Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Inside the News

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current federal employee related news topics. This forum is for U.S. federal government news topics only -- specifically, news that directly affects federal employees, their jobs, pay, benefits or other workplace issues.

Please refrain from posting topics on general current events, U.S. or world politics, etc. FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal employees, so keeping forum topics focused to those readers and members here is what makes this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
spence  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 7:04:18 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Locality rate is based on the difference in compensation between jobs of federal employees in that area and comparable private-sector jobs in that area. This sometimes but doesn't always correspond to cost of living.

Many Houston federal employees are at NASA and, being so highly qualified, could be paid much more if they were working in the private sector in Houston. The adjustment is a percentage applying to the whole GS pay scale in the area, including non-NASA jobs, but is driven in part by the types of federal employees working there. If Houston mostly had a few federal employees in clerical positions, the difference between their pay and the surrounding private-sector clerical wage probably would be much smaller, so the locality adjustment wouldn't be as high either.

They aren't looking at the costs in the area, but at trying to come closer to the market rate of pay for the types of federal jobs in the area.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 19, 2019 7:11:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

someoldguy  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 4:00:22 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 896 time(s) in 750 post(s)
Originally Posted by: spence Go to Quoted Post
Locality rate is based on the difference in compensation between jobs of federal employees in that area and comparable private-sector jobs in that area.
Will have to check that out. Never heard that before.

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
King_Fed  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 4:08:05 PM(UTC)
King_Fed

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
Locality rate is based on the difference in compensation between jobs of federal employees in that area and comparable private-sector jobs in that area.
Will have to check that out. Never heard that before.

Good, I'm not alone. :-)

Seems to be correct though.... https://federalnewsnetwo...t-means-for-your-salary/

I never thought about it deeply... although, if I had to guess, I would have said "cost of living".

Internet is not all bad.
someoldguy  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 4:39:54 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Locality rate is based on the difference in compensation between jobs of federal employees in that area and comparable private-sector jobs in that area. This sometimes but doesn't always correspond to cost of living.
OK, I checked out the link that KingFed shared.

But wouldn't private sector compensation largely be driven by the cost of living? I used to work in industry and the salaries were higher in places like California, North Jersey, and Boston, not to mention DC-MD-VA. Sometimes salaries were a bit lower in Florida, and there are a lot of NASA people in Florida. Locality pay is about 16% or almost half the rate for Houston. That's for the Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville area where most of the space coast is located.

I just checked out a couple of articles listing the top ten cost of living areas (ie the most expensive) in the US... LA, SF, NY, Seattle... Houston is nowhere to be found.

Found one site that said that the cost of living in Houston is 2% lower than the national average.

Does somebody have their thumb on the scale???

Edited by user Wednesday, February 20, 2019 4:44:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: adding more factoids

frankgonzalez  
#25 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2019 4:43:45 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 936 time(s) in 741 post(s)
OK, I checked out the link that KingFed shared.

But wouldn't private sector compensation largely be driven by the cost of living? I used to work in industry and the salaries were higher in places like California, North Jersey, and Boston, not to mention DC-MD-VA. Sometimes salaries were a bit lower in Florida, and there are a lot of NASA people in Florida. Locality pay is about 16% or almost half the rate for Houston. That's for the Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville area where most of the space coast is located.

I just checked out a couple of articles listing the top ten cost of living areas (ie the most expensive) in the US... LA, SF, NY, Seattle... Houston is nowhere to be found.

Found one site that said that the cost of living in Houston is 2% lower than the national average.

Does somebody have their thumb on the scale???
Cost of living is only one factor. Houston is a location with lots of Oil industry who are always looking for scientists and engineers. So while a cool mission at NASA may attract some, money may be something the private sector can use to steal some of the folks who would otherwise work at NASA. So...give a higher locality rate to increase the salaries of those critical folks, and while it may be less that the private sector, closing that gap a little means they stay.

On the other hand, Florida is primarily a tourism driven economy. While there is some private sector competition there, it mainly exists because NASA is there. Therefore not as much incentive is needed to keep folks there, especially with the lower cost of living the Space Coast has.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
icanzz  
#26 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2019 7:33:23 AM(UTC)
icanzz

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
ALL good points about Houston...I think they should pay Combat pay to live there personally and I am from Texas.

Anyway.....pay raise 2019...I have interest because my wife is still working...but Trump signed executive order no raise...then he signed Bill passed by congress into law with raise...now online states raise will not go into effect until Trump signs another executive order to actually pay it...see any potential issue here?
GWPDA  
#27 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2019 10:13:03 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 476 time(s) in 396 post(s)
"online states raise will not go into effect until Trump signs another executive order to actually pay it."

?Que?
USTrans  
#28 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2019 7:48:04 PM(UTC)
USTrans

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 19 post(s)
The Houston locality is really high, yes, and its one of the reasons I may end up there instead of San Antonio. The only problem with Houston for me is that there is no military base...but that $10,000 difference in Houston compared to most locales is crazy.
someoldguy  
#29 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2019 7:28:18 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
"online states raise will not go into effect until Trump signs another executive order to actually pay it."

?Que?
I have seen this also. Someone turned me on to another website, https://www.myfederalretirement.com and they have an article that says (in part):
Quote:
Executive Order

President Trump will need to issue an executive order authorizing the pay increase “with comparability payments to be determined and allocated among pay localities by the President,” according to the appropriations bill.

They think the new pay rates (including locality pay) will take effect in the first pay period after the new EO is signed.

someoldguy  
#30 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2019 3:35:36 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Still no official word but I did see this in an article on the FedWeek site:

Quote:
Under data from the Federal Salary Council’s meeting in November, those in the San Francisco, Washington and New York City areas stand to receive the biggest increases. Those three city areas already are at the top end of the locality pay system, with pay in the San Francisco area for example about 25 percent ahead of pay in the “rest of the U.S.,” or RUS.

Following them in order would be Los Angeles, San Diego, Seattle-Tacoma, Houston and Boston. Just above the RUS locality for the smallest increases in ascending order would be Indianapolis, Philadelphia and Cleveland.

Now I gotta look into this "Federal Salary Council" thing

And why doesn't Philly get the love?
paddleshad  
#31 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2019 7:57:03 AM(UTC)

Any updates? Is the President refusing to sign the executive order? It should have been done last week.
someoldguy  
#32 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2019 2:46:19 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: paddleshad Go to Quoted Post
Any updates? Is the President refusing to sign the executive order? It should have been done last week.
I wouldn't go so far as to say he is refusing to sign the required executive order... but it certainly does not appear to be a priority.

I scour the various federal employee-centric websites and have seen nothing, nothing, nothing.

UPDATE: The National Treasury Employees Union (NTEU), one of the largest public sector unions, sent a letter to OPM inquiring as to the status of the executive order. I think the letter was sent on 25 Feb. There are no reports of any response.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 26, 2019 5:33:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Update with a bit of additional info

someoldguy  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2019 4:15:49 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

The latest (as of 27 Feb) is that before the President can issue the necessary executive order, OPM has to generate pay tables and send them to OMB for review... THEN the executive order can be issued. According to a report (see link below) the raise could appear as soon as the 22 Mar pay day or maybe not until 5 April.

Back pay is a separate issue. And apparently there were cases in the not-too-distant past when it took even longer.

2019 locality pay tables expected early spring
thanks 1 user thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
DaVinci95 on 2/28/2019(UTC)
someoldguy  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, March 06, 2019 4:08:11 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

spence  
#35 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2019 5:39:53 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 30 post(s)
How much longer is this going to take? I've stopped even seeing news about when the new tables are coming out reflecting the 1.9% raise passed in the budget deal. Are they planning to do this so late that the President can say, look they just got a raise, so it's more likely the wages will be frozen for 2020 as he wants?
montanabob  
#36 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 10:08:32 AM(UTC)
montanabob

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The latest (as of 27 Feb) is that before the President can issue the necessary executive order, OPM has to generate pay tables and send them to OMB for review... THEN the executive order can be issued. According to a report (see link below) the raise could appear as soon as the 22 Mar pay day or maybe not until 5 April.

Back pay is a separate issue. And apparently there were cases in the not-too-distant past when it took even longer.

Where are you getting a new EO needs signed? Nope. The guidance is that the EO is issued with the proposed pay raise (0% this year) and Congress has to enact legislation to counter the EO. They enacted legislation so no EO is issued to execute the pay raise. And yes, OPM still has to promulgate tables, agencies need to figure out how to implement it with all the FUBAR the shutdown caused and the extraordinary effort required to get people back paid. As of this week, there are still people who haven't been paid right, people who got checks that shouldn't have and people upset over the stupidity going on in Washington.
TheRealOrange  
#37 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 10:39:25 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 101 post(s)
Originally Posted by: montanabob Go to Quoted Post

Where are you getting a new EO needs signed? Nope. The guidance is that the EO is issued with the proposed pay raise (0% this year) and Congress has to enact legislation to counter the EO. They enacted legislation so no EO is issued to execute the pay raise. And yes, OPM still has to promulgate tables, agencies need to figure out how to implement it with all the FUBAR the shutdown caused and the extraordinary effort required to get people back paid. As of this week, there are still people who haven't been paid right, people who got checks that shouldn't have and people upset over the stupidity going on in Washington.

The linked article includes this comment: "After OMB’s review, President Donald Trump must sign an executive order to begin the process for federal payroll providers to update their systems." Other similar article have indicated the same. For example, here is language from a recent GovExec article: "According to a former Office of Management and Budget official familiar with the federal compensation system, Trump is now obligated to issue an executive order authorizing a 1.9 percent raise and publishing new pay tables across the various compensation structures." And, from Fedweek: "Although President Trump signed a budget measure on February 15 providing for an average 1.9 percent federal employee raise retroactive to January 6, as of Tuesday morning – Feb. 26 – he still had not issued the executive order needed to carry it out. Also still pending is OPM guidance that follows such orders on the details of the raise and the new pay tables by GS locality."

GWPDA  
#38 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 11:00:10 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 476 time(s) in 396 post(s)
I have an idea that this second 'Executive Order' is less an order than an authorisation and instruction to proceed. Nevertheless, there appears to be a whole lot of stalling between Weichart in OPM and Mulvaney in OMB. Weichart claimed the pay tables would be ready to go, well, now. They don't seem to be. I am not betting the farm on seeing a penny within this year.
King_Fed  
#39 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2019 3:01:53 PM(UTC)
King_Fed

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
I have an idea that this second 'Executive Order' is less an order than an authorisation and instruction to proceed. Nevertheless, there appears to be a whole lot of stalling between Weichart in OPM and Mulvaney in OMB. Weichart claimed the pay tables would be ready to go, well, now. They don't seem to be. I am not betting the farm on seeing a penny within this year.

A statement like that is better if we get into the second half of April and nothing has happened.

It is well known the pay increase will happen the last pay period in March or 1st pay period in April.

You don't own a farm.
DaVinci95  
#40 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 4:06:01 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Originally Posted by: King_Fed Go to Quoted Post

It is well known the pay increase will happen the last pay period in March or 1st pay period in April.

Something that hasn't happened and isn't guaranteed to happen can't be "well known". You could say that it is "widely expected" to happen in late March/early April. However, what is "well known" is that Trump is a petulant man-child prone to flying off the rails when he doesn't get his way, and it would not be out of character for him to drag his feet on issuing the EO until later in the year.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed