Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

162 Pages«<126127128129130>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
N.E.R.D.  
#2541 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 10:35:45 AM(UTC)
N.E.R.D.

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: honeybee11 Go to Quoted Post
My status just changed to "referred to selecting official" within the last hour.

I thought all hope was lost but maybe I'm still in this!

Congrats! Now you're in the same boat as the rest of us that are griping lol....
thanks 1 user thanked N.E.R.D. for this useful post.
honeybee11 on 5/15/2019(UTC)
MICPA  
#2542 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 10:40:22 AM(UTC)
MICPA

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: irshopeful Go to Quoted Post
My biggest gripe is the lack of information for people who received TOs and who also have to move locations. You would think they would know who has to move based on their original address in the resume. Some kind of status update, even just one big status update that gets sent to people with TOs would suffice, just to at least know if people with TOs are safe ASIDE from the usual background checks, etc. If you assume the FO came on June 3rd or something, they're putting a lot of stress on people who have to move.

I guess we're just complaining at this point though, no one really knows how bad it is unless you're actually IRS HR right now. It's possible they themselves don't even know if all TOs will be given an FO even if background checks/etc are passed. What a mess.

What are the chances of them rescinding the offer though? And yes I agree the lack of communication sucks! Especially I’m more use to over communicate. I’d really appreciate an email as well.
Not_a_CPA  
#2543 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 10:43:17 AM(UTC)
Not_a_CPA

United States

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 54 post(s)
My status just changed to "referred to selecting official" within the last hour.

DUDE YES. Congrats!

We will miss you in the Salty Rejects Club.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 15, 2019 10:44:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Not_a_CPA for this useful post.
honeybee11  
#2544 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 10:45:27 AM(UTC)
honeybee11

United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Not_a_CPA Go to Quoted Post

DUDE YES. Congrats!

We will miss you in the Salty Rejects Club.

I'm sure you will join me soon enough! Also I haven't received a TO yet... fingers crossed.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:15:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

fedswatching  
#2545 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 10:48:35 AM(UTC)
fedswatching

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello everyone, new member who is also in the midst of applying.

Some background on me, mid-20's, graduated with an Accounting degree in 2016, been working for an OIG (0511) since graduating, and am extremely close to obtaining my CPA license. I applied for the SB/SE division.

Quick timeline for me
I applied to the Oakland office as a GS-11, interviewed in early April, received notice that I was selected as "best qualified" and referred to selecting official in late April.
May 10th, informed that I was selected as a GS-11 Step 1, and instructed to complete the on-boarding procedures which I did same day (and left notes saying I wanted to discuss pay, and my side business)
May 14th, I made an appointment for USA access, and today (May 15) I got fingerprinted, took my ID photo.

Now, after going through all this, I still have not formally accepted the offer, nor spoken to anyone about it, and likely will not formally accept the offer if my side business is not IRS approved. Is this standard operating procedure at the IRS? Seems a bit backwards to me.

Also, is there room for negotiation? My 3rd year with the OIG is up in July, and I may be eligible for a QSI to a GS12. Now, I know full well the position is for GS-11, and I'll live with essentially staying at GS-11 for another year longer than expected, but how likely would it be that I can start at a higher step or receive a CPA bonus? Even if I get told no at every step, the revenue agent job seems like a much better fit for me and what I want to do as a job.

Additionally, what is the policy on outside employment? I'm part owner/operator of a very small/niche car dealership (online sales) and I primarily handle the accounting/bookkeeping/tax filing for the partnership. Without knowing specifics I get the feeling that I wouldn't be allowed to file returns for the company, but when I asked the interviewers they were not sure how me being a partner in the organization changes things. Is this something I should even disclose? Or one of those situations where it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. I know filing tax returns for individuals/businesses as a CPA is a hard no, but my situation is a bit murkier.

Good luck to everyone else, and thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 15, 2019 10:53:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MICPA  
#2546 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:03:07 AM(UTC)
MICPA

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: fedswatching Go to Quoted Post

Some background on me, mid-20's, graduated with an Accounting degree in 2016, been working for an OIG (0511) since graduating, and am extremely close to obtaining my CPA license. I applied for the SB/SE division.

Quick timeline for me
I applied to the Oakland office as a GS-11, interviewed in early April, received notice that I was selected as "best qualified" and referred to selecting official in late April.
May 10th, informed that I was selected as a GS-11 Step 1, and instructed to complete the on-boarding procedures which I did same day (and left notes saying I wanted to discuss pay, and my side business)
May 14th, I made an appointment for USA access, and today (May 15) I got fingerprinted, took my ID photo.

Now, after going through all this, I still have not formally accepted the offer, nor spoken to anyone about it, and likely will not formally accept the offer if my side business is not IRS approved. Is this standard operating procedure at the IRS? Seems a bit backwards to me.

Also, is there room for negotiation? My 3rd year with the OIG is up in July, and I may be eligible for a QSI to a GS12. Now, I know full well the position is for GS-11, and I'll live with essentially staying at GS-11 for another year longer than expected, but how likely would it be that I can start at a higher step or receive a CPA bonus? Even if I get told no at every step, the revenue agent job seems like a much better fit for me and what I want to do as a job.

Additionally, what is the policy on outside employment? I'm part owner/operator of a very small/niche car dealership (online sales) and I primarily handle the accounting/bookkeeping/tax filing for the partnership. Without knowing specifics I get the feeling that I wouldn't be allowed to file returns for the company, but when I asked the interviewers they were not sure how me being a partner in the organization changes things. Is this something I should even disclose? Or one of those situations where it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. I know filing tax returns for individuals/businesses as a CPA is a hard no, but my situation is a bit murkier.

I would say disclose it so there isn’t any potential conflict of interest in the future. Idk but to me I rather have it disclosed than later find out that it was against the policy. As far as preparing returns as a cpa I was told as long I don’t accept payments I’m good. I do a few tax returns on the side as well for friends and family - not too concern about that compared to you being a partner. However, as long it’s not for someone else I don’t see any issues. I plan on starting a side hustle, rental property In the future too.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:03:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jusbnme20  
#2547 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:12:07 AM(UTC)
jusbnme20

United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: slowpoke Go to Quoted Post

Where did you apply?

I applied to Central locations
CAT B
non vet

Congratulations!! I applied for the Central area too, specifically metro DC. Hopefully, that means the Central area is not finished with selections. I know interviews were conducted by group managers but the territory managers (boss of group managers) are making the decisions.
thanks 1 user thanked jusbnme20 for this useful post.
jusbnme20  
#2548 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:16:50 AM(UTC)
jusbnme20

United States

Originally Posted by: fedswatching Go to Quoted Post

Quick timeline for me

I would discuss salary with your HR person if you have been assigned one. The business, you will definitely have to disclose to make sure there are no conflicts of interest. I know there is form to fill out for agents already there and it might be the same for new hires too. But like the other person said, disclose it early.
honeybee11  
#2549 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:18:51 AM(UTC)
honeybee11

United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 11 post(s)
sexieringlasses sent this to me in a PM:

"hi sorry I'm not able to post (still?) but could you add a status update for me to the thread?

cat a, non vet, external, Hawaii just got a TO today.

tell people there's still hope!"
thanks 8 users thanked honeybee11 for this useful post.
cooljul on 5/15/2019(UTC), N.E.R.D. on 5/15/2019(UTC), Azr on 5/15/2019(UTC), gsetaurate on 5/15/2019(UTC), Coop917 on 5/15/2019(UTC), slowpoke on 5/15/2019(UTC), IceCream26 on 5/15/2019(UTC), Jimmy81 on 5/15/2019(UTC)
jusbnme20  
#2550 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:24:41 AM(UTC)
jusbnme20

United States

"hi sorry I'm not able to post (still?) but could you add a status update for me to the thread?

Congratulations!!!! Hawaii? Nice!!
N.E.R.D.  
#2551 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:28:57 AM(UTC)
N.E.R.D.

United States

Awesome!
JCBreeez  
#2552 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:39:58 AM(UTC)
JCBreeez

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Derka Go to Quoted Post
I have received my USAccess email. I know that this does not guarantee a final offer but would this be enough to assume all is going according to plan?

Yes

Twoo  
#2553 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:50:29 AM(UTC)
Twoo

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jusbnme20 Go to Quoted Post

Congratulations!!!! Hawaii? Nice!!

Congrats!!!
JCBreeez  
#2554 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:50:59 AM(UTC)
JCBreeez

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: N.E.R.D. Go to Quoted Post
It's crazy how everything came to a halt after being rushed in the beginning. They were rushing to do interviews now we hear nothing. In the meantime, I have applied for a position at the CDC so hopefully they have a better process.

IRS be like:

APPLICATIONS MUST BE IN BEFORE THE CUTOFF DATE

but wait let's extend the cutoff date

APPLICATIONS MUST BE IN BEFORE THE NEW CUTOFF DATE

ok now wait five or six months to be called for an interview

YOU'VE GOTTA COME IN FOR AN INTERVIEW WITHIN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS

ok now we'll let you know sometime in the future maybe but probably not

TENTATIVE OFFERS MUST BE ACCEPTED WITHIN THREE DAYS

cool now just wait a while for something else to happen

This may not be the job for some, if this stresses you out. This is the madness of a bureaucracy.
thanks 1 user thanked JCBreeez for this useful post.
spence on 5/17/2019(UTC)
N.E.R.D.  
#2555 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:53:37 AM(UTC)
N.E.R.D.

United States

Originally Posted by: JCBreeez Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: N.E.R.D. Go to Quoted Post
It's crazy how everything came to a halt after being rushed in the beginning. They were rushing to do interviews now we hear nothing. In the meantime, I have applied for a position at the CDC so hopefully they have a better process.

IRS be like:

APPLICATIONS MUST BE IN BEFORE THE CUTOFF DATE

but wait let's extend the cutoff date

APPLICATIONS MUST BE IN BEFORE THE NEW CUTOFF DATE

ok now wait five or six months to be called for an interview

YOU'VE GOTTA COME IN FOR AN INTERVIEW WITHIN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS

ok now we'll let you know sometime in the future maybe but probably not

TENTATIVE OFFERS MUST BE ACCEPTED WITHIN THREE DAYS

cool now just wait a while for something else to happen

This may not be the job for some, if this stresses you out. This is the madness of a bureaucracy.

Yes. That's why I'm going to think long and hard if I do receive an offer. If I don't, I'll take it as it wasn't meant for me.
Milk Tea  
#2556 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:01:22 PM(UTC)
Milk Tea

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)

I'm SO jealous. Hawaii is the perfect state for me, but I didn't bother applying. Congrats!

*edit: can you send me some hawaii cookies :D
Rev Agent  
#2557 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:01:43 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I have a friend, who doesn't post on the forum, who just received a TO for a POD in Pennsylvania. She was catagory a external.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:02:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked for this useful post.
N.E.R.D. on 5/15/2019(UTC), Azr on 5/15/2019(UTC)
N.E.R.D.  
#2558 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:04:29 PM(UTC)
N.E.R.D.

United States

Originally Posted by: Rev Agent Go to Quoted Post
I have a friend, who doesn't post on the forum, who just received a TO for a POD in Pennsylvania. She was catagory a external.

So things are moving along, just not in the Southeast. I'm surprised I have not heard anything about the Atlanta locations.
YoungGunner  
#2559 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:05:58 PM(UTC)
YoungGunner

United States

Was thanked: 307 time(s) in 106 post(s)
Side businesses are fine, as long as it is not the businesses of bookkeeping or tax prep for money. You can do bookkeeping and tax preparation for your own businesses and some family members' businesses. You can also confirm with the Bargaining Agreement online as well as other web sources for specific information on the employment requests. The policy is in writing in several places. Google "IRS employee outside employment request"

Personally, I would not disclose it unless you are asked. It is unlikely the HR people you'll be speaking with can even do anything with that information, but I guarantee it will slp. It's a different division that approves outside employment requests, technically it is your manager, but if there is an issue about the request it goes to Labor Relations. I have had several requests, none were denied. There are plenty of agents that work other jobs or own businesses, it's commonplace.

As to your request for salary increase: This has been discussed plenty on this forum. You can always ask for more money. You need to express why (CPA only qualifies for GS9 btw, and IRS does not have formal CPA bonus) and provide documentation. Good luck.
thanks 1 user thanked YoungGunner for this useful post.
fedswatching on 5/15/2019(UTC)
GovFlyer  
#2560 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:07:16 PM(UTC)
GovFlyer

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I agree, this an agonizingly slow process but we have no definite timeline available to us as applicants.
The start dates are all subject to change and have only been verified on an open Internet forum.

We all know everything on the internet is true.

All that have received TOs May have start dates of June, August or next April. Who knows?
No need to panic, yet.
thanks 1 user thanked GovFlyer for this useful post.
N.E.R.D. on 5/15/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed