Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FSfan  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2019 5:11:28 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

accepted an offer cross country with another agency (going from one DHS sub agency to another DHS sub agency)
relocation not granted. i don't have a problem paying for the move, but since i'm going cross country, would like to have some official time to get things settled....

just wondering if there's any sort of time entitlement when i get to the new post? i know if it's an interagency move, there's usually some sort of time allotted to finish the move?
HR from the new agency seems like hard asses.... if not that my current office is in such a crappy shape, the new agency's HR would have been enough for me to say don't bother....

(going from competitive service to excepted service... not sure if that matters)

GS 14
FatHappyCat  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2019 10:41:39 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 90 post(s)
Generally, I don't see it happening unless the move was directed. You've accepted a position to start on X date and the agency would expect you to be fully ready on X date. Realistically, it's a supervisor's call whether to give you admin time, let you use leave time, or none of the above.

DoD seems to be the exception mainly because every move is directed with orders.
FS0201  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 2:31:30 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 272 time(s) in 237 post(s)
I moved cross country for DOD without PCS, took leave from losing command for move. Another guy, a couple months later, was able to get 40 hours of admin leave time to make the move. Ask and see what happens.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
Endless Summer  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 1:30:51 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post
I moved cross country for DOD without PCS, took leave from losing command for move. Another guy, a couple months later, was able to get 40 hours of admin leave time to make the move. Ask and see what happens.

This is what I did, took leave from my old agency. I found my new command was pretty flexible, understanding that I'd need some time to take care of things. I didn't take 40 hours, but 2-3 hours here and there were fine.
rbr  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 2:25:15 PM(UTC)
rbr

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FSfan Go to Quoted Post
accepted an offer cross country with another agency (going from one DHS sub agency to another DHS sub agency)
relocation not granted. i don't have a problem paying for the move, but since i'm going cross country, would like to have some official time to get things settled....

just wondering if there's any sort of time entitlement when i get to the new post? i know if it's an interagency move, there's usually some sort of time allotted to finish the move?
HR from the new agency seems like hard asses.... if not that my current office is in such a crappy shape, the new agency's HR would have been enough for me to say don't bother....

(going from competitive service to excepted service... not sure if that matters)

The fact that you are already in the federal government makes this difficult. Had you came in off the street, you could have negotiated your start date. Now you will start the new job in a PP transition. You could take annual leave or request admin leave. I would have asked about admin leave when the offer was presented (you'd have more leverage) and before accepting it. As a single person, I have been adept at doing big moves in short periods but its harder if you have a family.
djp  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2019 7:12:34 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 108 post(s)
there is no hard rule on either side giving admin time for moving/relocation if PCS isnt authorized,

Even if PCS was you are not guarenteed admin time to take leave for moving stuff post move like going to the DMV to change licensing, etv,
Rss Feed  Atom Feed