Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

HHS

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is the United States government's principal agency for protecting the health of all Americans and providing essential human services, especially for those who are least able to help themselves.

Source: www.hhs.gov/about/

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kikimm  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:50:12 AM(UTC)
kikimm

Groups: Registered
United States

Ive been a federal employee at the same position for HHS for almost 3 years now (3 years in April) The position was my entry into the federal government. The position went from a GS5 - GS7. I came in at a GS-6. 1 year ago I was told that I was being put up for promotion, and that there is a process. During my mid-year when I still had not heard anything further, I was told there is no money for a promotion to hang tight. Now, 1 year later, I am still being told that the budget is tight and there is nothing they can do. My performance is nothing but positive but no money. Is this even possible? We are and have been short 3 other people for the same position so yes, we have had triple work. My question is, where is the money for those salaries?

Is this legit or is my boss giving me the run around?
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2019 3:54:54 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 301 time(s) in 262 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kikimm Go to Quoted Post
Ive been a federal employee at the same position for HHS for almost 3 years now (3 years in April) The position was my entry into the federal government. The position went from a GS5 - GS7. I came in at a GS-6. 1 year ago I was told that I was being put up for promotion, and that there is a process. During my mid-year when I still had not heard anything further, I was told there is no money for a promotion to hang tight. Now, 1 year later, I am still being told that the budget is tight and there is nothing they can do. My performance is nothing but positive but no money. Is this even possible? We are and have been short 3 other people for the same position so yes, we have had triple work. My question is, where is the money for those salaries?

Is this legit or is my boss giving me the run around?
Oh this is all very possible, job performance means very little, and the funds might now be diverted in anticipation of the completion of the Wall!

BrianDez  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 3:44:20 AM(UTC)
BrianDez

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I hate to tell you this but your Supervisor shouldn't have mentioned anything about promoting you. There's several potential problems that can cause that promotion to not happen. One is a direct result of Management not showing the "need" of the promotion. Government wide Budget concerns are often times the "catch-all" excuse for dreamers.

Is your position being filled at a lower grade as compared to your Position Description? Were you guaranteed a grade promotion as part of the hiring process??

When I first started as a GS, I was a GS7. A few years later the Agency changed the grade on paper to a GS9 and was supplying the appropriate funding. As a result of our research we found the Management was using the funds to support save pay for other GS positions due to restructuring. It wasn't until we got the Union involved did we gain any traction. It took time but the Management was able to move people around to their liking and FINALLY the GS7 positions were finally promoted to GS9.

That is another possibility for your organization not approving the promotion. If it bothers you too much maybe you just need to go elsewhere.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed