Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rob0225  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 9:41:15 AM(UTC)
rob0225

Groups: Registered
United States

I currently have a SECRET with SAP with the last awarded September 2018. I've held a SECRET clearance since 1987, retired military and now a contractor.

I am in the process of a TS (SCI) for a fed job I was selected for. I was notified that I was granted an interim clearance two weeks ago so am now in the hiring process.

I got contacted by my investigator early this week that she has some follow up from the reviewer. I had a DUI single car accident in 2008 that ended up never being charged, I was fined for failure to control vehicle to avoid an accident. I was never convicted. I did report this and previous SF86.

However, in the follow up today she mentions another alcohol related charge in 1995 that came back. As soon as she said it I knew exactly what she was talking about. I had completely forgotten about it. It wasn't an arrest, I was given a ticket for Alcohol Intoxication (AI) and only required a fine paid. I'm positive I had previously reported it on other clearance checks.

I quit drinking almost 10 years ago.

Have I screwed myself for this clearance? I don't want to get hired with the interim and then get denied a final in a few months.

Thanks.

Edited by user Thursday, May 16, 2019 9:42:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rob0225  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 1:00:48 PM(UTC)
rob0225

United States

Any adjudicators on here who wish to opine? Thanks.
rbr  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 3:13:12 PM(UTC)
rbrow018

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rob0225 Go to Quoted Post
I currently have a SECRET with SAP with the last awarded September 2018. I've held a SECRET clearance since 1987, retired military and now a contractor.

I am in the process of a TS (SCI) for a fed job I was selected for. I was notified that I was granted an interim clearance two weeks ago so am now in the hiring process.

I got contacted by my investigator early this week that she has some follow up from the reviewer. I had a DUI single car accident in 2008 that ended up never being charged, I was fined for failure to control vehicle to avoid an accident. I was never convicted. I did report this and previous SF86.

However, in the follow up today she mentions another alcohol related charge in 1995 that came back. As soon as she said it I knew exactly what she was talking about. I had completely forgotten about it. It wasn't an arrest, I was given a ticket for Alcohol Intoxication (AI) and only required a fine paid. I'm positive I had previously reported it on other clearance checks.

I quit drinking almost 10 years ago.

Have I screwed myself for this clearance? I don't want to get hired with the interim and then get denied a final in a few months.

Thanks.

Not an adjudicator but have gone through several clearance investigations. Those that are given an interim clearance rarely get denied unless they outright hid derogatory information. In your case, you have not been granted the interim prior to this information was discovered. That means if you are given an interim (highly unlikely) then you can assume that you are okay (if that is the only thing that you have to hide). The biggest reason and most easily to deny someone a clearance is "lack of candor" which can be argued in this case. It usually isn't good to be confronted by an investigator with derogatory information but its not necessarily a show stopper. You will have a chance to appeal a denial should you get one. You could always withdraw from the process but then you would be taking yourself out of consideration for the job.
liaisonguy  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2019 3:04:57 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
If these things are true:
1. The incident was in 1995.
2. It was previously reported on SF-86s, and/or periodic updates.
3. You acknowledge you forgot about it, and it should have been included again, and explain to the investigator it was a memory lapse.

Then you will be fine, this is a minor mistake.

As a comment on the system...this is pure waste of resources to send the investigator to "confront" the subject about a memory lapse. For crying out loud, people forget tickets they got 24 years ago. I bet many readers of this forum were still in diapers 24 years ago and have no memories at all of 1995.
BackGdInvestigator  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2019 4:58:06 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Unfortunately, we don't know if it was a memory lapse or a deliberate omission. Omitting issue information (to include the EVER questions)often trigger an interview.

Take the questionnaire seriously, answer the questions using the ABC method, and normally everything works out.

OP- no, you did not screw yourself if the incident was already reported. Be prepared to answer why you didn't list the required information.

Edited by user Monday, May 20, 2019 5:00:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added response to OP

*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed