Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
slowpoke  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2019 3:13:26 PM(UTC)
slowpoke

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 142 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Anyone apply to the new credit union examiner positions that close on 3/13? Any Credit union examiners on here want to tell us how this job is? Pros/cons?
Texas  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 4:52:54 PM(UTC)
Texas

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: slowpoke Go to Quoted Post
Anyone apply to the new credit union examiner positions that close on 3/13? Any Credit union examiners on here want to tell us how this job is? Pros/cons?

I applied and am anxious for it to close to see where this goes. Hoping one or more credit union examiners on here see your question and reply. I'm very interested to hear pros/cons.
slowpoke  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 4:58:02 PM(UTC)
slowpoke

United States

Was thanked: 142 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Texas Go to Quoted Post

I applied and am anxious for it to close to see where this goes. Hoping one or more credit union examiners on here see your question and reply. I'm very interested to hear pros/cons.

Most of what I can find online via reviews are relatively negative regarding travel requirements, etc. I hope some current or former examiners can give an opinion of the job.
TheRealOrange  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 4:10:13 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 106 post(s)

The NCUA is a totally separate agency from the FDIC, so while you may get some NCUA examiners reading and responding in this forum, it's not likely. For what it's worth, all federal financial institution examiner jobs require near constant travel. While some agencies allow work from home or other locations (e.g., hotel) while not actually performing in the institutions, there is still more than simply "frequent" travel. The travel requirements are almost always listed as the biggest "con" associated with the job.
SoylentGreen  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 8:09:47 AM(UTC)
SoylentGreen

United States

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 31 post(s)

I'm not sure NCUA has its own forum, so I'll respond here for now.

I just got a TO from NCUA for an examiner position. I'm a little chapped these positions showed up now, because there are better locations in this announcement for me than the prior announcement in November that I am getting hired under. Such is life.

I do not have a start date yet, but from talking to HR I will probably start April 15 or 29. It is similar to an FDIC examiner position. NCUA regulates credit unions, and FDIC primarily regulates state-chartered banks that are NOT member of the Federal Reserve, although they have backup authority on any institution that is covered by the FDIC insurance fund. My dad is a retired FDIC examiner, so I know a little bit more than the average new hire (precious little).

The position requires a lot of travel, and that travel normally is not glamorous. NCUA gives a bonus for examiners that stay out of town on examinations more than 50 nights per year. My supervisor-to-be says that the norm in our area is between 40 and 90 nights per year. FDIC has a similar bonus for its examiners (they call it the Golden Suitcase). Realize that much of this travel is often to small towns and you stay in hotels that are not five-star. That is the largest issue that most people have with the examiner job, and that is that the travel is hard on people. It can be good for a single person (like me), but tough on families.

NCUA also does not have field offices (FDIC DOES have FOs), so if you are not working on an exam at the credit union or training in Alexandria, then you are teleworking from home.

The people I talked to at NCUA love their job. Same goes with FDIC. FDIC is consistently ranked one of the top 5 places to work in the government for midsize agencies. NCUA was just above the middle of the pack in 2018.
thanks 2 users thanked SoylentGreen for this useful post.
slowpoke on 3/15/2019(UTC), Texas on 3/17/2019(UTC)
USMC03  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 7:33:49 PM(UTC)
USMC03

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I applied for the one that recently closed about two weeks or so anyone else?

I have to take the written exam how is it?

Pros and cons of the job
Rss Feed  Atom Feed