Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gscott  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 7:11:26 PM(UTC)
gscott

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
As someone who currently receives a Social Security annuity who turns 65 in May, I have been notified that I will be enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B starting in February of this year (2019). If I do not wish to enroll in Part B at that time I need to notify Medicare of that preference.

My preference is to delay Part B premium payment as long as possible while avoiding the 10% annual penalty. Can I postpone my enrollment in Part B until the end of the 7-month eligibility window (i.e., August 30, 2019)? Do I do that by declining Part B now and then enrolling in August?
Also I expect my premium to decrease in 2020 based on a lower expected household AGI, so the fewer premiums paid based on 2017 AGI the better.
Thanks.
GoHuskers  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2019 11:59:29 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 134 time(s) in 108 post(s)
Your initial enrollment period for Part B runs from 3 months prior to 3 months after the month you attain age 65. Since you are already receiving SS retirement you are deemed to have filed for Part B in the first month of that period with the coverage effective as of May. You can refuse the Part B coverage now and later enroll in the last part of your initial enrollment period. The effective date of the Part B coverage would then be dependent on the exact month that you enrolled. If you wait until August to enroll the Part B would be effective in November.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0600805165

You could also wait until the 2020 General Enrollment Period, which will run from January through March 2020, to enroll. If you did that your Part B would not start until July 2020. You would still avoid the penalty because there would have been fewer than 12 months from the end of your initial enrollment period to the end of that enrollment period.

https://secure.ssa.gov/a.../poms.nsf/lnx/0601001010
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Michelle on 6/13/2021(UTC)
gscott  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2019 10:21:49 AM(UTC)
gscott

Thank you for replying. Some text from the second link you provided states this info:

Basic Principle

The Supplementary Medical Insurance (SMI) premium is increased 10 percent for each full 12 months during which an individual could have been, but was not, enrolled in SMI.

Is that saying the 10 percent premium increase is not prorated if Part B enrollment is delayed by any number of months less than 12 (i.e., 6 months delay does not result in a 5% penalty?)
GoHuskers  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2019 11:26:09 AM(UTC)

There is never any proration of the 10% per year penalty. Go again to the second link and then click on the link to the next section, which has examples of how the penalty is calculated.
gscott  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 5:37:52 AM(UTC)
gscott

Thanks GoHuskers.

Although none of the examples are specific to my situation, they do show that only full 12-month increments are considered in determining the late enrollment penalty.

Doesn't this mean then that someone always has the option to wait until January of the year after they turn 65 to sign up for Part B during the General Enrollment Period and avoid the 10% penalty?
GoHuskers  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 12:46:05 PM(UTC)

I guess it does, since the initial enrollment period of someone who attained age 65 in January runs through April 30 and the general enrollment period in the next year ends March 31. The only exception would be for those born on January 1. There is a legal principal that says a person is deemed to have attained a certain age on the day prior to their birthday. So a person born January 1 is deemed to have attained age 65 on December 31 and would thus have their initial enrollment period run from September 1 to March 31.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed