Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

41 Pages«<3334353637>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RN94509  
#681 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 6:39:17 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: judge Go to Quoted Post
Just had my phone interview and was looking forward to starting until my interviewer mentioned that the job will require 5 weeks of training, most likely out of state at a major training center, e.g. odgen, atlanta.

I didn't want to press this too far to make it seem like it would be a problem and have the interviewers write me off right then and there but how the heck can the average person be expected to just disappear for 5 weeks?

The job is ideal for me but my wife is disabled and home bound and leaving the state for any length of time is a logistic ordeal.

Wondering if there's any chance of an accommodation? Perhaps breaking up the training into smaller segments. I was told that since there is such a large hiring, the training will be at a regional training center.

Just my luck after years of applying for a federal job I'll get offered a position I can't take.

Hoping some current RO's can shed some light on how these extended training sessions work.

Thanks

Take your wife with you. I dont believe they bunk you with anyone else. Treat it like a vacation. If there is a will there is a way. Our medical benefits are really good (if you pick the right plan). Ultimately if you get a offer, you will regret turning it down. Not only is GS 11 pay pretty good, the pay you can get after leaving the IRS as a RO or RA can be rather good.

RN94509  
#682 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 6:59:02 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: federalgovtjobseeker Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post
Stop trying to find logic in management decisions.

If you expect to find logic you’ll always be disappointed.

I do have to say, I try to find logic in everything that happens to me, so I am realizing through this job posting, that isn't possible with this process as far as management decisions. Oh well. I will enjoy the ride!

I strongly suggest you break that habit if you get a job. Your irms will be your logic. You will have POA'S try to get you to do things based on logic that they know you shouldn't do. while I'm not a ro nor do I think I'd take the RO if offered since I got the RA. But I'm pretty sure this is a universal requirement at the IRS. IRS employees dont make the laws, nor do we pass the Regs*. We just get asked to enforce them.

* some IRS employees do help write the Treasury regs but not in these positions
JazzyTea1008  
#683 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 8:29:34 PM(UTC)
JazzyTea1008

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I suggest you develop a big tolerance to ‘hurry up and wait’.. 4 weeks is nothing

Hey Scottyd27,

I saw that you mentioned that you and I have the same POD. I have a question....will I have to pay for parking on the days that I drive to downtown Miami? I know that the IRS will pay for public transportation services. I live a hour out and I am trying to figure out the best way to commute by weighing pros and cons.
cooljul  
#684 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:17:43 AM(UTC)
cooljul

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JazzyTea1008 Go to Quoted Post
I suggest you develop a big tolerance to ‘hurry up and wait’.. 4 weeks is nothing

Hey Scottyd27,

I saw that you mentioned that you and I have the same POD. I have a question....will I have to pay for parking on the days that I drive to downtown Miami? I know that the IRS will pay for public transportation services. I live a hour out and I am trying to figure out the best way to commute by weighing pros and cons.

have you looked into the brightline train? I think the station is right across the street from the IRS building in downtown miami.
thanks 1 user thanked cooljul for this useful post.
JazzyTea1008 on 3/14/2019(UTC)
scottyd27  
#685 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:44:08 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 86 post(s)

Hey Scottyd27,

Yes. The POD is right in Govt center.

Parking is expensive (except for me ima. Disabled vet). I park in the county lot across the street from the office. But it’s expensive no matter we’re you park.

If you live in the greater Miami area l, on days you work the office take the metro rail.

The new Brigh-line rail is right by the office but I think it’s to expensive. IRS will pay for your metro rail pass. I forget how much it is.

And tomorrow is my last day in the POD. I am transferring.

But to answer your question. No, on office days they won’t cover your parking.

Edited by user Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:47:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
LadyJ98!  
#686 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:46:42 AM(UTC)
LadyJ98!

United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jj62 Go to Quoted Post
Judge,
Hi there, I'm a current applicant in the process for R/O. I had the phone interview and asked specifically about the training. I was told that, different than years past, that the training would be broken up into "2-2-3-2 week segments, with a month first in your POD to acclimate. First 2 week away training scheduled for JUNE. Everything is tentative though." I am on the West Coast.
Hope this helps, hang in there.

I spoke with an HR rep and was given the same info about the training time frame 2-2-3-2. He also stated that the way things are looking, you may be trained at the POD that you’re assigned to.

Edited by user Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:58:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked LadyJ98! for this useful post.
judge on 3/14/2019(UTC)
CPAHopefull  
#687 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 11:15:16 AM(UTC)
CPAHopefull

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Folks in Atlanta - be on the lookout for a call for an interview. I got one this week - they are interviewing through the 22nd I believe. I applied as an external, and was rated Category A.

I went ahead and did the interview, though after the last government shutdown I have to admit I am a little uneasy about going back to work for the federal government. My last position was as a Contact Representative for the IRS - and the last one hit us right in the middle of training. I received an offer in the private sector in the interim and took it (resigning from the IRS at that time), as my manager didn't even know if we were going to be able to have enough training to be certified for anything during tax season.

