Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Employees: You be the Judge

Get real-life reviews of key court cases involving federal employees. Share your opinion on the outcomes of these cases, or participate in other discussions about workplace issues that may impact your job.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup and should be reported immediately.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AirborneMP  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 4:54:32 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Good evening, Besides Military time, I have worked for a 2 Federal Agencies over the course of 8+ years. My newest agency I started in June of 2018.
When I interviewed for the Position I was hired to take care of IT work within a specific section of a facility which houses two different networks.
My current Supervisor never interviewed me. I was interviewed by personnel (Not IT) that were originally taking care of their own IT needs.
My position was created (replaced a scientist)to fall under the Main Agency IT department.

I agreed to take care of the Network that is self-contained AND the facility business network.

Upon starting about 60 days through, I got word from My supervisor that I was needed to cover the other side of the building multiple days a week. Mind you at this time there were already 2 FTE at that location and only me at mine.

Soon after 1 of those FTE's reported they were leaving for another agency. The Supervisor then pressed harder that I needed to cover that void.

Originally, I was already doing the work of 1 FTE. plus the other Network on "my" side of the facility that I agreed to when interviewed. Now I find myself covering the IT requirements on the other side of the building.

This has limited my performance for the original job I signed up for.

I was also forced to work with someone at the other part of the facility who in nice words is waiting for retirement very soon. There is not much support there.

I made a request to change my Bargaining Unit status (I was hired as a non)and my supervisor was very interested in who initiated the change.
My request was accepted, I was placed as a Bargaining Unit employee going forward.

Since then, the workload for me had continuously increased. More was being assigned and my "retiree waiting" co-worker was getting and doing less. My performance to the people I was hired for continues to decline.

Fast forward I get my first end of year evaluation from this agency and it was not entirely bad but it was the lowest I had ever received in my career.....Anywhere.

My requests to the supervisor about this seem to fall on deaf ears. After numerous E-mails with quantified evidence of favoritism, my last email ended with "I felt I was being ignored."

As usual I never received a supervisor response. When ever I do get a response, it is VERY Short and without content. Always generalized.

I checked over my PD. it is so very generalized that covering other facilities is Generally in there but, not specified.

I am not sure how to address this with management going forward. I am under the impression that my Supervisors Boss is very close to my supervisor and would not entertain my concerns.

Where do I start with this?
Where can I go, what can I do?

It is getting frustrating as I feel the problems and see them but i do not have a clear path of action to try to stop them myself.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
ABNMP

frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:28:02 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 988 time(s) in 785 post(s)
https://www.usajobs.gov/

Not to belittle your concerns, but the above is the only solution I see for you. You haven't articulated anything that would be grievable, and only seem to be concerned you are doing more volume of work. Is the work of a higher level than you were hired for? If so, maybe a desk audit will result in a higher grade. If not, volume of work doesn't impact grade, but it is frustrating, especially if management isn't willing to help spread the load more easily.

But...based on your screen name here, I would ask you how many folks did you see in the military who were ROAD (Retired On Active Duty) that did little but convert oxygen to carbon dioxide while others took up the slack? That is where you are at. When yo find yourself in that swamp...look for a new position. Maybe it will result in a promotion as a result.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
AirborneMP  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:54:24 AM(UTC)

Thank you Frank. I was really hoping it wouldn't come to that. The Job I signed up for working with the people I signed up for would be a great job.
But with the extra responsibilities the Supervisor through on me it hinders what I can do for those that actually fought to get my FTE Created.

I have been posting apps this week in USAJobs.
Hopefully something different pans out.

Thanks again,
ABNMP
Rss Feed  Atom Feed