Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sommer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 5:20:31 PM(UTC)
sommer

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello!

I started a new job and the tour of duty was prior to 6 a.m. The official hours were stated in the job announcement. For a long while, I was not paid night differential pay for hours before 6 a.m. When the timekeeper tried to change the work schedule in the time keeping system, for the dates I was not paid correctly, she was unable to do so. She was only able to change it going forward.

This adds up to a significant amount of money plus the interest in retro pay.

Not sure how to go about getting reimbursed or where to begin. This was the employers error from the beginning. I thought I should be paid night diff for hours prior to 6 a.m., but trusted them as the experts and talked myself out of being entitled to it so I did not make an issue out of it.

Thanks for reading and advice
King_Fed  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2019 8:13:42 AM(UTC)
King_Fed

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
HR supervisor.... that is where I'd start. I'd also loop my supervisor in to ensure there are no issues there. Could be the supervisor does not know the rules and is simply following "it has always been like this" or "I'm too busy to research this".

I would more than likely drop as wanting to help management and understand the rules for potential further advancement or whatever (aka turn into a positive so management does not look inept, even if they are or seem to be).
SD Analyst  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2019 3:31:21 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 415 time(s) in 354 post(s)
Payroll Supervisor/Comptroller's Office are who will need to make the correction. Maybe the Timekeeper's Supervisor? HR will just refer you back to Payroll. They need to do a "Prior Pay Period Correction." Don't let it drop, trying to "be nice." This is money out of your pocket that they owe you.

Edited by user Monday, June 3, 2019 3:32:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The HalfBreed  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2019 6:48:33 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 27 post(s)
King Fed and SD Analyst nailed it for sure.
I spent 35 years working 24/7/365 and know for sure (in my case, FAA) 6p-6a was 10% differential, Sunday was 25% additional....
and Sunday Mid - 6am.....or.....6pm - Mid was an additional 10% for a total of 35% Shift Diff for those 12 hours. Go Get your Money. You earned it.
I won't get into Holidays, as we either worked all of them, or had In-Lieu of days because it happened to fall on our days off.
RETIRED 12/19/2012 @ age 57
Good Bye Tension...Hello Pension !
FrankJr  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:37:35 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 114 time(s) in 105 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sommer Go to Quoted Post
Hello!

I started a new job and the tour of duty was prior to 6 a.m. The official hours were stated in the job announcement. For a long while, I was not paid night differential pay for hours before 6 a.m. When the timekeeper tried to change the work schedule in the time keeping system, for the dates I was not paid correctly, she was unable to do so. She was only able to change it going forward.

This adds up to a significant amount of money plus the interest in retro pay.

Not sure how to go about getting reimbursed or where to begin. This was the employers error from the beginning. I thought I should be paid night diff for hours prior to 6 a.m., but trusted them as the experts and talked myself out of being entitled to it so I did not make an issue out of it.

Thanks for reading and advice

Clarify "a long time" and "a significant amount of money". In similar situations the correction covered the prior 7 years. Do not expect the process to be quick or easy, especially if the process involves very few employees or if the process does not include the support of the union.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed