Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Imthatgirl  
#61 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 3:11:51 PM(UTC)
Imthatgirl

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kitkatma Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Imthatgirl Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Imthatgirl Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post
Journal entries on the books can always be corrected later. The point is to get folks paid so they can afford the gas to get to work and buy the food so they have the energy to work.

I would like mine done correctly the first time. Good luck if you get underpaid with this. Could take a long time to straighten out. I hope you have enough gas and food to make it back Monday.

Anyone want to guess on when OT will start and how much will be offered for CSR’s?

I am moving this over here, if possible.

OT won't start until we get headcount as to who returns and who is dismissed for being UA. We won't have that settled until Wednesday probably. It takes JOC a couple weeks to run site requirements numbers. JOC already determined that we will not be open on President's Day 2019.

I really don't think we'll know about OT before 12:01 AM on February 16th. This really isn't an end to the shutdown but rather a cease-fire. JOC wouldn't have figures done before we may potentially crash out again.

I’m quite sure we will have OT before February 16th given the state of the phones.

I was wondering about Presidents Day. Makes sense that they won’t go forward with that being that they generally advertise extended hours during this weekend and not knowing the state of the government at that time.

Anyone know if seasonals who were supposed to come back on January 2nd, will be given back pay to that date. Or will it be the date that they became excepted? I found no guidance on this and different answers are being given. Your assistance is appreciated.

For the January 2nd folks, they actually had to be on the books with their badges back. If not they get nothing because they weren't in a shutdown furlough status but rather an unpaid seasonal furlough status. We're still doing headcounts at Cleveland because not everybody returned and we have to total up the damage to the org chart.

Of the one RTD on my team, when his PAR was input, his return date was input as Jan 2, 2019. So he should be getting paid from the 2nd forward.

Yes, same with us. PARS action to show return date of January 2nd yet being told back pay will not be given until we became excepted. Yet, no one can provide a reference to this.

No Place Like Home  
#62 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 8:30:53 PM(UTC)
No Place Like Home

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 7 post(s)
BACK PAY IN MY ACCOUNT TONIGHT!!!!!
thanks 1 user thanked No Place Like Home for this useful post.
Jimmy81 on 1/29/2019(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre  
#63 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 5:50:18 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 174 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Originally Posted by: No Place Like Home Go to Quoted Post
BACK PAY IN MY ACCOUNT TONIGHT!!!!!

And this will keep rolling forward as we go through the 31st.

Now, if anybody has any firewood that would be great. Arctic windchills and subzero air temperatures wound up getting Cleveland's call site closed today and tomorrow. This is the nasty kind of cold where you could lose a finger or your nose with very little exposure time. It hasn't been this cold out since 1994.

Vinny  
#64 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 6:04:09 AM(UTC)
Vinny

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 17 post(s)
All hope for a slight pay raise for 2019 is not yet lost.

https://www.govexec.com/...n/154502/?oref=top-story
LieutenantBlantyre  
#65 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 7:48:04 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Which call sites were up Wednesday? I only left home once and got thoroughly chilled out. Frostbite started pretty darn fast but I didn't lose anything.
Vinny  
#66 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 6:02:06 AM(UTC)
Vinny

IRS to delay closure of tax transcript fax service

https://www.accountingto...x-transcript-fax-service
LieutenantBlantyre  
#67 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 8:18:49 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Vinny Go to Quoted Post
IRS to delay closure of tax transcript fax service

https://www.accountingto...x-transcript-fax-service

Dang it! There is no call for this. Practitioners will be better served under the new method that we had new IRMs written for. Yes, it would've forced them all into IVES but there is nothing wrong with that.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#68 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:29:44 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

And here we go again...

POLITICO: Pelosi says no wall funding in border security deal

Quote:
Speaker Nancy Pelosi has drawn a firm line in the ongoing border security negotiations: There will be no wall funding in any deal congressional negotiators reach to avert another government shutdown.

Pelosi told reporters Thursday that she would allow a vote on any agreement the conference committee reaches in the next few weeks, but added, "There’s not going to be any wall money in the legislation.”

Pelosi has made similar comments before, but her remarks came just hours after President Donald Trump insisted that his desired border wall is “getting done one way or the other.” He said later Thursday he wouldn’t accept anything short of a wall — even a different kind of physical barrier.

“If there's no wall, it doesn't work. [Pelosi’s] just playing games,” he told reporters. “So, if there's no wall, it doesn't work.”

Roll Call: Trump tells GOP members they’re ‘wasting their time’ in border security talks

Quote:
That bipartisan conference committee met for the first time Wednesday, but its members gave few signs that a deal is likely on border security and wall funding before a Feb. 15 deadline. If that panel fails to produce spending legislation that both chambers can pass and Trump would sign into law, a quarter of the federal government would again shut down.

Trump also dropped his attempts to rebrand his southern border structure as “artistically designed steel slats,” likely making things harder for the House-Senate panel, which is trying to strike a border spending deal needed to avert another government shutdown. Trump on Thursday returned to his hardline stance, demanding his proposed structure permanently be called a “wall.”

And in a signal the president is increasingly focused on his 2020 re-election bid, he fired off a tweet in a series of posts that spanned several hours contending the Democratic Party is becoming one that favors “late term abortion, high taxes, Open Borders and Crime!”

Then lest we forget these folks...

Ocasio-Cortez, progressives press Pelosi to not increase DHS funding in any funding deal

Quote:
Four freshmen Democrats are telling their colleagues that “not another dollar” should go toward the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in any spending deal to avert another government shutdown.

Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (N.Y.), Ilhan Omar (Minn.), Ayanna Pressley (Mass.) and Rashida Tlaib (Mich.) drafted a letter that calls out Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and Customs and Border Protection (CBP) -- two agencies under DHS -- and says funding issues should be addressed during the fiscal year 2020 budget process.

"We have seen rampant spending on detention facilities for young children,” a draft of the letter reads. “The deal reached by the Conference Committee should not allocate any additional funding to this department or to the ICE and CBP agencies. The upcoming FY2020 budget process will be a critical opportunity to take up conversations about reforms to the agency. In the meantime, not another dollar."

The letter, dated Jan. 29 and first reported by The Daily Beast on Thursday, was confirmed by Corbin Trent, a spokesman for Ocasio-Cortez.

"It does exist, yes. The letter speaks for itself," Trent told The Hill.

“Our message is simple: We’re asking that Congress cut, not increase, spending on detention facilities, stop using DHS as a slush fund, and include stronger accountability against DHS abuses under Donald Trump’s watch,” Omar reportedly told The Daily Beast.

New countdown timer is available here: https://timeanddate.com/s/3s4n

The windchill is only -11°F now. You know it is cold when it is too cold for snow to form.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#69 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2019 4:13:02 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

I didn't watch last night's speech and am chancing it going in today. At the least I'm not running a fever anymore. Today will be a glorious day of success.

On that note...has anybody seen a seasonals season length contract yet? I last saw my desk Friday and have just been out sick. There may well be one at Deep 13 already when I get there in a little while but I have no expectations.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#70 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2019 6:42:57 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Section B of Article 48 from the current contract states relative to hardships during a shutdown:

Quote:
All Service employees will be furloughed except for those employees performing excepted functions or those employees whose positions are exempt. When there is more than one (1) qualified employee in the same position, grade, post of duty, and tour of duty available for an excepted position, the Employer has determined that employees will be assigned to the excepted position by inverse seniority based on enter on duty (EOD) date. The Employer will consider an employee’s request not to work due to a hardship. If the employee’s request is honored, the Employer has determined that the next employee, meeting the above criteria, will be assigned to the excepted position.

The contingency plan that was in effect during the previous shutdown would likely still go into effect if things go wrong again. If you were essential then, you'll likely be essential again.

At this point, the unofficial go/no-go on a budget compromise is the end of the day Friday. If nothing concrete comes out of DC by 3 PM or 4 PM Friday, it would be prudent to go ahead and start writing a "hardship request" e-mail to be saved to your drafts folder. There is an epic level of stupidity in DC right now and with folks like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez frankly wanting to gut the funding for DHS now this could still all fall apart. The biggest new distraction to add in to the mix is that long-time Dean of the House of Representatives John Dingell just died.

Keep it to two paragraphs or less. Explain why you can't work without pay during filing season. Heck, who among us actually has in-hand a seasonal contract stating how long our season will last in CY2019?

Prudence dictates just having the e-mail ready to go so we can establish paper trails. If it isn't needed it can always be deleted. I know POLITICO/Roll Call/TheHill are all sounding optimistic about this to the point of almost wish-casting. To rip off a quote attributed to Yogi Berra: "It's like déjà vu all over again."

Edited by user Thursday, February 07, 2019 6:44:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gardenia  
#71 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2019 7:35:40 PM(UTC)
gardenia

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
My seasonal agreement says 6 to 8 months. August.

Edited by user Thursday, February 07, 2019 7:37:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LieutenantBlantyre  
#72 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2019 8:00:50 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: gardenia Go to Quoted Post

Okay, at least somebody got a new one for the year then. There is supposed to be a new season length expectation given to us annually. We stil don’t have that at Cleveland and it looks like our OT is getting yanked too at Cleveland.
NicNell  
#73 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2019 3:24:06 AM(UTC)
NicNell

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I received the same agreement last week.

LieutenantBlantyre  
#74 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2019 3:49:48 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: NicNell Go to Quoted Post

Now I can make a little noise perhaps.
chriswt25  
#75 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2019 9:53:29 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Section B of Article 48 from the current contract states relative to hardships during a shutdown:

Quote:
All Service employees will be furloughed except for those employees performing excepted functions or those employees whose positions are exempt. When there is more than one (1) qualified employee in the same position, grade, post of duty, and tour of duty available for an excepted position, the Employer has determined that employees will be assigned to the excepted position by inverse seniority based on enter on duty (EOD) date. The Employer will consider an employee’s request not to work due to a hardship. If the employee’s request is honored, the Employer has determined that the next employee, meeting the above criteria, will be assigned to the excepted position.

The contingency plan that was in effect during the previous shutdown would likely still go into effect if things go wrong again. If you were essential then, you'll likely be essential again.

At this point, the unofficial go/no-go on a budget compromise is the end of the day Friday. If nothing concrete comes out of DC by 3 PM or 4 PM Friday, it would be prudent to go ahead and start writing a "hardship request" e-mail to be saved to your drafts folder. There is an epic level of stupidity in DC right now and with folks like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez frankly wanting to gut the funding for DHS now this could still all fall apart. The biggest new distraction to add in to the mix is that long-time Dean of the House of Representatives John Dingell just died.

Keep it to two paragraphs or less. Explain why you can't work without pay during filing season. Heck, who among us actually has in-hand a seasonal contract stating how long our season will last in CY2019?

Prudence dictates just having the e-mail ready to go so we can establish paper trails. If it isn't needed it can always be deleted. I know POLITICO/Roll Call/TheHill are all sounding optimistic about this to the point of almost wish-casting. To rip off a quote attributed to Yogi Berra: "It's like déjà vu all over again."

Who knows if there will be another shutdown. My gut is telling me no. There was too much of a backlash last time, but if it happens and people want to do a hardship, I would go about things a little different then what you suggest.

I did the hardship last time. I would be careful about just sending an EMAIL stating you need the hardship. They really want to hear it verbally , either in person or at least over the phone. You really have to do it like when you call in sick. Technically you need to speak live to a manager.

In my office we had dozens of people show up the first day we were told to come back. We all spoke to the managers and said we requested the hardship, due to the fact that we could not financially afford to go to work every day without pay. This is a CYA thing.

I wouldn't prepare an EMAIL in advance.

thanks 1 user thanked chriswt25 for this useful post.
Hired 2015 on 2/8/2019(UTC)
512student  
#76 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2019 7:14:19 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NicNell Go to Quoted Post

Same agreement received at AUSC
LieutenantBlantyre  
#77 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 6:48:55 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

BE ON THE LOOKOUT

Depending upon which news outlet you're reading (Guardian says it is a minor spot of bother, POLITICO thinks it is a turn for the worse, Reuters says it has collapsed), the conference committee basically couldn't get it together to produce a bill. At last report they were trying to produce another stopgap continuing resolution. With lunatics like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez getting people on the bandwagon for cutting funding to ICE, there is actually a real possibility a continuing resolution could fail. Throughout the committee's efforts, proposals by the Democrats involved cutting ICE funding in new & novel ways while also denying any construction funds of any type to the President. The last bit of non-sense was to cut detainee beds so that ICE would be forced to prioritize deporting known criminals instead of just conducting general raids. One doesn't necessarily correlate with the other, though.

The countdown clock is running and we've got five days left: https://timeanddate.com/s/3s4n

The budget for our agency is only four and a half months overdue. If these were regular TPs they would be out of AM's queue and dumped on ACS. They're still screwing around on an overdue budget when they're supposed to be starting to write next fiscal year's budget. The budget writers are instead holding oversight hearings instead of doing the smart thing known as writing the budget.

I need a drink...

Edited by user Sunday, February 10, 2019 6:49:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Vinny  
#78 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 10:39:07 AM(UTC)
Vinny

Now we wait to see if the President signs H.J. Res. 31 to give us a budget for the rest of the year (and a 1.9% increase in the GS salary tables). Otherwise it's Shutdown 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Not sure if Vegas is offering odds on this...too many unknowns with the unpredictability of this president.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#79 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 10:55:36 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Vinny Go to Quoted Post
Now we wait to see if the President signs H.J. Res. 31 to give us a budget for the rest of the year (and a 1.9% increase in the GS salary tables). Otherwise it's Shutdown 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Not sure if Vegas is offering odds on this...too many unknowns with the unpredictability of this president.

Hey, that's my shtick! :-)

No source says he actually signed the bill but he was going to sign the emergency declaration at the same time. Media shows all sorts of people apoplectic over the emergency declaration and off we go to the courts again. Library of Congress didn't update their tracker & the White House website is steadily increasing in uselessness.

I grow tired of the DC bull*****. If I can grow a Schedule C business enough, I might be able to afford to leave. Results aren't promising at the moment.
thanks 1 user thanked LieutenantBlantyre for this useful post.
Vinny on 2/15/2019(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre  
#80 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 7:41:18 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Skywatch says that National Review Online reports The Old Man signed the bill.

Moving on from that drama to something more worthwhile....

What are you doing to adapt to losing READ & MEET time so much during filing season? While there is apparently expected extreme demand our actual traffic levels have also not been reflecting that demand seemingly. Cleveland is the last site to stay on 55 and if we get reduced to minimal after everybody else then nobody is really calling for an appointment, for example.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed