Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
debmc1958  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2019 5:49:59 AM(UTC)
debmc1958

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I was shocked to read that 44 percent of people who commute to dc drive alone. Anyone know what the drive to judiciary square from Takoma Park md is like? What about parking? Why do people choose driving over metro?
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2019 6:52:57 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 937 time(s) in 742 post(s)
Originally Posted by: debmc1958 Go to Quoted Post
I was shocked to read that 44 percent of people who commute to dc drive alone. Anyone know what the drive to judiciary square from Takoma Park md is like? What about parking? Why do people choose driving over metro?
I can't speak for others...but I have difficulty walking far (thanks to a spinal cord injury) and the nearest metro station would mean I would be almost halfway to work already. I can park at my building (by Patriot Plaza) for $50 a month (we pay quarterly). Takes me about 20-35 minutes going to work, and 30-90 minutes going home (I have to drive past the Nationals Stadium, and if there is a game letting out when I head home, the traffic is crazy!). If there were someone who wanted to carpool who lived near me and worked near where I did (and worked a similar schedule, I would happily do so.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
debmc1958 on 5/10/2019(UTC)
debmc1958  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2019 7:07:04 AM(UTC)
debmc1958

United States

Thanks fior your insight. I’m exploring my options as to living near metro or driving which I hadn’t realized was an option. My current commute in NJ by car is 45 minutes morning and one to one and a half hours at night. I will be working near judiciary square metro but still 1/2 mile walk.
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2019 7:42:57 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 937 time(s) in 742 post(s)
Originally Posted by: debmc1958 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks fior your insight. I’m exploring my options as to living near metro or driving which I hadn’t realized was an option. My current commute in NJ by car is 45 minutes morning and one to one and a half hours at night. I will be working near judiciary square metro but still 1/2 mile walk.
Of course, you may want to talk to the folks who work in the same office/place you will be at. Throughout DC there are a lot of variables to consider (ie my parking is heavily subsidized). Also, look up "Slug lines" to see a very unique DC way to car pool!

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
debmc1958 on 5/10/2019(UTC)
djp  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2019 1:11:02 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 117 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Why peop,e drive....

1 they live in areas without other transportation options.

You get coomutung dubsidy not counted as salary to use car pools or public transportation.

3 the area doesn’t have good driving pools or slug lines. Slug lines are well establish on 95 where people park thrn someone thry don’t know say I’m going to pentagon snd have 3 seats open.

4. At work thry have van pool options where thry link folks living in same area. This is common in other cities with limited transit options. Like smaller city VA hospitalsor at a joint federal building shared by many agencies.

5 it’s very common to do bus and metro together.

6. Fir parking...some large agency building have parking but it goes to higher ranked people or those with more years. A coworker of mine lives in Gaithersburg and hates metro and drives in early and works a 600-230 schedule beating traffic. He runs late either way his drive time doubles or even triples.

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
debmc1958 on 5/13/2019(UTC)
habu987  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2019 4:05:26 AM(UTC)
habu987

United States

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I've flipped back and forth between driving and taking the metro over the years. Bouncing around from agency to agency as a contractor and then currently as a fed, I've worked in Rosslyn, Falls Church, and assorted areas in DC, all coming from Alexandria or Springfield.

There was a period of time where the metro just sucked, big time. Trains on the blue line were almost always delayed, they were dirty, there was overcrowding, and it seemed like a weekly occurence that we'd have to unload a train due to some malfunction. I took the metro from 2011-2013, then after a few years of dealing with that (and over that time I was on a total of 4 trains that caught on fire!), I started driving and drove to work from 2014-2017. I've been taking the metro again for the past couple of years now and it's much better than it had been.
thanks 1 user thanked habu987 for this useful post.
debmc1958 on 5/13/2019(UTC)
10years2retire  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2019 9:30:14 AM(UTC)
10years2retire

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Since your from New Jersey Every highway in the DC Metro area (inside the 495 beltway) is exactly like 287 where it meets rt 1/9 and the GSP, you never want to get onto the highly congested highway system in this area unless you bring emergency supplies (water bottles, energy bars, etc) in case the highway is suddenly closed due to an overturned car, jack-knifed 18 wheeler, or a sink hole, causing you to be parked on the highway for hours with no recourse.

At least you will not have to go over one of the bridges like the people in Nothern Virgina have to do if they drive in, but you will still have to deal with many highways that suddenly end with either a stop sign or a traffic light which was not made for the number of cars that want to use it during rush hour, backing up the road for a mile or two.

To see what I mean just tune to 103.5 wtop via internet streaming on their website and listen to the daily carnage on the highways and national park system roads.

Edited by user Monday, May 13, 2019 9:31:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

debmc1958  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2019 11:11:32 AM(UTC)
debmc1958

United States

I’ve done a lot of commuting in north and south jersey and would like to stop driving forever. There is no real public transit in south jersey unless you want to spend two hours on a bus to go 15 Miles. I think I’ve tried every commute and I hate them all.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed