Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mike in VT  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2019 10:19:37 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Can someone supervise another employee at the same pay grade?

Example-
GS-13 Supervisory Analyst has a GS-13 Analyst directly report to him. The Supervisory Analyst conducts the employee's annual appraisal and administrative functions (i.e. leave and schedule approval). It was always my understanding that the supervisor of record has to be at least one pay grade above the employee.
TheRealOrange  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2019 10:30:20 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post

Example-
GS-13 Supervisory Analyst has a GS-13 Analyst directly report to him. The Supervisory Analyst conducts the employee's annual appraisal and administrative functions (i.e. leave and schedule approval). It was always my understanding that the supervisor of record has to be at least one pay grade above the employee.

I don't think there is any requirement for a supervisor to be at least one pay grade above an employee supervised. I have seen several instances of supervisors being at the same pay grade as some of the employees they supervise.

frankgonzalez  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2019 10:42:55 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 901 time(s) in 711 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post

Example-
While it is preferable, it isn't required. You can find plenty of places where you have an SES who has a GS15 deputy who supervises several GS-15 division heads, who supervise a GS-15 deputy.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
armywifemba  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2019 7:12:31 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
No. At my job the Supervisor, Team Lead, and some employees are all GS-13. Problem I have with this is when you, who transferred from another agency) are making more money than your supervisor who is upset about it; thus, when it is time for performance evaluation, can you guess what happens? This is in the AcqDemo performance system.

Personally, I feel it is a conflict of interest.

ArmyWifeMBA
DroneBee  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 3:32:52 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 91 post(s)
AcqDemo (and related demos) are for management only - ArmyWifeMBA is right - they save all the bonus $ for themselves. In the demo system, a lower grade can supervise a higher grade - the agency will come up with all sorts of reasons for stating so - such as that the person is in the management track. Forget any comparisons with military grades - I had a VERY junior officer supervise over a two-tiered level because he was someone's boy.

I can't stress this enough - do not complain about who's your boss, etc. Complainers - even on such a no-brainer as this issue that a supervisor should be higher or at least the same level - are harassed, and, in my case, eventually fired. God Bless.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed