Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Al329  
#21 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2019 4:20:08 PM(UTC)
Al329

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)

Pennies - bad
Roundabout - good

JDSIII  
#22 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2019 10:17:37 PM(UTC)
JDSIII

Man
United States

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I thought about this post this morning when I went to our local shoppette for coffee. They will take pennies, they just keep them on hand for change to give back out.
Al329  
#23 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 2:52:23 AM(UTC)
Al329

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)

Have run into people who have issues with the price of gas at the overseas AAFES gas station.

"Back in South blah blah or wherever gas is only 1.99 ... here its 2.50 a gallon. **? AAFES is ripping us off!?!"

Always makes me ask .. would you rather pay local prices?

LilBits  
#24 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 2:06:16 PM(UTC)
LilBits

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Pennies, Gas prices! I say if you prefer the price of gas back home or want to use pennies move back home. The day your OCONUS position posts there will be 100+ applicants knocking down the door begging for your job. I hate when people complain about non-senses. Some people complain just to complain, no time for whiny entitled idiots.

Edited by user Friday, June 14, 2019 2:09:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CivSer67  
#25 Posted : Sunday, June 16, 2019 9:15:08 PM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Al329 Go to Quoted Post

Have run into people who have issues with the price of gas at the overseas AAFES gas station.

"Back in South blah blah or wherever gas is only 1.99 ... here its 2.50 a gallon. **? AAFES is ripping us off!?!"

Always makes me ask .. would you rather pay local prices?

The real problem with gas through AAFES are multiple issues...
(1) They advertise that they are the national average which they are not, nor have they been for years. Today on AFN, it was stated that regular unleaded gas was $2.71/Gallon. Friday, I had business on Ramstein at NATO HQ and i saw it for $3.41 i think... huge difference.
(2) AAFES is supposed to be tax free, yet there is a tax imposed on fuel here in Europe... why?
FatHappyCat  
#26 Posted : Sunday, June 16, 2019 11:37:00 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 91 post(s)
1 - AAFES gas price policy is not set at the national average for its overseas. Specifically it states:

AAFES overseas fuel prices, as approved by its military board of directors, are based on the U.S. Department of Energy's weekly average for each grade of gasoline in the continental U.S., plus the unique incremental costs incurred in each overseas market

In some of its more secluded locations, it wouldn't be able to provide gas at all if it charged the national average. Here in Germany, along with most of the world minus the US, we get our gas based on the Brent Crude index and not the WTI used in the states which is more expensive.

2 - AAFES is tax-free. A tax is a government directed charge used to benefit the government, ie state, local, income, sales, etc. I know the commissary has a 5% surcharge. When I get gas on any base here in Germany, I haven't seen any tax charges on the receipt; maybe a surcharge?

Edited by user Monday, June 17, 2019 5:05:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CivSer67  
#27 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 4:30:04 AM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Originally Posted by: FatHappyCat Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: CivSer67 Go to Quoted Post

1 - AAFES gas price policy is not set at the national average for its overseas. Specifically it states:

AAFES overseas fuel prices, as approved by its military board of directors, are based on the U.S. Department of Energy's weekly average for each grade of gasoline in the continental U.S., plus the unique incremental costs incurred in each overseas market

In some of its more secluded locations, it wouldn't be able to provide gas at all if it charged the national average. Here in Germany, along with most of the world minus the US, we get our gas based on the Brent Crude index and not the WTI used in the states which is more expensive.

2 - AAFES is tax-free. A tax is a government directed charge used to benefit the government, ie state, local, income, sales, etc. I know the commissary has a 5% surcharge. When I get gas on any base here in Germany, I haven't seen any tax charges on the receipt; maybe a surcharge?

I'm not arguing with you, but AFN Radio states otherwise concerning the national average statement.
FatHappyCat  
#28 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 5:11:18 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 91 post(s)
It's unfortunate - I hear the same thing everyday just like thousands of others probably. I had the same question you had until I looked it up. :(
CivSer67  
#29 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 5:13:59 AM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

I also found this article in Stars n Stripes

"AAFES gas prices are set using a market-based pricing strategy. The current policy, established in 2001, sets the price based on the Department of Energy’s monthly average for each grade of gasoline in the continental United States, plus the costs AAFES incurs in each overseas market."
Rss Feed  Atom Feed