Edited by user Thursday, March 14, 2019 11:21:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked CPAHopefull for this useful post.
tinyfrog on 3/14/2019(UTC)
tinyfrog  
#688 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 11:35:34 AM(UTC)
tinyfrog

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sounds like PODs are moving at their own paces, does anyone know if that is related to them being in the first or second wave (I thought there was a hiring date in April and one for August)? Do we have any way of knowing where PODs in our area are on the timeline, I’ve not heard anything from the New York City area PODs?
CPAHopefull  
#689 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 11:41:26 AM(UTC)
CPAHopefull

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Ah - good question. I will add that I made it in time for the first cutoff, so if hired I would be starting in April.
JazzyTea1008  
#690 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 12:25:21 PM(UTC)
JazzyTea1008

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: tinyfrog Go to Quoted Post
Sounds like PODs are moving at their own paces, does anyone know if that is related to them being in the first or second wave (I thought there was a hiring date in April and one for August)? Do we have any way of knowing where PODs in our area are on the timeline, I’ve not heard anything from the New York City area PODs?

From what I have noticed no one has heard from the NYC area. I applied in Queens but I have not heard one thing. I’ve had 8 interviews offered from this announcement and not one of those were for the POD’s that I applied for in the Northeastern region. However, I was offered interviews in Atlanta, Plantation, Las Vegas, Nashville, Baltimore, Dallas, Houston, Jacksonville, Houston and Miami in early December. I declined a few but it seems all of those POD’s (and others except NYC area) are moving on to externals that submitted apps before the second cutoff date.
JazzyTea1008  
#691 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 12:30:09 PM(UTC)
JazzyTea1008

Woman
United States

I will also add that the cutoff dates don’t necessarily correlate with the start dates at this point. Remember...this is the IRS and the shutdown has all the start dates screwed up. I would think that anyone who interviews, at minimum, 2-3 weeks prior to the April 15th start date has a chance of getting that start date regardless of when they applied.....especially if vets and other applicants are declining positions. Esp

Edited by user Thursday, March 14, 2019 12:32:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Boboddy  
#692 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 1:29:40 PM(UTC)
Boboddy

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)

From what I have noticed no one has heard from the NYC area. I applied in Queens but I have not heard one thing. I’ve had 8 interviews offered from this announcement and not one of those were for the POD’s that I applied for in the Northeastern region. However, I was offered interviews in Atlanta, Plantation, Las Vegas, Nashville, Baltimore, Dallas, Houston, Jacksonville, Houston and Miami in early December. I declined a few but it seems all of those POD’s (and others except NYC area) are moving on to externals that submitted apps before the second cutoff date.

If you look at the internal posting, they list the number of open positions per POD. It looks like NYC/NJ wasn't hiring very heavily at all -- all POD openings were in the single digits.
scottyd27  
#693 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 1:43:19 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

I will also add that the cutoff dates don’t necessarily correlate with the start dates at this point. Remember...this is the IRS and the shutdown has all the start dates screwed up. I would think that anyone who interviews, at minimum, 2-3 weeks prior to the April 15th start date has a chance of getting that start date regardless of when they applied.....especially if vets and other applicants are declining positions. Esp

April 15 is the start date for internals.

April 29 is the start date for externals.
thanks 1 user thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
tinyfrog  
#694 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 1:54:26 PM(UTC)
tinyfrog

United States

Thanks for your perspective, it sounds like you would have heard from the NYC region if they were interviewing, I wish I could be more flexible and apply elsewhere but I am pretty much rooted in the Northeast.
tinyfrog  
#695 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 1:57:34 PM(UTC)
tinyfrog

United States

Originally Posted by: Boboddy Go to Quoted Post

If you look at the internal posting, they list the number of open positions per POD. It looks like NYC/NJ wasn't hiring very heavily at all -- all POD openings were in the single digits.

Unfortunately the entire Northeast seems very light with most PODs having 4 or less openings and there not being a lot of PODs in the first place.
scottyd27  
#696 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:23:18 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

The northeast got a lot of hires in 2016.
jj62  
#697 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:50:12 PM(UTC)
jj62

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: mschilli1977 Go to Quoted Post
I would not worry about more than one interview. The country is in a good job market right now, so what you may see happen is people who would have gotten an offer refuse the POD. I know this happened in my area. I also heard that all the vets turned down the job, so the TM basically has to start over with interviewing.

Why are Veterans inclined to turn down this job more than the general applicant pool?
RN94509  
#698 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 6:28:52 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: jj62 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mschilli1977 Go to Quoted Post
I would not worry about more than one interview. The country is in a good job market right now, so what you may see happen is people who would have gotten an offer refuse the POD. I know this happened in my area. I also heard that all the vets turned down the job, so the TM basically has to start over with interviewing.

Why are Veterans inclined to turn down this job more than the general applicant pool?

I am hoping they are turning down the position because they are getting better offers. But the reality of another government shutdown is probably a factor. But I'm not a vet, so I am just speculating.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
jj62 on 3/15/2019(UTC)
scottyd27  
#699 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 6:30:07 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

The economy is good. A lot of civilian company’s will give veterans preference. When the shutdown occurred a lot of my brothers and sister got other offers.

Which is why people are getting invitations to take the rosa
thanks 2 users thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
jj62 on 3/15/2019(UTC), DealAjani on 3/15/2019(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker  
#700 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 11:16:00 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
For anyone still waiting on being referred who got their category rating already, I just got referred to my third location, which wasn't even one of my preferred locations. I won't say which locations I have been referred to for privacy reasons, but I just thought I should update this forum. It also had only 4 spots available for this position. I am external so I don't have an inside scoop, but I would guess that this means there are multiple locations like this so if there weren't many spots at a location you applied to, don't worry. Just seems like certain locations have different timelines the way they are referring. As many experienced posters here have said, have patience and just go with the flow.
thanks 2 users thanked federalgovtjobseeker for this useful post.
DealAjani on 3/15/2019(UTC), LizzieB on 3/15/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed