Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PMoore  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 6:22:21 AM(UTC)
PMoore

Groups: Registered

June of 2018 I was a DOD employee GS-0679-05 Step 6. I was selected for a new series and new agency (VA). I was promoted to a GS-0301-6 step 4. My question(s) are: Did I not fall under the 2 step rule? If so it appears that it was calculated incorrectly and that I should be a GS6-Step 5 instead of a GS6-Step 4. I am due to be promoted to a GS-7 in 2 months and this would make a difference in what I'd be promoted to as a GS-7. I've talked to the HR in-house person and she said it has something to do with a change in occupational series. I don't really understand how that would work considering I was not on any special pay tables. GS pay is the same for each grade that does not have special pay, or am I wrong? I'm just trying to understand how the 2 step rule works. Thank you in advance. If something needs fixing, I need to get it handled soon.
Polar Bear  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 4:50:21 PM(UTC)
Polar Bear

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PMoore Go to Quoted Post
June of 2018 I was a DOD employee GS-0679-05 Step 6. I was selected for a new series and new agency (VA). I was promoted to a GS-0301-6 step 4. My question(s) are: Did I not fall under the 2 step rule? If so it appears that it was calculated incorrectly and that I should be a GS6-Step 5 instead of a GS6-Step 4. I am due to be promoted to a GS-7 in 2 months and this would make a difference in what I'd be promoted to as a GS-7. I've talked to the HR in-house person and she said it has something to do with a change in occupational series. I don't really understand how that would work considering I was not on any special pay tables. GS pay is the same for each grade that does not have special pay, or am I wrong? I'm just trying to understand how the 2 step rule works. Thank you in advance. If something needs fixing, I need to get it handled soon.

I can't help you with any actual knowledge. I'm new to fed service and don't understand it well either. If you haven't seen the links that try to explain it, https://www.opm.gov/poli...fact-sheets/promotions/. Good luck.
S D Analyst  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 5:34:29 PM(UTC)
S D Analyst

Was thanked: 404 time(s) in 344 post(s)
V.A. HR is notoriously inept. You should file a pay claim. There is no exception to the 2-Step Rule for a different Occupational Series. If you are in a Bargaining Unit, contact your Union Rep.
Polar Bear  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 5:48:36 PM(UTC)
Polar Bear

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: S D Analyst Go to Quoted Post
V.A. HR is notoriously inept. You should file a pay claim. There is no exception to the 2-Step Rule for a different Occupational Series. If you are in a Bargaining Unit, contact your Union Rep.

SD quick followup. If one were being rehired to a higher grade/dif agency, this wouldn't apply right? At least it would be moot if say the higher grade step 1 is higher than current whatever grade/step+2. If a person was jumped like that say 5/2 to 10 or whatever it would just be a 10/1 when hired. Second followup. would it be 10/2 at the original anniversary date or only at the new hire anniversary date.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed