Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thebattlewalrus  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 20, 2019 2:01:49 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

had this topic originally in the wrong topic location so moved it here.

I am a GS12 step 6 (permanent) that was offered a job in a different command. The position is a GS12 permanent reassignment - different job series. I had planned on trying to negotiate a step increase but CPAC sent me the offer letter and it was a GS12 step 9, I called and confirmed it was correct with CPAC before formally accepting and was told it was correct. During the interview process, promotion potential/opportunities were discussed, I have held GS13 details in the past so it was a known point that I was looking for better financial positioning, so I was under the impression that is why I had a few step increases offered. SF50 came today and it showed the reassignment and it was still a step 6, emailed CPAC and was told the step 9 was a mistake and I'm stuck as a 6.

I accepted this offer as a step 9 since it was the best option of the others that I was working. Specifically, I backed out of another federal job interview processes and a non-government interview process that would have offered better options than the current step 6. Additionally, I was offered another federal interview that I turned down two weeks ago since I was getting ready to start this new position. I am honestly not sure if I would have accepted this job as a step 6, I may have worked my other options and seen how they panned out, pretty big hit to the face considering it was roughly a $7500 a year pay increase I thought I had.

I have not replied to CPACs email yet but I am not sure if I can negotiate something at this point? Am I screwed?
FS0201  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 20, 2019 3:32:15 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 277 time(s) in 241 post(s)
Originally Posted by: thebattlewalrus Go to Quoted Post
had this topic originally in the wrong topic location so moved it here.

I am a GS12 step 6 (permanent) that was offered a job in a different command. The position is a GS12 permanent reassignment - different job series. I had planned on trying to negotiate a step increase but CPAC sent me the offer letter and it was a GS12 step 9, I called and confirmed it was correct with CPAC before formally accepting and was told it was correct. During the interview process, promotion potential/opportunities were discussed, I have held GS13 details in the past so it was a known point that I was looking for better financial positioning, so I was under the impression that is why I had a few step increases offered. SF50 came today and it showed the reassignment and it was still a step 6, emailed CPAC and was told the step 9 was a mistake and I'm stuck as a 6.

I accepted this offer as a step 9 since it was the best option of the others that I was working. Specifically, I backed out of another federal job interview processes and a non-government interview process that would have offered better options than the current step 6. Additionally, I was offered another federal interview that I turned down two weeks ago since I was getting ready to start this new position. I am honestly not sure if I would have accepted this job as a step 6, I may have worked my other options and seen how they panned out, pretty big hit to the face considering it was roughly a $7500 a year pay increase I thought I had.

I have not replied to CPACs email yet but I am not sure if I can negotiate something at this point? Am I screwed?

Not likely to get anything, step 6 is appropriate. No negotiations for a lateral move.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed