Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

66 Pages«<4950515253>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
goblue1221  
#1001 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2019 7:21:31 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: G0v123 Go to Quoted Post
Current RA here. Hired on externally in previous hire. I've seen a few external applicants concerned about possible pay cuts. Depending on your qualifications, you may be able to get hired in at a higher step. When I received the offer, I asked the HCO contact if the agency would consider bringing me in at a higher step in the pay grade that was closer to my current salary of $xx at the time. The request was approved. It doesn't hurt to ask (once you have an offer & this should be addressed with HCO not the managers you're interviewing with).

From OPM website:
Superior Qualifications and Special Needs Pay-Setting Authority
An agency may use the superior qualifications and special needs pay-setting authority to set pay for an employee newly-appointed to a GS position above step 1 (up to step 10) because of the superior qualifications of the candidate or a special need of the agency for the candidate’s services. 5 CFR 531.212

https://www.opm.gov/poli...cruitment-and-retention/

This is good to know. I heard this opportunity exists, which is the only reason I applied. I wonder in what instances they’ll step up to a higher step. I applied for a GS 14 position as well. It sounds like an RA/Training type of a role. That one hasn’t progressed yet. We are having a baby in a couple of weeks. I’d rather not take a massive pay hit. Even the grade 11 step 10 level is pushing it for someone who has been in public for 7 years. I was a 9 a long ways back before leaving for public.

Edited by user Sunday, April 14, 2019 7:23:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

N.E.R.D.  
#1002 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2019 7:37:08 PM(UTC)
N.E.R.D.

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: goblue1221 Go to Quoted Post
Tax season is over!!!! Well pretty much. Sorry, had to let that out. What a torcherous last few weeks. I don’t remember it ever being that bad. I need out...and to catch up on this thread.

Lol this season was the WORST at my job and to top it all off I have a supervisor who loves to do everything at the very last minute so Monday will definitely not be a good Monday for me as we will be scrambling to get estimated tax payments in the mail before the end of the day. I am fed up...
RN94509  
#1003 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2019 10:09:06 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Tax season is over!!!! Well pretty much. Sorry, had to let that out. What a torcherous last few weeks. I don’t remember it ever being that bad. I need out...and to catch up on this thread.

If you get a job at the IRS you'll come to realize Tax season never ends. No joke, its busy year round. From extensions to Fiscal year filers,to quarterlies. There is always something.
The Man  
#1004 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 2:45:34 AM(UTC)
The Man

United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Current RA here. Hired on externally in previous hire. I've seen a few external applicants concerned about possible pay cuts. Depending on your qualifications, you may be able to get hired in at a higher step. When I received the offer, I asked the HCO contact if the agency would consider bringing me in at a higher step in the pay grade that was closer to my current salary of $xx at the time. The request was approved. It doesn't hurt to ask (once you have an offer & this should be addressed with HCO not the managers you're interviewing with).

From OPM website:
An agency may use the superior qualifications and special needs pay-setting authority to set pay for an employee newly-appointed to a GS position above step 1 (up to step 10) because of the superior qualifications of the candidate or a special need of the agency for the candidate’s services. 5 CFR 531.212

This is good to know. I heard this opportunity exists, which is the only reason I applied. I wonder in what instances they’ll step up to a higher step. I applied for a GS 14 position as well. It sounds like an RA/Training type of a role. That one hasn’t progressed yet. We are having a baby in a couple of weeks. I’d rather not take a massive pay hit. Even the grade 11 step 10 level is pushing it for someone who has been in public for 7 years. I was a 9 a long ways back before leaving for public.

GoBlue1221, sorry to say but if you want the job your going to take the massive pay cut !. Currently you don't have to compete for a grade 12, however there are plenty of people from the last hire years ago that are 12's. A grade 13 is almost non existent in the current climate. Most groups have maxed out grade 13's, so until people retire and budgets improve, no one is getting grade 13. You'll be stuck at grade 12 pay for quite some time. That's jut how it is currently.

Also for all those that got CAT B. They didn't have enough applicants apply that rated CAT A and had to dip into CAT B in order to meet the interview requirements of 3-4 people per position.

Best of luck to you.
thanks 2 users thanked The Man for this useful post.
N.E.R.D. on 4/15/2019(UTC), Tbshd98 on 4/15/2019(UTC)
Tbshd98  
#1005 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 5:31:36 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The Man Go to Quoted Post

From OPM website:

GoBlue1221, sorry to say but if you want the job your going to take the massive pay cut !. Currently you don't have to compete for a grade 12, however there are plenty of people from the last hire years ago that are 12's. A grade 13 is almost non existent in the current climate. Most groups have maxed out grade 13's, so until people retire and budgets improve, no one is getting grade 13. You'll be stuck at grade 12 pay for quite some time. That's jut how it is currently.

Also for all those that got CAT B. They didn't have enough applicants apply that rated CAT A and had to dip into CAT B in order to meet the interview requirements of 3-4 people per position.

Best of luck to you.

Do CAT A applicants still have preference over CAT B applicants if the interviews are substantially similar? Or do the category ratings get wiped out once the interviews start?
talkback  
#1006 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 7:07:34 AM(UTC)
talkback

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tbshd98 Go to Quoted Post

From OPM website:

Best of luck to you.

Do CAT A applicants still have preference over CAT B applicants if the interviews are substantially similar? Or do the category ratings get wiped out once the interviews start?

Based on info from the previous posts from this thread I would say yes the CAT ranks still matter. The overall evaluation is based on your resume, the assessment and the interview.
thanks 1 user thanked talkback for this useful post.
Tbshd98 on 4/15/2019(UTC)
Funtik  
#1007 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 8:19:32 AM(UTC)
Funtik

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: talkback Go to Quoted Post

From OPM website:

Best of luck to you.

Based on info from the previous posts from this thread I would say yes the CAT ranks still matter. The overall evaluation is based on your resume, the assessment and the interview.

I dont think people interviewing me looked at my resume. They were surprised when I told them I was a CPA even though its clearly on my resume...next to my name.
Further, I was placed into GS7 while I have 5 years of accounting experience, CPA and masters.

Edited by user Monday, April 15, 2019 8:21:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

talkback  
#1008 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 8:27:07 AM(UTC)
talkback

United States

Originally Posted by: theilya Go to Quoted Post

From OPM website:

Best of luck to you.

I dont think people interviewing me looked at my resume. They were surprised when I told them I was a CPA even though its clearly on my resume...next to my name.
Further, I was placed into GS7 while I have 5 years of accounting experience, CPA and masters.

There seems to be a lot of misplacement for sure. Some individuals on here later figured out or guessed that was based on answers they selected. It could also just be a flawed system. You definitely should have qualified for at least 9.

The interviewers definitely did not have our resumes in front of them. They were clearly only asking the questions. I would say the resume review happened before the interview and after the RAE. Once all three are done then the final evaluation is the next step.

This is just based on my own experience (and info given by my interviewer) with this process, and information that I gathered from other posts in this very large thread.

Edited by user Monday, April 15, 2019 8:28:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: i cannot english

N.E.R.D.  
#1009 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 8:30:06 AM(UTC)
N.E.R.D.

United States

I think they are scrambling to get the first wave of hiring over with. I was first scheduled for today and now I'm scheduled for tomorrow for an interview. I accepted the interview for tomorrow since it was at a location closer to my home than the first scheduled interview. I'm applying for the Atlanta location.

Here is part of the first email:

"You previously applied for a revenue agent position with Internal Revenue Service. We would like to conduct an interview with you April 15, 2019 at XX:00 p.m. Please confirm by email that you will participate as scheduled. If you are no longer interested, please reply to this email stating that you wish to decline the interview and is no longer interested We understand that this may be short notice for you, however, we have a short timeframe to complete our interview process and sincerely apologize. If you have questions or need additional information, please let me know ASAP, via email."

I believe the Atlanta location did not have a huge pool of applicants since there is someone else on this thread who is in Cat B that was contacted for an interview. I am Cat A.

Edited by user Monday, April 15, 2019 8:31:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jj62  
#1010 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 8:32:00 AM(UTC)
jj62

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RN94509 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: HopefullinNY Go to Quoted Post
What location is that?

Southern California

Just confirming . . . you were hired as an internal for the Revenue Agent position in a So Cal POD? I'm trying to find out if any external Revenue Officers positions were filled in SO CAL starting April 29th.
No info on that thread . . .

talkback  
#1011 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 8:36:06 AM(UTC)
talkback

United States

Originally Posted by: NerdRedd Go to Quoted Post
I think they are scrambling to get the first wave of hiring over with. I was first scheduled for today and now I'm scheduled for tomorrow for an interview. I accepted the interview for tomorrow since it was at a location closer to my home than the first scheduled interview. I'm applying for the Atlanta location.

"You previously applied for a revenue agent position with Internal Revenue Service. We would like to conduct an interview with you April 15, 2019 at XX:00 p.m. Please confirm by email that you will participate as scheduled. If you are no longer interested, please reply to this email stating that you wish to decline the interview and is no longer interested We understand that this may be short notice for you, however, we have a short timeframe to complete our interview process and sincerely apologize. If you have questions or need additional information, please let me know ASAP, via email."

I believe the Atlanta location did not have a huge pool of applicants since there is someone else on this thread who is in Cat B that was contacted for an interview. I am Cat A.

Good luck!

My interview was 4 hours from my home. (I am relocating hopefully) and they already scheduled me for the wrong office (somehow they thought a 4 hour drive was better than a 3 hour drive) but I did not argue. Then they tried to reschedule when I was halfway there because of weather. I still went and drove through some rain.

N.E.R.D.  
#1012 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 8:59:00 AM(UTC)
N.E.R.D.

United States

Good luck!

My interview was 4 hours from my home. (I am relocating hopefully) and they already scheduled me for the wrong office (somehow they thought a 4 hour drive was better than a 3 hour drive) but I did not argue. Then they tried to reschedule when I was halfway there because of weather. I still went and drove through some rain.

Thanks! I hope the interview went well for you. They are really all over the place right now and judging by the poor grammar and punctuation in the email that was sent to me, I shouldn't be intimidated at all lol... I'm just ready to get it over with and see if I can negotiate the salary.
N.E.R.D.  
#1013 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 9:08:33 AM(UTC)
N.E.R.D.

United States

Originally Posted by: slowpoke Go to Quoted Post
I would think not knowing ethics, basics of accounting or being able to explain why you need to pay your tax no matter the excuse would be deal breakers. But then again if you applied in hard to fill PODs they need warm bodies to sit in Wyoming and Montana too. I would think they would take who they could get. So who knows.

They will leave a position open before putting a unethical person in it. They would offer a detail to try and fill it.

I do agree with you there just saying I have seen some people who could barely tie their shoes get promoted out of AM into remote areas (WY, MT, SD, ND) mostly as intake associates.

Does an RA get a typical office or a cubicle? A cubicle is a deal breaker for me...
Nathan Drake  
#1014 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 9:11:04 AM(UTC)
Nathan Drake

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Does an RA get a typical office or a cubicle? A cubicle is a deal breaker for me...

When I previously worked for the IRS, RA's only worked in cubicles. Managers had offices.
thanks 1 user thanked Nathan Drake for this useful post.
N.E.R.D. on 4/15/2019(UTC)
N.E.R.D.  
#1015 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 9:21:08 AM(UTC)
N.E.R.D.

United States

Originally Posted by: Nathan Drake Go to Quoted Post

When I previously worked for the IRS, RA's only worked in cubicles. Managers had offices.

Oh wow I don't like cubicles at all! I've always had my own personal office and at one time my own personal bathroom in my office lol. I might just stay where I am. I'll slightly ask about it tomorrow at the interview.
dec10  
#1016 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 9:34:26 AM(UTC)
dec10

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Is there any indication of how our resumes were ranked so far? When we received the email stating ‘superior qualified- cat a’, this was only based on the assessment not resume/application?

Another question, if you applied for 7,9,11 and got cat A for all and lets say did well on the interview then how would they figure out which grade they hire you as? Are you automatically 11 if you pass interview or will they look through resume, etc again and make a decision?
N.E.R.D.  
#1017 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 9:39:49 AM(UTC)
N.E.R.D.

United States

Originally Posted by: dec10 Go to Quoted Post
Is there any indication of how our resumes were ranked so far? When we received the email stating ‘superior qualified- cat a’, this was only based on the assessment not resume/application?

Another question, if you applied for 7,9,11 and got cat A for all and lets say did well on the interview then how would they figure out which grade they hire you as? Are you automatically 11 if you pass interview or will they look through resume, etc again and make a decision?

From what I understand, your assessment score holds more weight than your resume. Your resume is used to determine which grades you are eligible for, so if you have been deemed eligible for all grades, you should only focus on the highest one. I'm pretty sure if you do well on the interview, you will be given the highest grade that you qualify for. I received Cat A for all but after they reviewed my resume, I was only eligible for grade 9.
thanks 1 user thanked N.E.R.D. for this useful post.
dec10 on 4/15/2019(UTC)
RN94509  
#1018 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 9:55:15 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jj62 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: HopefullinNY Go to Quoted Post
What location is that?

Southern California

Just confirming . . . you were hired as an internal for the Revenue Agent position in a So Cal POD? I'm trying to find out if any external Revenue Officers positions were filled in SO CAL starting April 29th.
No info on that thread . . .

Yes it was internal. If I get the northern California external there will be a so cal slot open up.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
jj62 on 4/15/2019(UTC)
slowpoke  
#1019 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 9:55:51 AM(UTC)
slowpoke

United States

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Just got back from my interview. I hope I did okay. I was nervous and fumbled a couple of questions. I was told my interview was for only one location. So we will see. My interviewer didn't say when I would hear back but did say the job would start 6/24.

Edited by user Monday, April 15, 2019 9:57:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

N.E.R.D.  
#1020 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 9:57:08 AM(UTC)
N.E.R.D.

United States

Just got back from my interview. I hope I did okay. I was nervous and fumbled a couple of questions. Do we will see. My interviewer didn't say when I would hear back but did say it would start 6/24.

Did your interview consist of the same 7 questions like the others here? Are you internal or external?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed