go to Quoted Post
House just passed bill by unanimous consent. Bill headed to President. Depending on when he signs, going to be a close thing whether the message gets updated tonight for the four hours to be within our night shift time for some of us.

No indication he signed it yet. I remember in February when a bill was passed at 5 AM he wouldn't roll out of bed in time to sign it before 9 AM which resulted in us having closed TAC offices nation-wide that day. Since it is a Friday night he could well wait through the weekend...which presents the sadly valid risk of him getting cold feet, of course.

Got a gig request in. If I get a few more, I might be able to afford turning in a resignation letter.
Collector0962  
#726 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 5:19:17 PM(UTC)
Collector0962

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Got a gig request in. If I get a few more, I might be able to afford turning in a resignation letter.

Say it ain't so. Not so sure we could find this level of excitement else.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#727 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 6:48:39 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

POLITICO reported as of 9:42 PM Eastern that the CR was signed by POTUS. Back to work Monday! Furlough is over.

I do sincerely hope we’re not back with a new thread in 3 weeks.
spence  
#728 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 6:52:57 PM(UTC)

IRS employee emergency page updated:

"This message applies to all IRS employees.

The federal government is now open and IRS employees are expected to report to work no later than four hours after this announcement is posted on Friday, January 25, 2019 at 9:30 p.m. ET. If the four hours are after the end of your established tour of duty, you should report to work at the beginning on your next scheduled workday.

If you are not able to return to duty on your next scheduled work day, you must contact your manager and tell him/her when you will report to work. Once you return to work, you must get approval from your manager for any absences from your regular tour of duty."
ThrowAway2  
#729 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 6:59:32 PM(UTC)
ThrowAway2

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
So the final tally is clear, I ended up working 6 days “without pay” and in addition to receiving pay for those days I will receive pay for 18 extra days that I did not work. Help me with my math, if I am wrong.
oldindigo  
#730 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 8:13:22 PM(UTC)
oldindigo

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Ok, so per a bunch of other rules, generally because we did not choose the recent time off voluntarily, 'they' have to pay us nite-diff per our normal TOD. Yes?

So for night shift, or say, 3:00-11:30, a little math results in: (Rate * 10d * 3h) + (Rate * 10d * 5h * 1.10)

Formula should give you one PP worth of Gross Pay missed.

Multiply that by 2.5 for the entire 25 days not paid. Two, and thru today one half, pay periods.

'Rate' is your hourly pay rate per the GS or other tables.

How and when exactly this is to be paid out is still unclear.

Depending on your TOD, adjust the '3' and '5' accordingly. The '1.10' is for the 10% n-d.

You might not have any n-d, so just use: (Rate * 10d * 8h) for one PP.

Edited by user Friday, January 25, 2019 8:18:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

chriswt25  
#731 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 8:22:29 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: oldindigo Go to Quoted Post
Ok, so per a bunch of other rules, generally because we did not choose the recent time off voluntarily, 'they' have to pay us nite-diff per our normal TOD. Yes?

So for night shift, or say, 3:00-11:30, a little math results in: (Rate * 10d * 3h) + (Rate * 10d * 5h * 1.10)

Formula should give you one PP worth of Gross Pay missed.

Multiply that by 2.5 for the entire 25 days not paid. Two, and thru today one half, pay periods.

'Rate' is your hourly pay rate per the GS or other tables.

How and when exactly this is to be paid out is still unclear.

Depending on your TOD, adjust the '3' and '5' accordingly. The '1.10' is for the 10% n-d.

You might not have any n-d, so just use: (Rate * 10d * 8h) for one PP.

I am sure everyone will have questions on Monday when you get back. Your manager should be guiding you through what SETR codes you will use.

You get paid per your shift differential. There are also 4 holidays that were within that time off. Let them tell you what to do.

chriswt25  
#732 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 8:34:52 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Originally Posted by: ThrowAway2 Go to Quoted Post
So the final tally is clear, I ended up working 6 days “without pay” and in addition to receiving pay for those days I will receive pay for 18 extra days that I did not work. Help me with my math, if I am wrong.

If you went back last Thurs, you worked 6 days. There were 4 Holidays and I count 15 days that were not worked in addition to the 4 Holidays.

The Holidays were 12/24 12/25 1/1 and 1/21

The days not worked were 12/26 12/27 12/28 12/31 1/2 1/3 1/4 1/7 1/8 1/9 1/10 1/11 1/14 1/15 1/16

The days you worked should have been 1/17 1/18 1/22 1/23 1/24 1/25

I think that is correct

There are different SETR codes for Furlough-Worked vs Furlough-Not Worrked. I don't know if we will be using the Holiday code for the 4 days.

That is what Monday is for. I am certain that THE FIRST THING they will do Monday are time cards

Edited by user Friday, January 25, 2019 8:47:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

No Place Like Home  
#733 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 9:42:55 PM(UTC)
No Place Like Home

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Our times during furlough have already been entered into SETR. Take a look when you go in on Monday, it might already be entered with the night difference code. I doubt they will open SETR back up so everyone can go in and make changes. They will probably have the clerks/admin do any necessary changes. Some people unfortunately won't get back pay since they were seasonal and weren't on the books when the furlough started and their codes will be different. If I remember correctly, the people on the books will have a code that will end in 9 and the ones not on the books will end in 5. The 9 guarantees backpay the 5 does not. You should have an email that will tell you all this information.
You will get a lot of "I need my IP PIN" calls, of course they moved or they can't retrieve it online. Something new this year - you have to request IP PIN tool through 5081. Also they are still calling for AGI - really??? Can't mail transcript to new address and can't fax - guess they can try and retrieve transcript online, find their copy, go back into their program (turbo tax) or they will have to mail in a paper return. Gosh we are just so mean making them wait 45 minutes on the phone for nothing! Yeah, welcome back!
dmellow  
#734 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 10:33:12 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
For planning purposes, I'm trying to determine how much additional income we will get during the 21 day CR. I believe tomorrow is the end of week 1 in the pay period. In addition to the 2 back pay checks we should get during this 21 day CR, we should get a paycheck on 2/11. If they shut down again, even though we will work 2/3-2/16, we probably wouldn't get that paycheck until after the shutdown ends. I believe payroll wouldn't process those weeks until the week of 2/18.

If a state of emergency is called, would we be furloughed right away? POTUS is taking a beating right now with people saying he caved. One newspaper heading coming out is calling him a "caveman". I'm not sure his ego can take it.

Edited by user Friday, January 25, 2019 10:37:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Hired 2015  
#735 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2019 5:34:04 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Journal entries on the books can always be corrected later. The point is to get folks paid so they can afford the gas to get to work and buy the food so they have the energy to work.
chriswt25  
#736 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2019 5:49:50 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Originally Posted by: dmellow Go to Quoted Post
For planning purposes, I'm trying to determine how much additional income we will get during the 21 day CR. I believe tomorrow is the end of week 1 in the pay period. In addition to the 2 back pay checks we should get during this 21 day CR, we should get a paycheck on 2/11. If they shut down again, even though we will work 2/3-2/16, we probably wouldn't get that paycheck until after the shutdown ends. I believe payroll wouldn't process those weeks until the week of 2/18.

If a state of emergency is called, would we be furloughed right away? POTUS is taking a beating right now with people saying he caved. One newspaper heading coming out is calling him a "caveman". I'm not sure his ego can take it.

I hope they don't go the state of emergency route, but if they do it wouldn't mean we would get furloughed again at all, unless they take the money out of our budget. I believe they would pass and sign a budget within three weeks, and then the President would declare the emergency. Of course this would be a nightmare with the court battles, but that wouldn't be our peoblem if we are back to work.

chriswt25  
#737 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2019 5:54:17 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post
Journal entries on the books can always be corrected later. The point is to get folks paid so they can afford the gas to get to work and buy the food so they have the energy to work.

I would like mine done correctly the first time. Good luck if you get underpaid with this. Could take a long time to straighten out. I hope you have enough gas and food to make it back Monday.
thanks 1 user thanked chriswt25 for this useful post.
Imthatgirl on 1/26/2019(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre  
#738 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2019 7:40:57 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: dmellow Go to Quoted Post

We're in the first week of Pay Period 2 today. We should've received Pay Period 1 payroll between yesterday and Monday-ish.
Imthatgirl  
#739 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2019 5:03:48 PM(UTC)
Imthatgirl

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post

I would like mine done correctly the first time. Good luck if you get underpaid with this. Could take a long time to straighten out. I hope you have enough gas and food to make it back Monday.

Anyone want to guess on when OT will start and how much will be offered for CSR’s?
Collector0962  
#740 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2019 6:45:59 PM(UTC)
Collector0962

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
IRS will need at least a year to recover from government shutdown, watchdog tells Congress
Updated 9:26 PM;
Posted 11:02 AM

The Internal Revenue Service has told lawmakers it would return from the government shutdown buried in millions of unanswered taxpayer letters, weeks behind schedule on training for workers and needing to hire thousands of new employees for this tax filing season, according to two House aides.

The National Taxpayer Advocate, a government watchdog group that oversees the collection agency, has also told House staffers it is likely to take at least a year for the IRS to return to normal operations, according to the two House aides, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the numbers.

thanks 1 user thanked Collector0962 for this useful post.
SuperDuperSecretSquirrel on 1/26/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed