Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
david2019  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2019 10:45:36 AM(UTC)
david2019

Groups: Registered
United States

Two areas in SF86 that need some guidances.

1. A bit frequent move from job to job, one misconduct firing 2015 or two mutual agreement leavings and terminations, etc.
One case: One employer says i did non-work related activities during work hours, forwarding work emails to personal email.

2. Expunged misdemeanor cases (2014, 2015, 2018), paid fines, dismissed, etc. Can list general info but the details of date, charge, agency are not sure and I don't have documents anymore for two of the three

Should I go to local police conduct a background check for those expunged info before answering SF86? Or provide estimated memory?
What is the chance to have in 1. CBP clearance & 2. Secret clearance in Military enlistment?
BackGdInvestigator  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2019 4:44:41 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 80 post(s)
You can try a public request for the information, but otherwise give it the best shot you can from memory.

Your investigator will ask you for more details and corrections if you miss anything.

No one but your adjudicator can tell you if you will "pass" your background investigator.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
david2019 on 4/11/2019(UTC)
FrankJr  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:09:54 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 106 post(s)
Originally Posted by: david2019 Go to Quoted Post

1. A bit frequent move from job to job, one misconduct firing 2015 or two mutual agreement leavings and terminations, etc.
One case: One employer says i did non-work related activities during work hours, forwarding work emails to personal email.

2. Expunged misdemeanor cases (2014, 2015, 2018), paid fines, dismissed, etc. Can list general info but the details of date, charge, agency are not sure and I don't have documents anymore for two of the three

Should I go to local police conduct a background check for those expunged info before answering SF86? Or provide estimated memory?
What is the chance to have in 1. CBP clearance & 2. Secret clearance in Military enlistment?

Research the items to provide correct information. The interview will be long enough without adding incorrect information the the conversation.
thanks 1 user thanked FrankJr for this useful post.
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2019 4:01:01 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 972 time(s) in 773 post(s)
Originally Posted by: david2019 Go to Quoted Post

The items I put in bold are likely to be the biggest hit (depending on the specific of the job moves/terminations/resignation in lieu of termination are about) to your chances. The last arrest/charge is in 2018 and you seem to have a history of issues. Time is a mitigator, but continuous behavior (and did 2016 and 2017 have nothing simply because you weren't caught, or???) raises questions of your judgement, if nothing else, which could impact the risk analysis of giving you a clearance.

But then again it depends on the charges (underage drinking? Maybe not a big deal. Car theft/joy riding? Maybe a bigger issues. Drug use or sales? May be an issue). Some are a bigger issues than others.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
Vlad73  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2019 5:16:31 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
"underage drinking? Maybe not a big deal."

They look for patterns and continuing behavior. They need to show that you have an ongoing problem that shows little or no mitigation. If you were cited several times in a few short years for alcohol or drug offenses the fact they were expunged may not matter at all but rather that you were in fact charged several times which means you did not learn from past instances which makes you appear unreliable.
frankgonzalez  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 3:40:34 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 972 time(s) in 773 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Vlad73 Go to Quoted Post
"underage drinking? Maybe not a big deal."

They look for patterns and continuing behavior. They need to show that you have an ongoing problem that shows little or no mitigation. If you were cited several times in a few short years for alcohol or drug offenses the fact they were expunged may not matter at all but rather that you were in fact charged several times which means you did not learn from past instances which makes you appear unreliable.
I had a troop who got busted the night before his 21st birthday for underage drinking. Thing is, he had arrived less than a month earlier from his first duty assignment in Germany..where he could legally drink. The action taken on the Monday by our Sq CC was "Don't drink underage again!" So context is important.

The issue I see is 3 arrests in 5 years. Without knowing what they were (they could have started as felonies, but pleaded down to misdemeanors...which raises even more questions if this occurred), we can only guess the impact of these. They could be 3 unrelated issues (ie reckless driving at 19, underage drinking at 20 and public disturbance for getting in a shouting match with a neighbor at 22), and so there is nothing in common except poor judgment each time (maybe). Or they could be all related (alcohol incidents) and so require greater scrutiny.

Of course, our guesses are based on years of being in the world needing a clearance and seeing lots of examples of where things like this threw a spanner in the process.

Edited by user Monday, April 15, 2019 3:44:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
david2019 on 4/17/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed