Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

16 Pages«<1011121314>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
daddythedonkey  
#221 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2019 4:28:06 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ITChick Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: daddythedonkey Go to Quoted Post
Anyone apply to the Arlington VA position? I was found eligible for GS6 yesterday.. I don’t see a score like others have seen? I’ve gotten referred but no interview for other positions within the Gov :(

Got the eligible email yesterday as well. Then a referral email 3 minutes later.

Nice!!! Keep me posted? I’ll update as well. Hopefully maybe we will be co-workers!! What GS did you get referred for?

ITChick  
#222 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 8:25:59 AM(UTC)
ITChick

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Anyone apply to the Arlington VA position? I was found eligible for GS6 yesterday.. I don’t see a score like others have seen? I’ve gotten referred but no interview for other positions within the Gov :(

Got the eligible email yesterday as well. Then a referral email 3 minutes later.

Nice!!! Keep me posted? I’ll update as well. Hopefully maybe we will be co-workers!! What GS did you get referred for?

Same! Ugh I hade waiting 😂😂 I know it’s usually a month before anyone hears anything from what’s been posted :( maybe we will be quicker?
daddythedonkey  
#223 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 12:23:08 PM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Same! Ugh I hade waiting 😂😂 I know it’s usually a month before anyone hears anything from what’s been posted :( maybe we will be quicker?

I'm trying to catch on as an ISA instead of starting as an ISO. I've been referred and called for interviews for ISO, but I'd rather get my feet wet as an ISA first. It would actually be a move down the GS scale for me, but just temporarily. The problem with getting an ISA job is that I only get referred and/or called for interviews in locations where the cost of living is insane or they're only hiring at GS 5. Even in a low cost area, I feel like I'd have to be a 6 in order to relocate. There's another thread out there that is currently discussing the cost of living in the DC area. I don't think even being hired at 7 for ISA would be enough to survive in Arlington.
Mike in VT  
#224 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2019 3:45:45 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 80 post(s)

I'm trying to catch on as an ISA instead of starting as an ISO. I've been referred and called for interviews for ISO, but I'd rather get my feet wet as an ISA first. It would actually be a move down the GS scale for me, but just temporarily. The problem with getting an ISA job is that I only get referred and/or called for interviews in locations where the cost of living is insane or they're only hiring at GS 5. Even in a low cost area, I feel like I'd have to be a 6 in order to relocate. There's another thread out there that is currently discussing the cost of living in the DC area. I don't think even being hired at 7 for ISA would be enough to survive in Arlington.

Depending on your experience and background, you will likely start out as a GS-5 no matter which position you obtain (i.e. ISA, ISOA, ISO1). I started as a GS-5 in a high cost of living region, but moved up the ladder each year and finances got better little by little. Though it takes hardcore budgeting...it's still doable.

daddythedonkey  
#225 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2019 5:10:24 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post

Depending on your experience and background, you will likely start out as a GS-5 no matter which position you obtain (i.e. ISA, ISOA, ISO1). I started as a GS-5 in a high cost of living region, but moved up the ladder each year and finances got better little by little. Though it takes hardcore budgeting...it's still doable.

So if I'm applying for ISA and saying that I'd only accept GS-6, does that hurt my chances of being called for an interview?
Jitterbug  
#226 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2019 5:04:45 AM(UTC)
Jitterbug

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It took 2 months from when I was given the Tentative offer.
Yesterday I was finally offered 2 EOD dates: May 12 & 26th for the Dallas service office located in the Irving area, as an Immigration Services Assistant GS6.
ITChick  
#227 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2019 8:30:07 AM(UTC)
ITChick

United States

Originally Posted by: Jitterbug Go to Quoted Post
It took 2 months from when I was given the Tentative offer.
Yesterday I was finally offered 2 EOD dates: May 12 & 26th for the Dallas service office located in the Irving area, as an Immigration Services Assistant GS6.

Congrats!!!! Mind sharing your time line? How long after you were referred did you get a request for interview? How long for tentative offer? What GS?
ITChick  
#228 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2019 10:41:09 AM(UTC)
ITChick

United States

Anyone from the Arlington posting have any updates?? I’m suspecting to hear today /tomorrow or next Thursday/Friday. I mean.. we’re getting close to 1.5 months from the 90 days....
Prospect  
#229 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 6:49:11 AM(UTC)
Prospect

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My timelines for ISA positions:

1st attempt:

07/28/18 - Sent
08/27/18 - Referred
09/06/18 - Interview
10/01/18 - Not Selected

2nd attempt:

01/26/19 - Sent
03/16/19 - Referred
03/25/19 - Interview
04/04/19 - TO Received
04/05/19 - TO paperwork/instructions received
Decided to decline the offer because a candidate cannot have multiple offers at the same time from the same agency. I went in a different direction within USCIS.

Interviews were very relaxed and much less formal than ISO or Asylum interviews. They will offer you a few time slots to choose from, but selection is very limited. The supervisors were present and asked basic interview questions: office experience, customer service, work ethic. They will allow you to ask questions at the end. Had the option to telephone interview for both. For the first one, I arrived in person and I wore professional business attire. For the second one, I chose to interview by phone for convenience.

All of my references were contacted right after my interview. In some cases, right before.

Hope this keeps the thread alive and answers some timeline questions. Good luck to everyone!
thanks 1 user thanked Prospect for this useful post.
G0271 on 7/18/2019(UTC)
grisandole  
#230 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2019 12:06:57 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I recently received a TO and am hoping to be able to accept, but would need more money. Anyone here negotiate a higher step?
Polar Bear  
#231 Posted : Saturday, June 1, 2019 9:41:23 PM(UTC)
Polar Bear

United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: grisandole Go to Quoted Post
I recently received a TO and am hoping to be able to accept, but would need more money. Anyone here negotiate a higher step?

What job type and location? Probably not, but might depend on what you got.
Eternal-Itch  
#232 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2019 3:00:36 AM(UTC)
Eternal-Itch

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I've seen ISA's hired at step 10, so it depends on many factors I suppose.
teeeeej  
#233 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2019 12:04:10 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 67 post(s)
I have a friend who works as an ISO and she said it's hard to negotiate because it's an easy position to fill.
grisandole  
#234 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2019 10:43:22 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Eternal-Itch Go to Quoted Post
I've seen ISA's hired at step 10, so it depends on many factors I suppose.

My current pay exceeds the step 10, so I'm hoping they will put me there. I'd happily accept!
grisandole  
#235 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2019 10:44:36 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post
I have a friend who works as an ISO and she said it's hard to negotiate because it's an easy position to fill.

I figured that it didn't hurt to ask. HR emailed me and requested a copy of my last SF-50, from when I was a federal employee back in 2013 (been with the State since then). So I haven't gotten a "no" yet, lol!
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Vicccyay on 8/13/2019(UTC)
daddythedonkey  
#236 Posted : Sunday, June 23, 2019 11:37:26 AM(UTC)
daddythedonkey

Can anyone ballpark the waiting time for a background security clearance for a new ISA hire after accepting a tentative offer? I'm a current federal employee with a public trust clearance at another agency.
G0271  
#237 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2019 6:32:06 AM(UTC)
G0271

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Does anyone know the required "Time in Grade" for an ISA-GS 7 to become an ISO- GS9? Had my interview yesterday for an ISA position and they did make mention of "Time in grade" before one can become an ISO, but they did not elaborate and did not specify the required amount of time required to be an ISA- GS7 before applying to a ISO GS9
teeeeej  
#238 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2019 10:25:17 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 67 post(s)
Originally Posted by: G0271 Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know the required "Time in Grade" for an ISA-GS 7 to become an ISO- GS9? Had my interview yesterday for an ISA position and they did make mention of "Time in grade" before one can become an ISO, but they did not elaborate and did not specify the required amount of time required to be an ISA- GS7 before applying to a ISO GS9

If ISA GS-7 counts as specialized experience for ISO then it would be 1 year. T
algaharb  
#239 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:13:31 AM(UTC)
algaharb

United States

Hello everyone, sorry for necroing an old thread, but my anxiety is kicking in and I was hoping to get a few answers.

Timeline for Reference for an ISA 1 position

Application Closed:7/5
Referred: 7/15
Interview and 30 minute timed writing assessment: 7/19 (Was asked for 3 references the day prior to the interview)
References Checked: They contacted them on 8/6 but 2 didn't call back until 8/8

I was just wondering if this is a normal timeline for the job as during the interview itself I was told that we should hear back hopefully within two weeks. The other question I had was if it meant anything that my references were contacted (Was looking on Reddit on some places said they only contacted references as a formality before hiring, and one more specific post said that in regards to USCIS they always ask for the references prior to the interview, but it only matters if they actually contact them.)

The posting was for the ISA position in Harlingen (just moved into the area with relatives)
Vicccyay  
#240 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:43:45 AM(UTC)
Vicccyay

United States

Just wondering if TO GS level is negotiable?

Accept TO, and did drug screen already. But just noticed that GS-5 is kinda low wd my master degree and 4 years experience (both not in same field as immigration service)

Any advice is welcome
Rss Feed  Atom Feed