Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Effay  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 30, 2019 8:12:21 PM(UTC)
Effay

Groups: Registered
United States

I travelled to Colombia to visit my girlfriend in October for 5 days. Went again for a month in December. Then again in January for a week and in March for a week. I just got a new job and am going to apply for either a Secret or TS. I am wondering if my chances for the clearance are impossible due to my frequent visits. I don’t plan on leaving the country again. All the visits were only to see my girlfriend and she is a Colombian citizen. I also never visited South America or any other foreign countries besides Canada before this. No drugs or such were involved during any visits. Thanks for any advice
someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2019 3:30:03 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 905 time(s) in 758 post(s)
It will certainly complicate matters. Make sure you have all the details about dates of travel, where you stayed, anybody besides your girlfriend that you met several times while you were down there.

This foreign travel alone will not prevent you from getting a clearance. However I think it may eliminate the possibility of an interim clearance-- which can be hard to get anyway so you may not be missing much.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
FrankJr  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2019 8:16:17 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 103 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Effay Go to Quoted Post
I travelled to Colombia to visit my girlfriend in October for 5 days. Went again for a month in December. Then again in January for a week and in March for a week. I just got a new job and am going to apply for either a Secret or TS. I am wondering if my chances for the clearance are impossible due to my frequent visits. I don’t plan on leaving the country again. All the visits were only to see my girlfriend and she is a Colombian citizen. I also never visited South America or any other foreign countries besides Canada before this. No drugs or such were involved during any visits. Thanks for any advice

The travel per se is not an issue but the purpose of the travel is the issue. The status of the girlfriend will be a very long discussion.

To clarify, clearance is more often than not addressed prior to starting the new job and not after starting the new job.
King_Fed  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2019 3:37:10 PM(UTC)
King_Fed

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
The girlfriend will be the bigger issue.

Now might be the time to ensure she does not or has not worked for the gov't of colo... or have family or close friends who do.

Outside of that, I can't offer up much more but "sea stories" that I did not witness or have first-hand knowledge about...
birdsong  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2019 4:44:38 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post

The travel per se is not an issue but the purpose of the travel is the issue. The status of the girlfriend will be a very long discussion.

To clarify, clearance is more often than not addressed prior to starting the new job and not after starting the new job.

Could you explain more about the "purpose of the travel" being the issue? Wouldn't it be simple to explain as just "I met a local girl and went back to see her ... or etc,"

Which reminds me of international dating and clearances ... Supposing someone is in a similar situation during a renewal investigation after having multiple foreign travels for long-distance relationships, and because nothing lasts forever, there are more than one relationship. How bad is this? Should one refrain from further travel, even if it is fully disclosed, during the renewal BI?

I know myself there is no rule against travel itself, and see above that managers look for foreign contacts that are foreign government connected and not just a regular civilian, but would tinder dates and hookups on vacation count as problematic contacts? Are multiple short term hookups less "triggering" than one long-term relationship?

Edited by user Saturday, April 20, 2019 4:46:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FrankJr  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2019 9:58:02 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 103 post(s)
Originally Posted by: birdsong Go to Quoted Post

Could you explain more about the "purpose of the travel" being the issue? Wouldn't it be simple to explain as just "I met a local girl and went back to see her ... or etc,"

Which reminds me of international dating and clearances ... Supposing someone is in a similar situation during a renewal investigation after having multiple foreign travels for long-distance relationships, and because nothing lasts forever, there are more than one relationship. How bad is this? Should one refrain from further travel, even if it is fully disclosed, during the renewal BI?

I know myself there is no rule against travel itself, and see above that managers look for foreign contacts that are foreign government connected and not just a regular civilian, but would tinder dates and hookups on vacation count as problematic contacts? Are multiple short term hookups less "triggering" than one long-term relationship?

Find someone to date in the Northern Hemisphere.
birdsong  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2019 5:02:17 PM(UTC)

Find someone to date in the Northern Hemisphere.

If you mean the USA, the good ones are elsewhere, both in quality and attitude.
BackGdInvestigator  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2019 6:58:28 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 77 post(s)
The long conversation is about the foreign national(s) whom you are romantically involved.

The reinvestigation conversation becomes really long and critical when you did not report you were romantically involved with a foreign national. Sorry, love is not a mitigating factor.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
FrankJr on 4/22/2019(UTC)
10years2retire  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 5:56:30 AM(UTC)
10years2retire

United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
You will eventually need to get the names of your foreign national girlfriend's family members (parents, brothers sisters, close friends, etc) for the background investigator so that it can be referred to the embassy of that country for review, to see if she has a criminal record, etc. This process will hold up your clearance for at least a year (word to the wise)

Edited by user Monday, May 06, 2019 5:57:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed