Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Boblin  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2019 2:06:52 PM(UTC)
Boblin

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello everyone. I accepted a defense job several weeks ago that requires a secret clearance and am currently waiting for my interim clearance before setting up a start date. As far as I know everything has been going well. At one point early on, I was contacted by a third party handling my background check asking if it was ok if they contacted my employer to verify employment, and if not to provide them with a pay stub. Of course I asked them not to contact my employer and provided them with everything they needed. That was about two weeks ago.

Unfortunately today I get called into my supervisor's office and he informs me that he has received a form to fill out regarding my security clearance. From what he described it asked several yes/no questions that basically asked him whether I was trustworthy. Luckily he was cool about it but I had to come clean before I had hoped to give notice. This put both of us in an awkward situation because I didn't yet have a start date for my new job.

I am assuming that the third party background check and whatever form my supervisor received are not related. Has anyone experienced this kind of situation? How have you handled your employer knowing that you accepted a job but the timeline being unclear?

Edited by user Monday, April 29, 2019 2:07:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Endless Summer  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2019 2:26:09 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 143 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Boblin Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone. I accepted a defense job several weeks ago that requires a secret clearance and am currently waiting for my interim clearance before setting up a start date. As far as I know everything has been going well. At one point early on, I was contacted by a third party handling my background check asking if it was ok if they contacted my employer to verify employment, and if not to provide them with a pay stub. Of course I asked them not to contact my employer and provided them with everything they needed. That was about two weeks ago.

Unfortunately today I get called into my supervisor's office and he informs me that he has received a form to fill out regarding my security clearance. From what he described it asked several yes/no questions that basically asked him whether I was trustworthy. Luckily he was cool about it but I had to come clean before I had hoped to give notice. This put both of us in an awkward situation because I didn't yet have a start date for my new job.

I am assuming that the third party background check and whatever form my supervisor received are not related. Has anyone experienced this kind of situation? How have you handled your employer knowing that you accepted a job but the timeline being unclear?

Same thing happened to me. Prospective employer was the one who contacted my current supervisor before asking me for permission. I had been proactive, my boss knew I was putting in applications for what I referred to as lottery ticket jobs... Jobs that were too cool not to apply for, but had a million to one chance of getting hired for.

So, it wasn't a huge shock but it could have gone badly.
BackGdInvestigator  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 02, 2019 3:20:32 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 77 post(s)
The form your boss received was from NBIB - the federal government. The instruction pages of the SCA/eQip/SF 86 tell you that people, to include employers, will be contacted as part of your background investigation.

This is not something you as a Subject can control. The process is designed so the Subject cannot lead or control the investigation.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Boblin on 5/2/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed