Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
STC123  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 8:38:01 AM(UTC)
STC123

Groups: Registered
United States

Hey all,

Recently I have accepted two TO’s for DOD (Army). One position requires a Secret (Pos A) and the other a NACI or Low Risk Public Trust (Pos B).

Currently Pos A is moving along much faster than Pos B which got me wondering. If i am DENIED a Secret Clearance from Pos A will I still be able to move forward with Pos B’s NACI or Low Risk Public Trust?

If I am unable to move forward with Pos B’s NACI or Low Risk Public Trust due to a the denial of a Secret Clearance at Pos A, is there anyway I could halt my current Secret Clearance process and just go for the lower NACI/Low Ris Public Trust?
rbr  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 3:57:39 AM(UTC)
rbr

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Originally Posted by: STC123 Go to Quoted Post
Hey all,

Recently I have accepted two TO’s for DOD (Army). One position requires a Secret (Pos A) and the other a NACI or Low Risk Public Trust (Pos B).

Currently Pos A is moving along much faster than Pos B which got me wondering. If i am DENIED a Secret Clearance from Pos A will I still be able to move forward with Pos B’s NACI or Low Risk Public Trust?

If I am unable to move forward with Pos B’s NACI or Low Risk Public Trust due to a the denial of a Secret Clearance at Pos A, is there anyway I could halt my current Secret Clearance process and just go for the lower NACI/Low Ris Public Trust?

Do you have things in your background that you think would deny your clearance? It honestly takes a lot to deny a clearance due to the consequences of a denial although you do have a window to appeal.....honestly, if you have enough baggage to not get a secret, you may have the same problems with the PT. Just go for both and see what happens.
STC123  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 9:39:01 AM(UTC)
STC123

United States

Originally Posted by: rbr Go to Quoted Post

Do you have things in your background that you think would deny your clearance? It honestly takes a lot to deny a clearance due to the consequences of a denial although you do have a window to appeal.....honestly, if you have enough baggage to not get a secret, you may have the same problems with the PT. Just go for both and see what happens.

To be quite frank, drug use while holding a clearance as well as visiting a soapy shop in Thailand as a young Marine. I reported it during my e-QIP and was 100% honest with my investigator during the whole process.

All incidents happened around 6 years ago and have not had had any involvement since.

Half of me is considering just denying the Secret position due to the fact I’m pretty positive I would get denied.

I would much rather just complete the SF85 for the NACI as I would have nothing to report due to the time period. However:

1) Are the requirements the same for the SF85 and SF86 for suitability? I would imagine no since they are vastly different?

2) If I deny the Secret position will they just use that investigation that was completed for the Secret for the SF85?

3) I imagine they will reference the SF86 at some point if I just go the NACI SF85 route, can they and would they deny employment due to factors outside of the timeframe?

I understand I put myself in this situation and was honest and forthcoming through out the process. At this point I just want to get my foot in the door with the federal government and want to pick the route that will give me the best chance at obtaining a position.
rbr  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 3:06:28 PM(UTC)
rbr

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Originally Posted by: STC123 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: rbr Go to Quoted Post

To be quite frank, drug use while holding a clearance as well as visiting a soapy shop in Thailand as a young Marine. I reported it during my e-QIP and was 100% honest with my investigator during the whole process.

All incidents happened around 6 years ago and have not had had any involvement since.

Half of me is considering just denying the Secret position due to the fact I’m pretty positive I would get denied.

I would much rather just complete the SF85 for the NACI as I would have nothing to report due to the time period. However:

1) Are the requirements the same for the SF85 and SF86 for suitability? I would imagine no since they are vastly different?

2) If I deny the Secret position will they just use that investigation that was completed for the Secret for the SF85?

3) I imagine they will reference the SF86 at some point if I just go the NACI SF85 route, can they and would they deny employment due to factors outside of the timeframe?

I understand I put myself in this situation and was honest and forthcoming through out the process. At this point I just want to get my foot in the door with the federal government and want to pick the route that will give me the best chance at obtaining a position.

The drug use while having a clearance is a huge issue but can be mitigated with time. Unless you were arrested and charged with prostitution, you didn't have to report the soapy experience and probably overshared. Not sure how much that admission will impact your investigation.

Agencies usually "review" prior SF-86 submissions and check for consistency. Also if you are denied a clearance, you will have a chance to appeal. Once you exhaust that appeal, you will have to report the denial on subsequent clearance applications. You can be denied by the agency for suitability reasons which is not the same thing as a clearance denial.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed