Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of State

The Department of State's mission is "Advance freedom for the benefit of the American people and the international community by helping to build and sustain a more democratic, secure, and prosperous world composed of well-governed states that respond to the needs of their people, reduce widespread poverty, and act responsibly within the international system."
--From the FY 2009 Agency Financial Report, released December 2009

Perhaps you are working for the DOS or interested in working for the DOS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DOS.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PubliusFederalis  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2018 6:45:42 AM(UTC)
PubliusFederalis

Groups: Registered
United States

I've been honored with the Meritorious Honor Award by my Director. I understand about 10 years ago State stopped giving out the medal set (full size, miniature, ribbon?, and lapel pin). I'd like a set to put on my desk.

Any suggestions on places to look? It seems best chance is to find a FSO who has one and willing to part with...
FS0201  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2018 1:03:03 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 278 time(s) in 242 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PubliusFederalis Go to Quoted Post
I've been honored with the Meritorious Honor Award by my Director. I understand about 10 years ago State stopped giving out the medal set (full size, miniature, ribbon?, and lapel pin). I'd like a set to put on my desk.

Any suggestions on places to look? It seems best chance is to find a FSO who has one and willing to part with...

It seems strange to display it, if you aren’t actually given the medal... why not just display the certificate in your office? Anyway, this one looks like it is sold out, but here are some floating around eBay.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/D...i-Ribbon/323153107386?ha*****em4b3d6d19ba:g:dA0AAOSwqVdarp3U
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
PubliusFederalis  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2018 1:35:23 PM(UTC)
PubliusFederalis

United States

How is it strange? It's the same award. I sincerely don't understand why this is such a concern since I've heard this line before.

eBay is not a good place to check. Prices are way out of wack.
XDS2112  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2018 4:44:53 AM(UTC)
XDS2112

United States

Originally Posted by: PubliusFederalis Go to Quoted Post
How is it strange? It's the same award. I sincerely don't understand why this is such a concern since I've heard this line before.

eBay is not a good place to check. Prices are way out of wack.

As someone who's received this award, I personally think it's odd to buy and display the medals. But that's just me. If it's something you want to do, go for it. Some people will think it's odd but ultimately, I don't think most people will care what happens outside of their own world. I don't display anything: college degrees, awards, certificates, etc. I'm just not into the "I love me" wall/desk displays. One of my co-workers, on the other hand, has every square inch of his walls covered with every degree, diploma, certificate, award, etc. he's ever been given. To each his own.
As for ebay prices...I haven't looked but as these medals are no longer issued, they've become very rare. I've personally seen the medal sets sell for well over $1000.
0018 Hopeful  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:55:52 PM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 43 post(s)
In DOD it is common to get civilian awards, and "some people" have them sitting on their desk.

As someone who is retired military I always thought that a personal award in the form of a golden Scooby Snack that I could hang on my dog collar was stupid.

This concept was reinforced by my last active duty job. I had the unfortunate task of handling posthumous awards for Australian Defense Force servicemen and women who died in Afghanistan and Iraq while deployed with the Allied Forces. I also did regular American awards for Aussies that served with us in theater.

As an example.

Capt John Smith 2nd Infantry of Horse, Defense Superior Service Medal posthumous for getting killed by the an IED.

PO1 Jack Smith, Special Boat Service, Army Achievement Medal posthumous for getting killed by an IED. But what you don't know is that Jack Smith was killing bad guys like a superhero for 18 months and heavily involved in every single combat action the Aussies were in. A true hero, and probably someone who should have a warship named after him and get an award from the Queen.

So then I get petitions from the family and Australian service groups to try and get an upgraded medal. To which I tell them I will work on it, but this man's contribution is not measured by what award he got from the US Military, and that we (not me, but the Army folks in theater) dropped the ball.

Or I would get petitions from the family of long deceased Australian servicemen asking for some type of military award for cousin Vinnie who was some how involved in WW1 or WW2 with the US, but has been dead since the 1930s.

Australians have a sort of weird relationship with military awards, they are not allowed to be sold on ebay or traded. Only the original family of the awardee can own them. So having a set of awards from some long lost uncle is a huge thing. I digressed there a bit.

At one time I was not immune from award envy, I was promised an award for processing awards by the Army folks in Afghanistan (initially I thought, yeah that's a great idea). Eventually I came to my senses and realized it was stupid that people were literally dying to get awards and I was a big fat turkey sitting at the Embassy 6000 miles away, and no longer deploying to the war zone. So I told them I didn't want anything, and ended up using it as a running joke. Because I had decreased the timeline to get awards and cleaned up a lot of the processes for the both governments in the speed awards got out.

Then about 8 months before I retired (still at the embassy), I was told that I was doing a good job and I was going to get a either a Defense Meritorious Service Medal or a Meritorious Service Medal on retirement. I joked with my boss and told them I wanted a Coast Guard Pistol Marksman award, as I was pretty soured on awards by then and I didn't actually need an award.

I didn't get the DMSM as promised, or even a MSM, hell I didn't even get a CG Pistol award (this is the lowest award at the time in the military). I got a Joint Service Commendation Medal as a retirement award, so even though I was promised one thing I got another.

Another time after service in Kosovo I was honored with the NATO Medal, as we flew missions into Kosovo and did a lot of good there in the slaughter that was going on. A few years later they came out with a Kosovo Medal, and some people claim you can wear the Kosovo medal if you want with the NATO. I was never issued the Kosovo medal. I probably earned it, but it was not a thing when I served. So I never bought one to wear.

The award went in the trashcan when I got home from my retirement. The citation went in the package with my DD214 paperwork, and once I actually out-processed and officially retired it too was trashed.

I didn't need an award to do a good job taking care of Australian veterans.

I don't need or want an award now, if you want to give me an award I'll take a step increase, or time off or a bonus. If you can't do that then just let me do my job. A six pack of decent beer on my desk at 1500 is fine too.

The problem with awards is they are not generally timely, they are usually wrong, and the amount of half-assery involved in the giving and taking of awards is generally substantial.

My understanding of why there is no longer a ribbon set for this award has something to do with the same reason that diplomats no longer wear a diplomatic uniform.

You were given the honor of the award, not the honor of the medals. These are not the same thing in my book, and if they aren't produced anymore there is probably a reason for it. Your award is no less prestigious without the medals, but in all honesty you didn't earn the medals so I wouldn't pursue their ownership.

Yes beyond thinking it is weird, there will be those that think less of you for purchasing an "I love me set of medals" when they aren't issued anymore.
PubliusFederalis  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 11:27:57 AM(UTC)
PubliusFederalis

United States

Your response is one of the reasons I don’t come here often. I encounter ignorance daily, and don’t need more of it.

Yes, I worked for DoD. If I got a medal there I would display it. I did find the miniature and *proudly* display it alongside my name display. Good Lord. It’s all the same award. This isn’t Stolen Valor so yes I earned it.

And the reason they’re not made was because of cost and quality control issues. It’s a shame because civil servants deserve recognition too.

Regarding those who “think less” of me, presumably including you, I could not care less. I earned it. I’m proud. Period.

Interesting how all I asked for was sources to find this medal set yet I get unsolicited opinions based on nothing more than one’s perception.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed