Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Social Security Administration

The Social Security Administration (SSA) is an independent agency of the United States federal government that administers Social Security, a social insurance program consisting of retirement, disability, and survivors' benefits. To qualify for these benefits, most American workers pay Social Security taxes on their earnings; future benefits are based on the employees' contributions. (Source: Wikipedia)

Perhaps you are working for the SSA or interested in working for the SSA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the SSA.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dark Darling  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 4, 2019 1:45:04 PM(UTC)
Dark Darling

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi All,

I'm an Attorney Advisor with SSA and as some of you all know, the overtime has been cut due to lack of a writing backlog. The union just sent an email stating that overtime would not be available for the foreseeable future, but of course, that is not totally specific range. Does anyone have any more insight on when overtime will possibly be available again? I've heard that the work is clogged further up the pipeline (like at the reconsideration phase or something) and that there will be work eventually, but does anyone know when that eventually is as far as a time frame. I have relied on the overtime and am just wondering if this is permanent, because if so I don't know about looking for other job opportunities/promotions, or even something else to supplement my income.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2019 3:00:11 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 967 time(s) in 770 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dark Darling Go to Quoted Post
Hi All,

I'm an Attorney Advisor with SSA and as some of you all know, the overtime has been cut due to lack of a writing backlog. The union just sent an email stating that overtime would not be available for the foreseeable future, but of course, that is not totally specific range. Does anyone have any more insight on when overtime will possibly be available again? I've heard that the work is clogged further up the pipeline (like at the reconsideration phase or something) and that there will be work eventually, but does anyone know when that eventually is as far as a time frame. I have relied on the overtime and am just wondering if this is permanent, because if so I don't know about looking for other job opportunities/promotions, or even something else to supplement my income.
1st. NEVER rely on overtime to pay bills. You are now seeing why this is.

2nd. Start looking at USAJOBS to see what other positions are out there...and try for a promotion. Moving may be needed for this though.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Sussman  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2019 3:04:54 AM(UTC)
Sussman

United States

As someone who managed to escape the SSA, the only real solution is to gtfo. There is no career with the SSA for an actual attorney. If you want to actually practice law, and get paid to do so, you have to go to another agency. The only "attorneys" who stay with the SSA are people who started as GS-2s, got their law degree part time while working, and then were hired by the Agency to become writers. That's why they are able to treat them like garbage, pay them nothing, and work them to death. I thank God every day I got out. I hope you can also. Best wishes.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed