Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

39 Pages«<36373839>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hired 2015  
#741 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2019 11:11:32 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Recently a newspaper had a series called what happened to us that explored the lives of one grade school class from the 1970s over the decades of reforms. It changed the dialog and reached past the echelon of the bailiwick to an uncomfortable truth.

While its all fresh in your memory write down your own experiences of what happened to us.
caligurl0222  
#742 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2019 8:41:01 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Question about W2s
Is our W2 going to be off due to the furlough? For example if your yearly salary is $68,000, but your W2 is only showing $64,000 because of missing a check, does that check now go on 2019? Even though it's back pay?
For some reason this is confusing me! 🙄🤔
I believe in Laws of Attraction and I attract good things!
No Place Like Home  
#743 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2019 9:09:57 PM(UTC)
No Place Like Home

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: caligurl0222 Go to Quoted Post
Question about W2s
Is our W2 going to be off due to the furlough? For example if your yearly salary is $68,000, but your W2 is only showing $64,000 because of missing a check, does that check now go on 2019? Even though it's back pay?

No they will not be off. The official pay date of the Christmas/New Year weeks have always been in January. The W2 we received are correct. Can look at previous E&L statements and compare them to previous W2 and see.
GWPDA  
#744 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2019 5:51:30 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 404 post(s)
So - how was it for everybody?
LieutenantBlantyre  
#745 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2019 6:19:27 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 177 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Originally Posted by: No Place Like Home Go to Quoted Post
Question about W2s

No they will not be off. The official pay date of the Christmas/New Year weeks have always been in January. The W2 we received are correct. Can look at previous E&L statements and compare them to previous W2 and see.

All I was going to say is that unless you're an accrual basis accounting taxpayer (most individuals are not), they're going to be perfectly fine.
Vinny  
#746 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 7:39:28 AM(UTC)
Vinny

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Question about W2s

The NFC had determined back in November 2017 that the 2018 W-2s for us would include 2017 PP 25 through 2018 PP 25 (which ended Saturday December 22, the first day of the shutdown). The paychecks/direct deposits for 2018 PP 25 were paid as usual.

https://www.nfc.usda.gov...112817-NetSalaryCY18.pdf
LieutenantBlantyre  
#747 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 9:24:54 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Earning & Leave statements are up with the back pay!
thanks 2 users thanked LieutenantBlantyre for this useful post.
MiaW1964 on 1/29/2019(UTC), Vinny on 1/29/2019(UTC)
kitkatma  
#748 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 10:56:50 AM(UTC)
kitkatma

United States

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post

Anyone else notice that the deductions are wrong? Only 1 week of deductions for insurance, allotments and TSP loan repayments. Night differential is also not correct.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#749 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 11:26:55 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: kitkatma Go to Quoted Post

Anyone else notice that the deductions are wrong? Only 1 week of deductions for insurance, allotments and TSP loan repayments. Night differential is also not correct.

E-mail your manager. Fixes can't be put in until the big unlock on Friday.
chriswt25  
#750 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 11:33:19 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)

Not sure, but I am thinking as far as the deductions go, they wouldn't take them because these were entire work weeks of furlough time instead of earned pay time. Of the four weeks they are paying, three were completely furlough time and the last week there were two days where you actually worked. Just a guess.

If that is true, they would make up the deductions out of subsequent pay periods? Either way, payroll is going to be getting a lot of requests for explanations and adjustments going forward

Edited by user Tuesday, January 29, 2019 11:37:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

No Place Like Home  
#751 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 8:32:29 PM(UTC)
No Place Like Home

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 7 post(s)
BACK PAY IN MY ACCOUNT TONIGHT!!!
thanks 1 user thanked No Place Like Home for this useful post.
Jimmy81 on 1/29/2019(UTC)
ironman0786  
#752 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 1:36:38 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post

Not sure, but I am thinking as far as the deductions go, they wouldn't take them because these were entire work weeks of furlough time instead of earned pay time. Of the four weeks they are paying, three were completely furlough time and the last week there were two days where you actually worked. Just a guess.

If that is true, they would make up the deductions out of subsequent pay periods? Either way, payroll is going to be getting a lot of requests for explanations and adjustments going forward

If you read the FAQs that is on The Source, also emailed to us all your questions will be answered. Go to EPP - Debt Management, this is the amount of health insurance so far you will owe, a letter will be mailed out with more information, and as so what options you have to pay it back, yourself or it comes out of a paycheck, it will state which pay period they plan on taking it. TSP was double. Night Diff should also be correct, if its not tell your manager, they need to put in for it to be corrected then.

Pay period 26 did not have its FEHB, BENEFEDS taken out. I don't know about the TSP Loan and other allotments. This was all clearly stated that they would not be withholding because they could not.

Edited by user Wednesday, January 30, 2019 1:39:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Vinny on 1/30/2019(UTC)
Hired 2015  
#753 Posted : Saturday, February 2, 2019 9:49:24 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

E-mail your manager. Fixes can't be put in until the big unlock on Friday.

I always felt one of the requirements for any manager is to actually have to do the entire payroll process from time entries through quarterly filing for one year.

Speaking from experience as a former pay master, payroll processing is much more difficult than it seems. The really talented and skilled payroll people can make it all look like an easy breezy thing. I came up learning payroll when it was most of it was done by hand. You don't want to know the real insider stories of when payroll was automated and how much went wrong.

I see the errs but I get how much of a herculean effort it took to get any payroll out so soon. Many thanks to the payroll people.

thanks 1 user thanked Hired 2015 for this useful post.
Vinny on 2/2/2019(UTC)
Stugs  
#754 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2019 5:19:04 AM(UTC)
Stugs

I'm one of a few returning seasonals who was on self-furlough but called back to work in December to return to duty on 1/7/19. We were unable to return because of the shutdown. Some of us were paid from 1/7 because our PAR actions reflected the date that we were EXPECTED/committed to return to work while some of the Return to duty dates were dated Jan 21 when the shutdown was over and therefore were not paid from the date they were supposed to return (some 1/7/19 some 1/2/19). Does anyone know who gave the directive for the Return to Duty Dates for our PAR Actions? It's not on OPM anywhere.....
LieutenantBlantyre  
#755 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2019 5:29:59 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Stugs Go to Quoted Post
I'm one of a few returning seasonals who was on self-furlough but called back to work in December to return to duty on 1/7/19. We were unable to return because of the shutdown. Some of us were paid from 1/7 because our PAR actions reflected the date that we were EXPECTED/committed to return to work while some of the Return to duty dates were dated Jan 21 when the shutdown was over and therefore were not paid from the date they were supposed to return (some 1/7/19 some 1/2/19). Does anyone know who gave the directive for the Return to Duty Dates for our PAR Actions? It's not on OPM anywhere.....

HCO wasn't fully operable. Not all managers were in. Something probably got dropped on the floor by mistake.

Go talk to NTEU.
Hired 2015  
#756 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 3:57:18 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Follow up federal workers receiving unemployment during the furlough.

My state has begun notifying federal workers they must repay any unemployment received during the furlough giving very little time to make those repayments.

For those like myself that never removed funds from the prepaid unemployment debit cards the state is not willing to reverse those funds for free. They want to charge fees citing federal workers were never eligible for the unemployment because of guaranteed back pay. I applied for just one week of unemployment before back pay was guaranteed.

In my state letters to repay unemployment went out on Feb 1st.
Vinny  
#757 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2019 7:07:14 AM(UTC)
Vinny

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Got my notice from Illinois to repay UE benefits yesterday. Sent my check today and informed my manager (who is in the same boat except his state hasn't contacted him for repayment yet).
Sbakk  
#758 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 7:09:46 PM(UTC)
Sbakk

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Stugs Go to Quoted Post

Hello, did you ever find out? I'm curious because I was also on self furlough with a return to work date of 1/3/2019. I didn't get back pay. I filed a grievance and waiting to see what happens next.
RN94509  
#759 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2019 11:27:45 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 85 post(s)
I hope everyone's saving money, because we are probably looking at another furlough in October. If you save now you dont have to use unemployment and repay it.

You can get a tsp loan and leave 3 or 4 months of Bill's in your savings.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#760 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 3:14:28 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: RN94509 Go to Quoted Post
I hope everyone's saving money, because we are probably looking at another furlough in October. If you save now you dont have to use unemployment and repay it.

You can get a tsp loan and leave 3 or 4 months of Bill's in your savings.

Pessimist! We're not answering the phones now anywhere near the level of service goal. Unless Congress fails to pass the expected full year continuing resolution, we're in for the long haul.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed