Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Viv  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:56:49 AM(UTC)
Viv

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/17/2019(UTC)
Posts: 21
United States

Thanks: 11 times
I am a new CCA under probation. Just wondering that when your supervisor called you two days in a row letting you know that you have day off without explanation. What do you think about that? Also, would those days count for 90/120 days?

Edited by user Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:37:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Work like you don't need a money, Love like you've never been hurt, and Dance like no one is watching.
roger.d  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:59:51 AM(UTC)
roger.d

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2016(UTC)
Posts: 2,784
United States
Location: Midwest

Thanks: 127 times
Was thanked: 702 time(s) in 548 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Viv Go to Quoted Post
I am a new CCA under probation. Just wondering that when your supervisor called you two days in a row letting you know that you have day off without explanation. What do you think about that? Also, would those days count for 90/120 days?


It either mears the have enough people to deliver the mail. Or they don't like you. No one here can answer that.

Do you know what the 90/120 means?
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
Viv  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 10:25:43 AM(UTC)
Viv

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/17/2019(UTC)
Posts: 21
United States

Thanks: 11 times
Yes I do know that 90/120 days count as 90 working days or 120 days has been employee by USPS. I don't care if they don't like me. I just want to do my job and get paid. I need more hours because I got a lot of bills to pay..
Work like you don't need a money, Love like you've never been hurt, and Dance like no one is watching.
Hannah Blector  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 1:39:41 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/29/2015(UTC)
Posts: 2,989

Thanks: 502 times
Was thanked: 1166 time(s) in 783 post(s)
Don't let mgmt know that you want time off or a lot of work. Tell them nothing. They will use information against you. Just show up early when scheduled, probably answer your phone while on probation, keep your head down, keep your nose and clothes clean, keep your mouth shut, and follow instructions while working diligently. That is what you need to do for 90 work days or 120 calendar days. You cannot control whether or not they like you. You can, however, do things they like. That is all you can control.

Don't question management about scheduling while on probation. Yes sir, yes ma'am, thank you.
thanks 2 users thanked Hannah Blector for this useful post.
Viv on 5/15/2019(UTC), Fish Smith on 5/15/2019(UTC)
IACCA  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 1:57:11 PM(UTC)
IACCA

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/9/2016(UTC)
Posts: 432
United States
Location: Iowa

Thanks: 39 times
Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Viv Go to Quoted Post
I am a new CCA under probation. Just wondering that when your supervisor called you two days in a row letting you know that you have day off without explanation. What do you think about that? Also, would those days count for 90/120 days?


I don't know about your office, but here in the boonies even when on probation, if I wasn't getting enough hours I asked if other offices might need me. I am not sure if your managers will let you do that while on probation or not, but can't hurt to ask if you really want the hours. Some offices are always needing help, they just have to know you want to work... at least in my experience.
"No excuses... Do the work"
thanks 1 user thanked IACCA for this useful post.
Hannah Blector on 5/15/2019(UTC)
Hannah Blector  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:15:24 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/29/2015(UTC)
Posts: 2,989

Thanks: 502 times
Was thanked: 1166 time(s) in 783 post(s)
IACCA is helpful and has been there. I would consider personally if it is worth it during probation. You may find you need your energy, physical and mental, to concentrate on passing probation. Also, the less you work and the less you travel the less exposure to accident or injury. If I was a CCA I would want to walk all day, preferably 3 days a week for 4 months. Your money will be made after probation. Get through probation. You cannot wreck a vehicle you are not driving. You get in a wreck, you are likely not passing probation no matter who was at fault or what kind of worker you are.

Just some thoughts.
Hannah Blector  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:21:57 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/29/2015(UTC)
Posts: 2,989

Thanks: 502 times
Was thanked: 1166 time(s) in 783 post(s)
Definitely don't inconvenience managers while on probation. If you get the sense that they won't mind finding you some other work, fine. But that is more hassle for them. It is good for the USPS and even workers who don't want the extra hours you would be working in their stead. But think about probation more than anything else. Once off probation if you are not getting hours, you might contact other offices yourself and volunteer to help out. But talk to your manager first. Managers hate to find out from someone else. A PM was not happy when I finagled a downgrade from PM to city carrier in his office. I made the deal with the District and they let him know I was showing up. I did not approach him because I knew another carrier was transferring in and I wanted to beat him there. I did not want the PM to have a say in it.
Viv  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:45:20 PM(UTC)
Viv

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/17/2019(UTC)
Posts: 21
United States

Thanks: 11 times
Originally Posted by: Hannah Blector Go to Quoted Post
Definitely don't inconvenience managers while on probation. If you get the sense that they won't mind finding you some other work, fine. But that is more hassle for them. It is good for the USPS and even workers who don't want the extra hours you would be working in their stead. But think about probation more than anything else. Once off probation if you are not getting hours, you might contact other offices yourself and volunteer to help out. But talk to your manager first. Managers hate to find out from someone else. A PM was not happy when I finagled a downgrade from PM to city carrier in his office. I made the deal with the District and they let him know I was showing up. I did not approach him because I knew another carrier was transferring in and I wanted to beat him there. I did not want the PM to have a say in it.



I definitely agree with you. It just that I hate the fact I know I was on the schedule (I took a picture of it) but then my supervisor called me that I have day off yesterday and today. I didn't think of just showing up to get guaranteed time. Oh well!!!...

But I do understand what you're saying.
Work like you don't need a money, Love like you've never been hurt, and Dance like no one is watching.
postalvet  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 4:39:15 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/29/2009(UTC)
Posts: 16,252
Location: southern calif

Thanks: 1601 times
Was thanked: 2831 time(s) in 2230 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Viv Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Hannah Blector Go to Quoted Post
Definitely don't inconvenience managers while on probation. If you get the sense that they won't mind finding you some other work, fine. But that is more hassle for them. It is good for the USPS and even workers who don't want the extra hours you would be working in their stead. But think about probation more than anything else. Once off probation if you are not getting hours, you might contact other offices yourself and volunteer to help out. But talk to your manager first. Managers hate to find out from someone else. A PM was not happy when I finagled a downgrade from PM to city carrier in his office. I made the deal with the District and they let him know I was showing up. I did not approach him because I knew another carrier was transferring in and I wanted to beat him there. I did not want the PM to have a say in it.



I definitely agree with you. It just that I hate the fact I know I was on the schedule (I took a picture of it) but then my supervisor called me that I have day off yesterday and today. I didn't think of just showing up to get guaranteed time. Oh well!!!...

But I do understand what you're saying.


seeing how you are under 90/120, mark the phone number from the post office and the next time they call send it to voice mail and DO NOT ANSWER BACK. show up as scheduled at least you will get a couple of hours. when they ask why you did not answer just say something like "I do not carry my phone around all the time or it was in another room. and when asked why you did not call back say something like I do not check messages often, I will do better next time" but do not. after 90/120 day YOU ARE NOT ON CALL.


you are not on call now, but management uses anything to fire someone in the first 90/120.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
thanks 1 user thanked postalvet for this useful post.
Viv on 5/15/2019(UTC)
Viv  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 5:08:25 PM(UTC)
Viv

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/17/2019(UTC)
Posts: 21
United States

Thanks: 11 times
Originally Posted by: postalvet Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Viv Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Hannah Blector Go to Quoted Post
Definitely don't inconvenience managers while on probation. If you get the sense that they won't mind finding you some other work, fine. But that is more hassle for them. It is good for the USPS and even workers who don't want the extra hours you would be working in their stead. But think about probation more than anything else. Once off probation if you are not getting hours, you might contact other offices yourself and volunteer to help out. But talk to your manager first. Managers hate to find out from someone else. A PM was not happy when I finagled a downgrade from PM to city carrier in his office. I made the deal with the District and they let him know I was showing up. I did not approach him because I knew another carrier was transferring in and I wanted to beat him there. I did not want the PM to have a say in it.



I definitely agree with you. It just that I hate the fact I know I was on the schedule (I took a picture of it) but then my supervisor called me that I have day off yesterday and today. I didn't think of just showing up to get guaranteed time. Oh well!!!...

But I do understand what you're saying.


seeing how you are under 90/120, mark the phone number from the post office and the next time they call send it to voice mail and DO NOT ANSWER BACK. show up as scheduled at least you will get a couple of hours. when they ask why you did not answer just say something like "I do not carry my phone around all the time or it was in another room. and when asked why you did not call back say something like I do not check messages often, I will do better next time" but do not. after 90/120 day YOU ARE NOT ON CALL.


you are not on call now, but management uses anything to fire someone in the first 90/120.




Thank you, Postalvet!!! I keep that in mind...If that happen again, I won't pick up the phone and would drive myself just to show up and getting guarantee time pay plus mileages 😁
Work like you don't need a money, Love like you've never been hurt, and Dance like no one is watching.
Fish Smith  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:16:16 PM(UTC)
Fish Smith

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/4/2016(UTC)
Posts: 185
United States
Location: Delaware

Thanks: 35 times
Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hannah Blector Go to Quoted Post
Don't let mgmt know that you want time off or a lot of work. Tell them nothing. They will use information against you. Just show up early when scheduled, probably answer your phone while on probation, keep your head down, keep your nose and clothes clean, keep your mouth shut, and follow instructions while working diligently. That is what you need to do for 90 work days or 120 calendar days. You cannot control whether or not they like you. You can, however, do things they like. That is all you can control.

Don't question management about scheduling while on probation. Yes sir, yes ma'am, thank you.


If this isn't thee best advice, I don't know what is.

Lol you ask for more work one time and they'll NEVER forget it. I wished for 2 days in a row off when I did it. Instead I got 6 days or sometimes 9 days on in a row. They looked at me like I was insane for inquiring about a day off. I was past probation when I asked.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:17:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

122intheshade  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:53:32 PM(UTC)
122intheshade

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/20/2014(UTC)
Posts: 2,271
Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Thanks: 46 times
Was thanked: 551 time(s) in 441 post(s)
The good news for you is, as others have stated, you can't screw up if you don't go in. And the clock keeps ticking anyway. You can pass probation by working five days or 90.

If there is a truly "dead" time of year at the PO, this is it. For the first time I can recall at my office, they sent a handful of CCAs home. Hopefully AFTER they got their four hours.
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
thanks 1 user thanked 122intheshade for this useful post.
Viv on 5/16/2019(UTC)
Hannah Blector  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:32:59 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/29/2015(UTC)
Posts: 2,989

Thanks: 502 times
Was thanked: 1166 time(s) in 783 post(s)
I would not take pictures in the office. Just write down your schedule. As a CCA your schedule can change all the time. So a picture is of no more value than a note and we are not supposed to be taking pictures.

Yes, I have taken pictures of stuff for a business reason. Like a parcel with a mangled barcode or some similar thing that mgmt would not mind.
Viv  
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 5:47:51 AM(UTC)
Viv

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/17/2019(UTC)
Posts: 21
United States

Thanks: 11 times
Originally Posted by: Hannah Blector Go to Quoted Post
I would not take pictures in the office. Just write down your schedule. As a CCA your schedule can change all the time. So a picture is of no more value than a note and we are not supposed to be taking pictures.

Yes, I have taken pictures of stuff for a business reason. Like a parcel with a mangled barcode or some similar thing that mgmt would not mind.




I was aware of that for not taking pictures of office. But my shop steward told me that there's nothing wrong to take a picture of your schedule, because the supervisors are lying all the times and we need to have some proves to show.
Work like you don't need a money, Love like you've never been hurt, and Dance like no one is watching.
Hannah Blector  
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 7:19:59 AM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/29/2015(UTC)
Posts: 2,989

Thanks: 502 times
Was thanked: 1166 time(s) in 783 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Viv Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Hannah Blector Go to Quoted Post
I would not take pictures in the office. Just write down your schedule. As a CCA your schedule can change all the time. So a picture is of no more value than a note and we are not supposed to be taking pictures.

Yes, I have taken pictures of stuff for a business reason. Like a parcel with a mangled barcode or some similar thing that mgmt would not mind.




I was aware of that for not taking pictures of office. But my shop steward told me that there's nothing wrong to take a picture of your schedule, because the supervisors are lying all the times and we need to have some proves to show.


I understand mgmt lies and they don't want anyone to prove anything.

Hence the rules about not taking pictures. So the steward says it is okay to take pictures for the very reason you can get in trouble.

Personally, I think the USPS would be a great place to work if managers and employees were REQUIRED to record all interactions. If you want to see a sea change in morale, get a CEO that makes that rule. It would make management do a proper job instead of trying to intimidate employees. Maybe we would even get some competency in management. Issue recording devices and make it clear to everyone they are free to record at will, with the obvious need to maintain privacy of our customers, etc. The recording is only for mgmt/employee interactions. Then if there is no recording it didn't happen. End of story.
Hannah Blector  
#16 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 7:22:19 AM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/29/2015(UTC)
Posts: 2,989

Thanks: 502 times
Was thanked: 1166 time(s) in 783 post(s)
Here is a way to get fired:

"I was aware of that for not taking pictures of office. But my shop steward told me"

I know you are only speaking on a forum. But never admit you know better when you get caught. And don't think the shop steward will admit anything to help you, either.
MPE2009  
#17 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 12:16:25 PM(UTC)
MPE2009

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/25/2016(UTC)
Posts: 1,541
United States

Thanks: 140 times
Was thanked: 449 time(s) in 342 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hannah Blector Go to Quoted Post
Here is a way to get fired:

"I was aware of that for not taking pictures of office. But my shop steward told me"

I know you are only speaking on a forum. But never admit you know better when you get caught. And don't think the shop steward will admit anything to help you, either.


I suspect that when it was forbidden to take pictures, pictures of your work schedule were not included. There are some valid reasons for not taking pictures, esp since too many people are too stupid to know when not to take pictures. But there are also many legitimate reasons to take pictures, such as the schedule. Or simply get permission to make a photocopy of the schedule. However that's really a bit irrelevant to this thread.

The OP is not entitled to hours, no matter how important it is to the OP to pay bills. That's simply the nature of any part time job that we take on. So if there's no work at their office, the OP can go work at another office. ASK. If the problem is instead the OP isn't liked, then there needs to be a serious conversation with management to try and alleviate that problem. I do however appreciate your point that if the OP can hold it down to only working 3-4 days over the next 120, there's less chance of a career ending accident.
thanks 1 user thanked MPE2009 for this useful post.
Viv on 5/16/2019(UTC)
Hannah Blector  
#18 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 7:48:40 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/29/2015(UTC)
Posts: 2,989

Thanks: 502 times
Was thanked: 1166 time(s) in 783 post(s)
I don't think there is a list of what pictures can or cannot be taken. I would recommend someone on probation not be seen taking a picture of anything.
Viv  
#19 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2019 7:57:02 PM(UTC)
Viv

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/17/2019(UTC)
Posts: 21
United States

Thanks: 11 times
Originally Posted by: Hannah Blector Go to Quoted Post
I don't think there is a list of what pictures can or cannot be taken. I would recommend someone on probation not be seen taking a picture of anything.


Hannah, I followed your suggestion for not taking a picture. I really appreciate that. Last Saturday after I clocked out, I checked my schedule if I was schedule for Sunday delivery. It was NS. Sunday morning, my supervisor texted me and called me that I was schedule for that day at 8:00 am. I was surprised and texted him back that I was not schedule and I was out of town. He didn't text me back. Today, this morning, when I came to work and reported to him to find that he was upset and told me he's putting me on AWOL for not coming to work yesterday. Now, it's gonna count against my probation. I knew when I see the schedule on Saturday it was NS. Then this morning he show me on the board paper schedule that I was scheduled that day with a fresh marked pencil. Now, how can I prove it that he was lying? I can't.

Edited by user Monday, May 20, 2019 7:59:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Work like you don't need a money, Love like you've never been hurt, and Dance like no one is watching.
Fish Smith  
#20 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2019 10:54:20 PM(UTC)
Fish Smith

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/4/2016(UTC)
Posts: 185
United States
Location: Delaware

Thanks: 35 times
Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Viv Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Hannah Blector Go to Quoted Post
I don't think there is a list of what pictures can or cannot be taken. I would recommend someone on probation not be seen taking a picture of anything.


Hannah, I followed your suggestion for not taking a picture. I really appreciate that. Last Saturday after I clocked out, I checked my schedule if I was schedule for Sunday delivery. It was NS. Sunday morning, my supervisor texted me and called me that I was schedule for that day at 8:00 am. I was surprised and texted him back that I was not schedule and I was out of town. He didn't text me back. Today, this morning, when I came to work and reported to him to find that he was upset and told me he's putting me on AWOL for not coming to work yesterday. Now, it's gonna count against my probation. I knew when I see the schedule on Saturday it was NS. Then this morning he show me on the board paper schedule that I was scheduled that day with a fresh marked pencil. Now, how can I prove it that he was lying? I can't.


Smh.Do NOT EVER answer a text back, pick up a phone, call back on your day off unless you want to work. I know you've heard this before. It is not a joke.

I took a picture of my schedule as a cca and now as a regular, I take pics of the holiday schedule. Eveyone does.

They called me on Sundays (Amazon deliveries as I called them) when someone bxtcxes or calls out. I blocked every postal number and every management's personal number so it'd go straight to voice mail. This happened every hoilday or Sunday. If the schedule changed, they'd have to speak to be before I clocked out. If your union is worth anything, they'd say something about writing in pencil. Never adnit to anything even if you know you're guilty. Seek union help first. Admit NOTHING.

Edited by user Monday, May 20, 2019 10:56:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fish Smith for this useful post.
Viv on 5/21/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.884 seconds.