Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

438 Pages«<435436437438>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KpMd  
#8721 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 7:23:15 AM(UTC)
KpMd

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I had my phone interview this morning for the Arlington, VA, Potomac Service Center (GS-5 only). It was a short interview and I think I did okay but I’m a little worried because I mistakenly thought THEY were going to call ME. So I was sitting there patiently waiting at my scheduled time, wondering why they were late. After waiting almost ten minutes, I re-read the email and it dawned on me that I was supposed to call in to them and enter the passcode provided. I don’t know HOW I missed that!! I was really embarrassed and upset at myself, but all I could do was apologize and try to hit a home run with my interview. I really hope it didn’t hurt my chances. Has this happened to anyone else and if so, can you offer any advice? Any new Arlington interviewees?
PrimaDawna  
#8722 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 9:23:07 AM(UTC)
PrimaDawna

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KpMd Go to Quoted Post
I had my phone interview this morning for the Arlington, VA, Potomac Service Center (GS-5 only). It was a short interview and I think I did okay but I’m a little worried because I mistakenly thought THEY were going to call ME. So I was sitting there patiently waiting at my scheduled time, wondering why they were late. After waiting almost ten minutes, I re-read the email and it dawned on me that I was supposed to call in to them and enter the passcode provided. I don’t know HOW I missed that!! I was really embarrassed and upset at myself, but all I could do was apologize and try to hit a home run with my interview. I really hope it didn’t hurt my chances. Has this happened to anyone else and if so, can you offer any advice? Any new Arlington interviewees?

I had my interview last week for Arlington and it was pretty simple.

I do not think they will hold it against you that you were late for the call in. It is a pretty common mistake I would think.
thanks 1 user thanked PrimaDawna for this useful post.
KpMd on 4/10/2019(UTC)
KpMd  
#8723 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 10:57:18 AM(UTC)
KpMd

United States

Originally Posted by: PrimaDawna Go to Quoted Post

I had my interview last week for Arlington and it was pretty simple.

I do not think they will hold it against you that you were late for the call in. It is a pretty common mistake I would think.

I sure hope not! Thanks for helping to ease my mind.

ucscla19  
#8724 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:48:19 PM(UTC)
ucscla19

United States

Question about references:

I was told that references would be contacted after interviews have been completed. Do they check references for every interviewee? Or only for their final selection candidate?

Also - do you guys know if they will send you a tentative job offer before they contact your references? Or they will contact your immediate supervisor before making a job offer?

I wanted to know this to make sure my references are available right away. I'm concerned if they are unable to reach references if they would skip giving you an offer.

Please share what you know about this process. I thought it was standard to make a tentative job offer pending reference and background check but it may be different with USCIS?
Hhex87  
#8725 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 7:20:45 PM(UTC)
Hhex87

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ucscla19 Go to Quoted Post
Question about references:

I was told that references would be contacted after interviews have been completed. Do they check references for every interviewee? Or only for their final selection candidate?

Also - do you guys know if they will send you a tentative job offer before they contact your references? Or they will contact your immediate supervisor before making a job offer?

I wanted to know this to make sure my references are available right away. I'm concerned if they are unable to reach references if they would skip giving you an offer.

Please share what you know about this process. I thought it was standard to make a tentative job offer pending reference and background check but it may be different with USCIS?

Here's my experience on this topic, I summited my sf 86 on March 13 for ISO 1 and I haven't been asked to provide any references. I work daily with my references from my USAjob application and they have told me that they haven't contacted either... I would of felt alot better if I knew they have been contacted, it would of made me think my EOD is coming close. I read here that they been asked for references before or after the interview or before or after they get the tentative offer...
HurryUpAndWait29  
#8726 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 2:18:09 PM(UTC)
HurryUpAndWait29

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: HurryUpAndWait29 Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

Finally, here is my USCIS ISO 1 timeline:

Immigration Services Officer Level 1 position GS-9, Field Office; DHS employees only applicants

Opened: 12/10/18

Applied: 12/15/18

Online assessment completed: 12/15/18

Closed: 12/19/18

Referred: 01/04/19, received two referrals at different times but same day.

Contacted for a phone interview: 01/15/19, I missed the first phone call so I called HROC and left a voicemail. They called me back the same day.

Phone Interview: 01/17/19

Completed Writing sample: 01/17/19, immediately after the interview.

References contacted: 01/17/19, and 01/18/19. I received an email requesting for an updated contact numbers for my references. I replied that same day. They contacted three of my references but one of my references (previous supervisor) missed the call and wasn’t contacted again.

Tentative Offer: 02/11/19

Accepted Offer: 02/11/19

Submitted OF-306: 02/11/19

Acceptance acknowledged: 02/12/19

Drug screening requested: 02/19/19

e-QIP/SF-86/paperwork/fingerprints requested: 02/19/19

Drug screening paperwork submitted: 02/21/19

e-QIP/SF-86/paperwork submitted/fingerprints mailed: 02/21/19

Fingerprints received by agency via mail: 02/25/19

Contacted OSI: 03/13/19 (20th day), I received a response within 20 mins that my case is still pending an EOD determination.

PSA notification to start pre-appointment screening: 03/16/19

PSA contacted me for additional information: 03/20/19; replied the next day 03/21/19

Requested to resubmit e-QIP/SF-86: 03/21/19

Resubmitted e-QIP/SF-86: 03/22/19

PSA received my e-QIP/SF-86 and sent it to the PSS for decision: 03/22/19

Interim clearance/EOD suitability approved: 03/25/19

Firm/Final Offer/EOD Offer: 03/25/19

Accepted EOD Offer: 03/25/19

EOD start date: 04/28/19

I hope this serves helpful for those who need inspiration/guidance during their federal hiring process. There will be ups and down during your journey, but having patience, persistence and resilience are essential in landing a federal job.

Good luck and may the odds ever be in your favor!

** Update **

EOD Offer: 03/25/19

Both Agencies approved chosen EOD date: 03/29/19

Requested Form G-1234, Probationary Period Requirement/Submitted same day: 03/29/19

Agency received Form G-1234: 03/31/19

New supervisor contacted me: 04/11/19

Final Offer and reporting instructions: 04/12/19

EOD date: 04/28/19

First day: 04/29/19

** Update **
thanks 1 user thanked HurryUpAndWait29 for this useful post.
Hhex87 on 4/13/2019(UTC)
ucscla19  
#8727 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2019 2:23:13 PM(UTC)
ucscla19

United States

Just an update: My interview went well (4/09), completed writing sample the same day. I sent the panel a thank you email the next day. I was contacted via phone to ensure that my references completed questions via email (reference check) before noon 4/12 as they told me they would be making a final selection by noon. I was notified that my references submitted the references before the deadline. I did not ask how I would be contacted to be notified if I was selected or not. The usajobs does not show an update on my application and I was not reached via phone or email to start the job offer process on 4/12.

Do they normally just send an tentative job offer letter via email before contacting you via phone to tell you that they intend to offer you the job? From what it appears on this forum, it takes about two weeks to find out the status? Should I check in with the person I have had contact throughout just to know when I should expect to know the results? Or just patiently wait for the update via the usajobs or email?

I am really looking forward to this job and definitely have been praying that I will get the offer soon! I know the background check will take some time.
Hhex87  
#8728 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2019 8:09:49 PM(UTC)
Hhex87

United States

Hi everyone,

Finally, here is my USCIS ISO 1 timeline:

Immigration Services Officer Level 1 position GS-9, Field Office; DHS employees only applicants

Opened: 12/10/18

Applied: 12/15/18

Online assessment completed: 12/15/18

Closed: 12/19/18

Referred: 01/04/19, received two referrals at different times but same day.

Contacted for a phone interview: 01/15/19, I missed the first phone call so I called HROC and left a voicemail. They called me back the same day.

Phone Interview: 01/17/19

Completed Writing sample: 01/17/19, immediately after the interview.

References contacted: 01/17/19, and 01/18/19. I received an email requesting for an updated contact numbers for my references. I replied that same day. They contacted three of my references but one of my references (previous supervisor) missed the call and wasn’t contacted again.

Tentative Offer: 02/11/19

Accepted Offer: 02/11/19

Submitted OF-306: 02/11/19

Acceptance acknowledged: 02/12/19

Drug screening requested: 02/19/19

e-QIP/SF-86/paperwork/fingerprints requested: 02/19/19

Drug screening paperwork submitted: 02/21/19

e-QIP/SF-86/paperwork submitted/fingerprints mailed: 02/21/19

Fingerprints received by agency via mail: 02/25/19

Contacted OSI: 03/13/19 (20th day), I received a response within 20 mins that my case is still pending an EOD determination.

PSA notification to start pre-appointment screening: 03/16/19

PSA contacted me for additional information: 03/20/19; replied the next day 03/21/19

Requested to resubmit e-QIP/SF-86: 03/21/19

Resubmitted e-QIP/SF-86: 03/22/19

PSA received my e-QIP/SF-86 and sent it to the PSS for decision: 03/22/19

Interim clearance/EOD suitability approved: 03/25/19

Firm/Final Offer/EOD Offer: 03/25/19

EOD start date: 04/28/19

I hope this serves helpful for those who need inspiration/guidance during their federal hiring process. There will be ups and down during your journey, but having patience, persistence and resilience are essential in landing a federal job.

Good luck and may the odds ever be in your favor!

** Update **

EOD Offer: 03/25/19

Both Agencies approved chosen EOD date: 03/29/19

Requested Form G-1234, Probationary Period Requirement/Submitted same day: 03/29/19

Agency received Form G-1234: 03/31/19

New supervisor contacted me: 04/11/19

Final Offer and reporting instructions: 04/12/19

EOD date: 04/28/19

First day: 04/29/19

** Update **

You still have to complete 1 year probation even though you were a federal employee?

Thanks for your update, didnt know both agencies had to approve your EOD date. Do you know if your references were contacted? I just hit my 20 day mark since I summited my sf 86 and fingerprints and my references weren't contacted yet..
Hhex87  
#8729 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2019 8:15:32 PM(UTC)
Hhex87

United States

Originally Posted by: ucscla19 Go to Quoted Post
Just an update: My interview went well (4/09), completed writing sample the same day. I sent the panel a thank you email the next day. I was contacted via phone to ensure that my references completed questions via email (reference check) before noon 4/12 as they told me they would be making a final selection by noon. I was notified that my references submitted the references before the deadline. I did not ask how I would be contacted to be notified if I was selected or not. The usajobs does not show an update on my application and I was not reached via phone or email to start the job offer process on 4/12.

Do they normally just send an tentative job offer letter via email before contacting you via phone to tell you that they intend to offer you the job? From what it appears on this forum, it takes about two weeks to find out the status? Should I check in with the person I have had contact throughout just to know when I should expect to know the results? Or just patiently wait for the update via the usajobs or email?

I am really looking forward to this job and definitely have been praying that I will get the offer soon! I know the background check will take some time.

I got my tentative offer by email on 3/5/2019 about a week after my interview. I didnt know when they would be making the decisions and as of today my usajobs hasnt change. I would say since they gave you a date on when they would make a decision just to remain patience and wait for them to reach out to you.
HurryUpAndWait29  
#8730 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2019 4:53:41 AM(UTC)
HurryUpAndWait29

Originally Posted by: Hhex87 Go to Quoted Post
You still have to complete 1 year probation even though you were a federal employee?

Thanks for your update, didnt know both agencies had to approve your EOD date. Do you know if your references were contacted? I just hit my 20 day mark since I summited my sf 86 and fingerprints and my references weren't contacted yet..

Unfortunately, yes. I believe I still need to undergo one year of probation even if I’m currently a federal employee.

I think the agreement is out of courtesy. Since I’m transferring from one federal agency to another, the losing agency has to agreed to the chosen date if it’s the appropriate time to let me go.

The references that I put on my SF-86 were not contacted yet. I believe that if the investigating agency reviews your case and determines that there is no need for an investigation (based on your previous investigation within 5 years), then they won’t start a new investigation.
Mike in VT  
#8731 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 4:54:02 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hhex87 Go to Quoted Post

Unfortunately, yes. I believe I still need to undergo one year of probation even if I’m currently a federal employee.

I think the agreement is out of courtesy. Since I’m transferring from one federal agency to another, the losing agency has to agreed to the chosen date if it’s the appropriate time to let me go.

The references that I put on my SF-86 were not contacted yet. I believe that if the investigating agency reviews your case and determines that there is no need for an investigation (based on your previous investigation within 5 years), then they won’t start a new investigation.

Um...you sure about that? has policy changed? I came to USCIS from an outside agency and didn't go through another probationary period.

HurryUpAndWait29  
#8732 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 6:07:44 AM(UTC)
HurryUpAndWait29

Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post
Um...you sure about that? has policy changed? I came to USCIS from an outside agency and didn't go through another probationary period.

Well, I received the Form G-1234, Probationary Period Requirement from one of your HR personnel in VT. I was told to complete and sign it. I had to return it within a few days of receiving it. So I’m not sure but if the policy changed from VT HR team, please let me know.
Tutu12  
#8733 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 6:20:12 PM(UTC)
Tutu12

United States

Here is my timeline for ISo II

Immigration Services Officer II position GS-11, Texas Service Center; Former USCIS employees/Veteran

Opened: 12/03/18

Closed: 12/12/18

Referred: 12/21/19, received two referrals at different times but same day.

Completed Writing sample: 01/7/19

Phone interview: 01/22/19,

References contacted: 01/22/2019

Tentative Offer: 02/27/19

Accepted Offer: 02/27/19

Submitted OF-306: 02/27/19

Acceptance acknowledged: 02/27/19

Drug screening requested and completed: 03/04/19

E-QIP/SF-86/paperwork/fingerprints requested: 03/07/19

I am still awaiting Interim clearance/EOD suitability approval. I contacted the USCIS-OSI-PERSEC-Customer Service
today and they said my case is still pending. I used to worked for USCIS 2 years ago, but went back to school full to get my MBA. I just got my MBA and is trying to get back. . I was told because I left federal service, they are going to treat me like a new federal employee, so I don’t know if they can still use my previous background investigation result since it haven't reach the 5 years grace period.
Hhex87  
#8734 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 6:35:16 PM(UTC)
Hhex87

United States

Originally Posted by: Tutu12 Go to Quoted Post
Here is my timeline for ISo II

Immigration Services Officer II position GS-11, Texas Service Center; Former USCIS employees/Veteran

Opened: 12/03/18

Closed: 12/12/18

Referred: 12/21/19, received two referrals at different times but same day.

Completed Writing sample: 01/7/19

Phone interview: 01/22/19,

References contacted: 01/22/2019

Tentative Offer: 02/27/19

Accepted Offer: 02/27/19

Submitted OF-306: 02/27/19

Acceptance acknowledged: 02/27/19

Drug screening requested and completed: 03/04/19

E-QIP/SF-86/paperwork/fingerprints requested: 03/07/19

I am still awaiting Interim clearance/EOD suitability approval. I contacted the USCIS-OSI-PERSEC-Customer Service
today and they said my case is still pending. I used to worked for USCIS 2 years ago, but went back to school full to get my MBA. I just got my MBA and is trying to get back. . I was told because I left federal service, they are going to treat me like a new federal employee, so I don’t know if they can still use my previous background investigation result since it haven't reach the 5 years grace period.

What you did for USCIS before you left? Does having a MBA qualify you got ISO-2 GS-11?
Tutu12  
#8735 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 6:55:57 PM(UTC)
Tutu12

United States

I started as a G-5 with the title Immigration Analyst with Houston Asylum, later got picked for Immigration Service Officer I (GS7)with Texas Service Center and graduated from in 2011. Later, I was picked for ISO I (Level 9) at the Houston Field Office. I was there until I got ISO II (GS 11). I left for MBA degree because I wanted to work in the Business premium division at the Texas Service Center and move into management hopefully. I just completed the MBA and got pick up with the Texas Service Center Business premium division. So my plan is on...next year when everything go well, I automatically get GS 12 base on my work output.
tknore  
#8736 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2019 3:30:20 AM(UTC)
tknore

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
After my interview earlier this month I reviewed an email yesterday to reply with 2 references by Monday. FYI
PrimaDawna  
#8737 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2019 6:30:51 AM(UTC)
PrimaDawna

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tknore Go to Quoted Post
After my interview earlier this month I reviewed an email yesterday to reply with 2 references by Monday. FYI

Same here, for the PSC location. I have not been asked to submit an essay yet.
tknore  
#8738 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2019 6:37:51 AM(UTC)
tknore

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Neither have I. I would assume we did well enough to move foward.
Hhex87  
#8739 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2019 12:56:49 PM(UTC)
Hhex87

United States

It's been 25 business days since I summited my sf-86 and fingerprints for ISO 1 and I got impatience and send them an email asking for an update and got this response..

"A review of the OSI Personnel Security System indicates that your case is currently in process. Each case is so unique that processing times vary greatly, so there is no real standard processing timeframe we can provide. We appreciate your continued patience while your case is processed.We have recently received an influx of cases and are working as expeditiously as possible to process all the cases"

I'm surprised is taking this long to get my EOD, I'm prior military (USMC) and current fed within DHS for the last 6 years...

KpMd  
#8740 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2019 3:33:51 PM(UTC)
KpMd

United States

Neither have I. I would assume we did well enough to move foward.

tknore & PrimaDawna,

Same and same for PSC. I was asked to give 2 references by Mon/ haven’t heard anything about the writing assignment... but I believe I’ve read in previous posts that not everyone does a writing assessment... I’m guessing just like not everyone had the 3 USAhire assessments and/or face-to-face interviews, and the orders are somewhat different. Ahhh well, I’m down for whatever surprises are thrown at me.;) I hope we all make it through!!!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed